moral philosophy in the lives that we live

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: moral philosophy in the lives that we live

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:35 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
My point is always that there does not appear to be a way using the tools of philosophy to pin down that which it is said
that all truly rational human beings are obligated to think and feel about all of this

Philosophy is not mathematics in that it cannot be objectively demonstrated to the satisfaction of absolutely everyone
There are always going to be alternatives to any proposition so universal agreement is virtually impossible to guarantee

Well, in regard to the either/or world -- things that seem to in fact be true for all of us -- the tools of philosophy hold their own with the tools of science.

Something is either noted logically and rationally regarding a thing that we can know or it's not. And this can then be demonstrated one way or the other.

At least until we go down really deep and explore what actually does unfold regarding the interaction of human biology, human perceptions, human conceptions and human behaviors. How they all fit together...ontologically? Teleologically?

My aim on this thread is always to distinguish between I in the either/or world and "i'" in the is/ought world.

It is in the is/ought world that the components of my own moral philosophy -- nihilism -- kick in.

But: as no more than an existential contraption. Which I then presume is apllicable to others as well.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Re: moral philosophy in the lives that we live

Postby iambiguous » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 pm

I have a song on my music thread that explores the contempt that both the Nazis and the Communists had for jazz music.

This one:

Robert Palmer, Lisa Dalbello
Rules Are Made To Be Broken
https://youtu.be/2u3ucVDdyyM
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy