It's always existed

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: It's always existed

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:17 pm

You guys are arguing just to argue.

The counting numbers are a MODALITY of logic.

A culture that cannot abstract different modalities is stupider than one that can.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8917
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: It's always existed

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Ecmandu wrote:You guys are arguing just to argue.
And now you are mind reading and poorly. Actually I think it is an important point, thank you very much. So, now I disagree with your argument, but have an added irritation that you choose to attribute incorrect motives to me. A consent violation you could have easily avoided. I think people overestimate deduction and I think this is very important. It is a very good type of reasoning, but I think certainly is so affected by the potential and known biases of being embodied creatures of a specific type in a specific place and time and with the limited potentially skewed perception we have, these are often not proofs at all. I think people run around with incredibly certainly over things that are not certain, and this 1) creates greater conflict and consent violation 2) makes it take longer for people to realize old models and theories are wrong 3) inhibits discussion. So, I am not arguing just to argue. Poor mind reading on your part.

The counting numbers are a MODALITY of logic.

A culture that cannot abstract different modalities is stupider than one that can.
I don't think this is a relevent point, but since you didn't integrate it into an argument with any points I made, who knows?

This is a pattern I find with you: you present a 'proof'. I don't think it holds. I object to it with specific points. You re-assert your conclusions and do not interact with criticisms. And now you add in ad homs.

I can't work with that. So, I'll leave you with your thread.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Karpel,

All you did was list about 4 different modalities of logic ... they are not disproof of the well ordered set of counting numbers.

I then went on to clearly state that a culture that cannot abstract the counting numbers is stupider than one that can.

I actually did address all of your points.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8917
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: It's always existed

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Karpel,

All you did was list about 4 different modalities of logic

I did not do this. Maybe S did.

... they are not disproof of the well ordered set of counting numbers.
I did not set out to disprove that.

I then went on to clearly state that a culture that cannot abstract the counting numbers is stupider than one that can.
Which has nothing to do with the points I made.

I actually did address all of your points.
Nope.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby MagsJ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Banned user for reason “A one day ban, to reassess why you are here.. perhaps you need a break from the boards?”
» Ecmandu

FYI, in regard to any expectant replies.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: It's always existed

Postby commentary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Karpel,

You clearly stated that God could make us all not understand the well ordered set of counting numbers as rational. I made the argument that they by definition must be under delusion from God, by explaining that we have different modalities … i answered your question
commentary
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby promethean75 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:34 pm

^^^

I think that's ecmandu. He's probably using a hyperdimensional IP address.

Get him, mags!
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby commentary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:36 pm

promethean75 wrote:^^^

I think that's ecmandu. He's probably using a hyperdimensional IP address.

Get him, mags!


It is me. I'm not trying to hide it.
commentary
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby promethean75 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm

You wait until mags gets home from work, buster.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby commentary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 pm

promethean75 wrote:You wait until mags gets home from work, buster.


She's out of her depth, but she can push buttons on computers, I'll give her that, the demonstration of what she represents as a power monger, and not a philosopher.
commentary
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby promethean75 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm at Subway eating fresh. I realized something upon closer inspection of the prep bar; the cheddar cheese slices are actually 3/32 thicker than the other cheeses. I never noticed this before. I'm getting cheddar from here on out.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby commentary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 pm

promethean75 wrote:I'm at Subway eating fresh. I realized something upon closer inspection of the prep bar; the cheddar cheese slices are actually 3/32 thicker than the other cheeses. I never noticed this before. I'm getting cheddar from here on out.


provalone is the best. Sorry to inform you. You should ask them to stock gouda.
commentary
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Re: It's always existed

Postby MagsJ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:15 pm

This guy is too funny! wants to debate, after he doesn’t debate.. even though the evidence is presented to him in links and posts, then demands people debate.. even though I’ve stopped engaging directly with the person, and shall remain as such.

Who’d want to debate someone they think is a rubbish Philosopher, and themselves a logistician.. a twit, perhaps. :-k

I don’t want a reply.. I won’t be able to stop laughing otherwise. 8-[


@Prom.. I’d rather not get him, engage with him in dialogue, or have any other direct interaction with this person. This is too funny though, lol.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 18761
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: It's always existed

Postby commentary » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 pm

MagsJ wrote:This guy is too funny! wants to debate, after he doesn’t debate.. even though the evidence is presented to him in links and posts, then demands people debate.. even though I’ve stopped engaging directly with the person, and shall remain as such.

Who’d want to debate someone they think is a rubbish Philosopher, and themselves a logistician.. a twit, perhaps. :-k

I don’t want a reply.. I won’t be able to stop laughing otherwise. 8-[


Them's fighting words. I offer to debate anyone here in the debate forums who makes such a slander to debate me, and they all run and cower.
commentary
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Previous

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot], Silhouette