Vote on Democracy Vs. Dictators

Use this forum to suggest topics, and to find others to debate with.

Re: Vote on Democracy Vs. Dictators

Postby Tab » Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm kinda booked at the moment. Pav and I will debate the death penalty's expansion fairly soon, and I wanna take on Faust concerning something to do with justice sometime after that.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Tab » Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby barcelonic » Fri May 18, 2012 12:29 am

tab whats the death penalty expansion? im in the UK so US news travels slow lol
truth and socratic truth // scientists should not believe everything is knowable // i wanna know how all this happened but i know I never can
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
barcelonic

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Fri May 18, 2012 3:43 am

barcelonic wrote:tab whats the death penalty expansion? im in the UK so US news travels slow lol

There is no news, unfortunately. It is simply my opinion that the death penalty should be expanded to include virtually every felony.

I also like your Debate topic. I think virtually anyone would be hard-pressed to adequately defend the notion that, "Innocent until proven guilty," is what actually takes place. If you were truly, "Innocent until proven guilty," then how could you ever possibly be arrested and spend time in jail before your trial?
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby barcelonic » Fri May 18, 2012 4:09 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:
barcelonic wrote:tab whats the death penalty expansion? im in the UK so US news travels slow lol

There is no news, unfortunately. It is simply my opinion that the death penalty should be expanded to include virtually every felony.

I also like your Debate topic. I think virtually anyone would be hard-pressed to adequately defend the notion that, "Innocent until proven guilty," is what actually takes place. If you were truly, "Innocent until proven guilty," then how could you ever possibly be arrested and spend time in jail before your trial?

oh ok wow - so if i comitted arson on an empty abandoned building due for demolition, do i deserve to die? hmm.... :)
truth and socratic truth // scientists should not believe everything is knowable // i wanna know how all this happened but i know I never can
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
barcelonic

Postby Tab » Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:02 am

Barcelonic wrote: comitted arson on an empty abandoned building due for demolition, do i deserve to die? hmm....

In a word, yes.

Why would you do that?

Would younot consider that kids love abandoned buildings, and thus, could be in there playing whenever you decide to set that fire?

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Tab » Sat May 19, 2012 10:34 am

Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Tab » Sat May 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Don't want to worry anyone, but the week's pretty much up.

You don't want that nasty Tab to win, now do you..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Sat May 19, 2012 8:36 pm

So democracy is going to win by voting Shocker... 8)
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

Postby Tab » Sun May 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Are we calling this one..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby barcelonic » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:Would younot consider that kids love abandoned buildings, and thus, could be in there playing whenever you decide to set that fire?

If there were kids in there it wouldn't be abandoned lol
barcelonic

Postby Tab » Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 pm

[as per usual me and Stoic will bump the living shit out of this thread, until at least 9 votes are in or a week's up, whichever comes first]

Well, it's been 9 days, so I, in my capacity as no-one in particular, declare the voting closed.

Last call:

Tab 5
Stoic 1

Thanks to everyone who voted, and thanks to Stoic for participating.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:09 am

barcelonic wrote:
PavlovianModel146 wrote:Would younot consider that kids love abandoned buildings, and thus, could be in there playing whenever you decide to set that fire?

I thought by, "Abandoned," you meant, "No longer is use or regularly occupied." That's how I would have used the word. I now notice that you also said, "Empty," so, my apologies.

What if they entered the back while you started the fire in the front, or vice-versa? What if your flames caught a nearby (occupied) home on fire?

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby barcelonic » Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:
barcelonic wrote:

I thought by, "Abandoned," you meant, "No longer is use or regularly occupied." That's how I would have used the word. I now notice that you also said, "Empty," so, my apologies.

What if they entered the back while you started the fire in the front, or vice-versa? What if your flames caught a nearby (occupied) home on fire?

I think my point was more that crimes are adjudicated after the fact. It is up to you what your view is on the matter, it's just that arson is one crime and murder & manslaughter are different charges.

You said, "...virtually every felony" and I was just asking whether you believe arson should be included (just arson - no added charges)?
barcelonic

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 am

Yes.

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby barcelonic » Wed May 23, 2012 6:42 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:Yes.

Fair enough

If I end up a judge on that i promise i'll consider both argments as objectively as i can :)
barcelonic

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 am

I will make sound arguments, Tab will make better ones. You cannot become better at Chess if you don't play superior opponents, though.

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Moreno » Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 am

PavlovianModel146 wrote:There is no news, unfortunately. It is simply my opinion that the death penalty should be expanded to include virtually every felony.
I agree but only with white collar crimes.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby barcelonic » Thu May 24, 2012 5:27 pm

so when is that debate happening and who's in it and judging etc.....

Interesting topic for sure
barcelonic

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 pm

You're a Judge.

I'm waiting for Tab to decide whether or not we should each pick a Judge, or if you should pick the other two. He's busy with finals over there this week, so it'll probably start early next week.

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Tab » Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 pm

I think Barcelonic should choose, otherwise trajicomic will heckle us again.

Finals are on wed/thur next week, and my kid's just been circumcised so I'm a bit busy at the moment. Weekend after next sounds do-able.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Trajicomic won't be here until he thinks of another handle and gets a new IP address/E-Mail set up.

The weekend after next works for me. I don't have much of a reputation for rushing these things ever since the Time Limits I tried in the ILP/ILO Debates failed miserably.

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Tab » Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 pm

Aw, poor tc got the chop..? I'm literally flooding with tears right now.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Wait a minute, if the date above this is accurate,http://writeitorbust.blogspot.com/2012/06/democracy-vs-dictators.html then that mean tab aready had most of his argument written...
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges