Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:54 pm

Too much anthropomorphism around here. Although it is human to have to name something in order to feel that it is known, Jesus is a force called Love, not a person to be accused of doing human things. God's plan as evidenced in Nature is creative evolution of organisms. In this sense God is an active force, not a personality; and, science and religion are not compelled to balk over such spurious terms as supernatural. God is the glue that binds organic and inorganic cycles and ecosystems together. This is the way of the natural world. Our morality belongs to the active recognition that we are an integral part of the systems by which Nature thrives. Atheists and agnostics are still compelled to recognize they are part of the larger whole of nature and are obligated to seeing that the future is physically viable, not a waste land killed by ravages of ego.


That's cool, but what if God is a person? When guessing (and that's all we're doing, as well as settling upon something that we find that we actually believe regardless of whether or not it is objectively true) about the nature of the external world, anything is possible (that's logically possible).
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby surreptitious75 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Well if God is human then he cannot be omnipotent or omniscient or omnibenevolent or indeed any other omni
And so were this true there would be no reason to worship him and all those that are doing so would have to realise this - not that they would stop
The only thing one can be absolutely certain about him is that he represents the highest ideal of human imagination but beyond that nothing at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Well if God is human then he cannot be omnipotent or omniscient or omnibenevolent or indeed any other omni


While "biological" humans do not and perhaps cannot have "omni" qualities, a human consciousness qua a human consciousness perhaps can be "omni", in a way in which a human or human-like consciousness can.

And so were this true there would be no reason to worship him and all those that are doing so would have to realise this - not that they would stop


If a person has a belief that this being will provide and maintain one's existence for all future time, and that the person will ensure the eternal existence is constantly and consistently happy, appreciation results in some that inspires or impels them to worship and adore the being.

The only thing one can be absolutely certain about him is that he represents the highest ideal of human imagination but beyond that nothing at all


You're right. "Ideal", if you take off the "l" spells "idea". The only thing we know for certain about God is the idea of God and the idea of his qualities, abilities, and if there are any...limitations. But the same goes for anything that is believed or entertained to exist in the external world.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 pm

A natural God cannot be described by any single aspect of creation such as minds or the supernatural mythologies about how minds extend or could be. Natural God is realized in the creation and sustaining of the known universe. Natural God is experienced by every thing that exists. Natural God is pure activity with no need of human prayers and supplications in order to act. The God of Mind, constructed by the human ego, will be unable to prevent human interference in the operations of ecosystems . The God of Mind has never prevented natural disasters or mass suffering.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Ierrellus:

A natural God cannot be described by any single aspect of creation such as minds or the supernatural mythologies about how minds extend or could be. Natural God is realized in the creation and sustaining of the known universe. Natural God is experienced by every thing that exists.


Natural God=Existence itself?

Natural God is pure activity with no need of human prayers and supplications in order to act. The God of Mind, constructed by the human ego, will be unable to prevent human interference in the operations of ecosystems.


And yet the God of Mind, even if idealistically constructed by the human ego, could objectively exist and inform the human mind as to its existence and qualities around the "white noise" of human ego and the "doing of x in the name of God".

The God of Mind has never prevented natural disasters or mass suffering.


In my Pantheopsychic Theism, the God of Mind accidentally and helplessly creates natural disasters and mass suffering in a non-lucid dream. Another personality of the God of Mind rectifies these in the afterlife or by intermittent interference.

Natural disasters and the ecosystem, by the way, are actually illusions of consciousness, as only the consciousness of persons exist, and the world we experience is actually a "hologram" or artificial reality made up of one's consciousness. There is no objective world not made up of a person behind it.

Or so I believe (to pay homage to philosophical honesty, which decries assertions regarding the nature of the external world).
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Where you and I disagree, p-g, is that the whole is a matter of consciousness. Try stopping a tsunami with your thoughts. Or for that matter prevent " man's inhumanity to man" by thinking.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Where you and I disagree, p-g, is that the whole is a matter of consciousness. Try stopping a tsunami with your thoughts. Or for that matter prevent " man's inhumanity to man" by thinking.


Everything may consist, in my view, of first-person subjective experience, but one does not have telekinetic control over the "made up of the substance of you" reality. A tsunami, though made up of your first-person subjective experience is still unstoppable as your consciousness or subjective experience assumes the form of an unstoppable force of water washing toward your first-person subject of experience. The tsunami disappears, as it was only made up of you anyway, when you become unconscious or die due to the way this particular "matrix" affected and altered the subject of the artificial reality (you) generating the "virtual tsunami" .

The artificial or virtual reality composed and constructed of your first-person experience is not under your control, but the control of something or Someone (Someones?) outside the artificial reality.

Ergo, consciousness being an artificial reality does not imply or entail the subject having control over the reality. The truth of my belief is indicated by the existence of death and sleep (if these exist). Something (your experience) winks out or disappears that once was there, as opposed to a mind-independent reality that cannot die or fall asleep and is not a creation of the brain. I do not believe a mind-independent reality exists or that brains create consciousness, but they are excellent analogies demonstrating that consciousness is an artificial reality including tsunami's made up of one's consciousness, regardless of whether or not a mind-independent doppelganger of the tsunami not coming from or created by one's brain exists when your consciousness no longer creates the "virtual" tsunami.

But whatever floats our boats.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Too abstract for my taste. Give me a naturalistic, realistic response. Mind is a brain product. Thought is the interactivity of a few billion neurons.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 am

Too abstract for my taste. Give me a naturalistic, realistic response


As in, first-person subjective experience is the only form in which existence manifests or appears?

Mind is a brain product.


Mind is a brain product of brains not made out of mind or first-person subjective experience?

Thought is the interactivity of a few billion neurons.


Thought is the same thing as neurons (star-shaped, electrified pieces of meat)? Thought is the same thing as electrons playing "Musical Chairs" between star-shaped pieces of meat that at the same time is an ephemeral first-person subjective experience of, say, a view of mountains on a hiking retreat?

Thought is the interactivity of billions of neurons not made out of first-person subjective experience?
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby surreptitious75 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 am

phenomenal graffiti wrote:
I do not believe a mind independent reality exists or that brains create consciousness but they are excellent analogies demonstrating that consciousness is an artificial reality including tsunamis made up of ones consciousness regardless of whether or not a mind independent doppelganger of the tsunami not coming from or created by ones brain exists when your consciousness no longer creates the virtual tsunami

You cannot be absolutely certain that consciousness is an artificial reality which is why you can only believe it to be so and nothing else
Logically the possibility must exist that that belief - like any belief - could be false and so alternatives should also be considered as well
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Don't get the horse before the cart. The hardware of brain neuronal activity operates prior to first person subjective experiences. It lends to the software mind
mythologies based on the experience of its activity. In other words mental stuff is mythologized physical, first-hand experiences.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby promethean75 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Mind is a brain product.


Halt. This is a post-cartesian logocentric reductionalistic emergent materialism operating with the same linguistic confusions the platonists are guilty of.

Mind is not a product or entity or function. These are mereological fallacies. Mind is a description of behavior, nothing more.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Greatest I Am

Nice apology that shows that your assumption made an ass of you and you are doubling down on it.

What apology? Show me where I apologized.

Your post has way too much foolishness for me to deal with all of it so I will cherry pick.


Define what to you is foolishness because I see some of your own.

Aside from that, that is your perception. I can certainly understand your need to cherry pick. I suppose, like many, you also do that when you scan the bible (that is, if you do that) looking for what suits you on that particular day. Many people do that.


Tell us, when you see Christians, let's say Catholics, all putting their cash in a collection basket while knowing that some of it will go to pedophile victims and air fare to move those pedophiles to new hunting grounds, how do you pick out the good Christians?


I have not been to church for the longest time except for a funeral. You and I have something in common. We both hate pedophiles and want them put away.

I think that, for some reason, if you were to go to a church and saw the collection, this would probably come to your mind. I do not think that the majority of people would be thinking in those terms though. They would be supporting their church. It might be say for its physical upkeep and other sundry things.
But I can agree with you that it might be a good idea if more of them had that kind of awareness.


When some prick of a preacher is sermonizing about how women and gays are inferior with his homophobic and misogynous sermon, how do you pick out the good ones who disagree?

I have never heard a homily like this spoken. I did call a priest out once for saying that women who have abortions are all going to hell and I reported it. This was an exceptionally intelligent human being who taught at a university though he was an idiot. Our beliefs can do that to us. I have seen the faces of a number of women who just had abortions and they did the deed with many tears.


"We agree on the above but I was speaking of your judgment of all of the Christians, et cetera who do no harm and try to live a good life."

Supporting a homophobic and misogynous church is doing harm to those the church targets and if they are good people, as you say, they will leave that vile church.


As I said, I have never heard that but you can point me to where you have. If I had ever heard that, you can be sure that I would have made a big stink about it and I am sure many other members of that church would too.
I suppose that somewhere some antiquated priest/minister/church may be like that. That is a church, the doors of which, I would like to chain up.

