Challenge To Tentative: On Bullshit Morality And Ethics

Use this forum to suggest topics, and to find others to debate with.

Challenge To Tentative: On Bullshit Morality And Ethics

Postby James L Walker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 am

Tentative: Your assumptions include an all-or-none perspective. That there are contradictions and inconsistencies is just as much a part of ethics and morality as your 'pure' vision. That a pure ideology isn't met doesn't mean that ethics are morality don't exist.

I would like to challenge you on that perspective along with any petty fictional moral or ethical valuations you might hold in belief.

Care to accept my challenge?
"The state calls its own violence law, but that of the individual crime."
-Max Stirner-

"Laws are made by governments and are enforced by violence." - Leo Tolstoy-

"I am a disciple of chaos. I like to watch civilization burn and despair." - By Me

"Propaganda of the deed." - Bonnot Gang 1912

"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet airplane. My son's son will ride a camel just like my father before him."- Arab Peak Oil Proverb

"Civilization is nothing more than a globalized overly worshipped farm where the owners violently and oppressively domesticate other human beings like enslaved cattle enforcing the direction of their labors for their own individual profit."- Random Anarcho Primitivist
James L Walker
Loki

Re: Challenge To Tentative: On Bullshit Morality And Ethics

Postby tentative » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 am

Joker, there really wouldn't be any point in trying to discuss the issue. Your concepts are in black and white and I see only grey. But just to point out the futility of seeking out that which is moral or ethical, one only has to look at the mores of all the societies scattered over the earth. All have a bit of commonality, but just kinda. And some are contradictory - even inside their own society. Maggie Mead coined a couple of terms in her sociological studies. There is etic - what we say is moral. Then there is metic - what we actually perform. They don't always match up. What is moral or ethical is both local and provisional despite all the philosophical castles in the sky.

This is a subject that has been beaten into the ground too many times, and no, other than my few sentences in the other thread, I have no desire to pursue the subject.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative

Postby James L Walker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:31 am

Come on Tentative! Debate me!

If you are so strong in these held convictions of yours allow some scrutiny in debate.
-Max Stirner-

"I am a disciple of chaos. I like to watch civilization burn and despair." - By Me

"My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet airplane. My son's son will ride a camel just like my father before him."- Arab Peak Oil Proverb

"Civilization is nothing more than a globalized overly worshipped farm where the owners violently and oppressively domesticate other human beings like enslaved cattle enforcing the direction of their labors for their own individual profit."- Random Anarcho Primitivist
James L Walker
Loki

Postby James S Saint » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 am

State your position a little more clearly, and I might take you up on it. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby James L Walker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:33 pm

James S Saint wrote:State your position a little more clearly, and I might take you up on it. 8)

Morality and ethics are deluded fanciful socially constructed fictions or metanarratives used to control the behaviors of each other.
-Max Stirner-

James L Walker
Loki

Postby James L Walker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:37 pm

tentative wrote:Joker, there really wouldn't be any point in trying to discuss the issue. Your concepts are in black and white and I see only grey. But just to point out the futility of seeking out that which is moral or ethical, one only has to look at the mores of all the societies scattered over the earth. All have a bit of commonality, but just kinda. And some are contradictory - even inside their own society. Maggie Mead coined a couple of terms in her sociological studies. There is etic - what we say is moral. Then there is metic - what we actually perform. They don't always match up. What is moral or ethical is both local and provisional despite all the philosophical castles in the sky.

This is a subject that has been beaten into the ground too many times, and no, other than my few sentences in the other thread, I have no desire to pursue the subject.

The mores scattered all over the earth are relative. Commonalities are similar but not the same where the fictional apparatus constructing the need to control others is definitely the only thing that is same.

And some are contradictory - even inside their own society.

How can constructed absolutes be contradictive?

They always claim to be the final interpretation on everything.

Finality describes noncontradiction yet in actuality that is just not the case.
Maggie Mead coined a couple of terms in her sociological studies. There is etic - what we say is moral. Then there is metic - what we actually perform. They don't always match up. What is moral or ethical is both local and provisional despite all the philosophical castles in the sky.

When something does not quite match up it becomes a great time to become skeptical.

Too bad. Everybody would rather blindly believe in fictional slave morality and ethics instead describing them as real.
-Max Stirner-

James L Walker
Loki

Return to Challenges