Viruses and evolution

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Viruses and evolution

Postby Mowk » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Really brief article.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human- ... evolution/

Would any life have evolved as we have without the affects of viruses? Seems a rather novel twist to forcing life to evolve by killing it in the process.
Mowk
Philosopher

Re: Viruses and evolution

Postby Mowk » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:13 pm

I am repeatedly hearing from the press and statements they are reporting on that No One is Immune.

Certainly there is a wide range of resistance, from not at all resistant to highly resistant. Those with the least resistance and or other underlying medical conditions die. Those with the most resistance, in other words those who are asymptomatic end up spreading the virus unknowingly. A virus's genetic material ends up encoded in human genetic material. It becomes a trait in human reproduction.

Seems like with all the gene sequencing capacity we have, we should be able to isolate the gene or genes responsible for this resistance. Trace this back through genealogy to it's source. Determine that ancestry, if you are related, you would be resistant to getting killed by the virus unless you had other underlying medical conditions.
Last edited by Mowk on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Mowk wrote:I am repeatedly hearing from the press and statements they are reporting on is: No one is immune.
I don't see how they could know that. They can't have tested large numbers of people who are not showing symptoms. I mean, that's a waste of labor in a time when health care systems are in crisis. They may have found that some people who show no symptoms are carriers and can infect others. But I can't see any way they could draw a blanket conclusion.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Mowk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:50 am

I don't either.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:37 pm

I am repeatedly hearing from the press and statements they are reporting on that No One is Immune.

That's because if you say that some people are immune, then a bunch of dimwits are going to think that they are immune and they are going to spread the virus by breaking the isolation rules and being careless.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:09 pm

phyllo wrote:

That's because if you say that some people are immune, then a bunch of dimwits are going to think that they are immune and they are going to spread the virus by breaking the isolation rules and being careless.
To lie about one's knowledge as a government official or someone representing science or medical authorities has both short term and long term bad side effects. You may well be right, but I think it's a bad approach.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:19 pm

I would say it's a bad approach too.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:26 pm

On a side, there has been a rapidly growing interest in the subject, whereby the host parasite relationship has been pointed to as of being significant: not only from the point of view of archaic bat-virus relationship, but of a tangential one- with bio-social implications.

The objective here is a rexamination of evolutionary principles, as per too sudden evolutionary progressions, causing animal extinguishing effects.

The balance of nature has perhaps been upset by unnatural lapses in that progression, sort of a trickle down effect that sudden environmental changes have caused ?

{Merely a hypothetical, although a myriad of references can be offered on request}
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby Mowk » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Thanks Meno_ I was originally thinking along that linage as well. But it was a poorly worded opening post on my part.
Mowk
Philosopher

Return to Science, Technology, and Math