"though Christ was the Son of God, he was equal in all ways. He took it upon himself to become human."

Supernaturally based idiocy that Constantine forced down Christianity's throat. Read your history.


...and you need to read my words. I told you that I do not believe this stuff anymore. Much of it is superstition and christian myth. I was explaining christian belief.

"What about the victims?"

Glad you asked. The victim has the right to forgive while god does not.


No one actually HAS to forgive. It is up to him or her. This is all christian belief. Sometimes it is conducive and healthy emotionally and spiritually for a person to forgive but only if he/she is honest about it and knows that the other party is sorry/remorseful. They can still forgive if the person is NOT sorry but it would be a good idea to cut him loose.

Perhaps the church taught forgiveness as a way for the people to also realize that God is capable of forgiveness. I wonder what kind of a world we would have if no one ever forgave anyone else. I wonder how long the human species would last.


Now compare that wisdom to what that prick Yahweh did.
Instead of punishing the guilty, he punished his innocent child.


Prick? lol You have a way of making God so real.
That is your perception. Let us say that you were to take this as a fairy tale, could you not come to try to understand what the Story is trying to convey, to dig a little deeper for its real meaning? You are incapable of seeing Christ as being equal with the father and coming to his own decision about this in this scenario.

Actually you do not really need to but if you are going to put your own spin on it, make it a more fair and balanced one.


"That is supposed to show God as a loving, forgiving Father to His people."

All belied by his killing instead of curing all over the bible. You are rather selective in your reading habits.


I do not ready the bible anymore. You keep thinking in human terms. I myself also could not think of giving up my children for the sake of the world.

I wrote this for Christian. If you happen to be one take it as is. If you are not, stop supporting immoral people.


Unfortunately, there was a time when many in the church, the hierarchy, did just that basically I think to preserve the church but also to protect their own which was absolutely immoral and vile. They did not see or even consider the victim and who would have even believed that such a thing could go on. Many people basically worshipped their priests, just second to their God. They were taught to do that by family and Church.

So you are speaking here of the christians who you believe support the pedophiles, et cetera, because they are still a part of the Church.
Are they supporting the pedophiles or are they simply supporting their Church, physical or otherwise, because of a sense of belonging to it and of needing it and their God. Those two thoughts can be mutually exclusive you know.

You have swallowed a lie and don’t care how evil you make Jesus to keep your feel good get out of hell free card.


I do not believe in hell. That is a place to keep people "in tow". I do not believe in heaven.
I also cannot live Pascal's Wager. I am an agnostic. and what I cannot prove I will not believe.

I thought it was Jesus father who was evil and vile according to you ~~ not Jesus.

It is a lie, first and foremost because, like it or not, having another innocent person suffer or die for the wrongs you have done, --- so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral. To abdicate your personal responsibility for your actions or use a scapegoat is immoral.


I can agree with this. On the other hand...

The church does not say that believers can abdicate their responsibility for wrongdoing and still go to heaven. You have it wrong there. That is being presumptuous and that is exactly what that sin is called...the sin of Presumption.
The Church says that a person has to be sorry and remorseful for the wrongdoing and to seek forgiveness and to vow not to commit the sin[s] again. No one gets to go to heaven just because they want to. God's love/mercy/forgiveness does not extend to those who do not want to reform and who continually break His laws. That is the church teaching.

I do not know where you get your information but you yourself do seem to do a lot of cherry picking. You need to take some time to doubt some of the things you believe about the church''s teachings. You are always throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Of course, having said all of that, and considering everything which has become known, it would appear to be more than a bit ludicrous to me to say what the church's teachings are. But that does not mean that everyone in the Church is immoral or vile. There are still a great many really good priests, et cetera, who do try to and do follow the teachings.

It may seem to be one big mess and I would say that it is by far a great thing that this mess has been revealed but one does not get rid of the messy waters by throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You yourself seem to be throwing a great deal of mud at this baby.


You also have to ignore what Jesus, as a Jewish Rabbi, would have taught his people.


And what is that?

There is no way that you would teach your children to use a scapegoat to escape their just punishments and here you are doing just that.


No, I would not. But more to the point, I would give my life for my children with every fiber of my being in order to save them and if by chance I also did survive, there is no way in which I could ever see myself as being a scapegoat for having done that.

Jesus is just a smidge less immoral than his demiurge genocidal father, and here you are trying to put him as low in moral fibre as Yahweh. Satan applauds you though as you are doing her work.


Well, if I actually believed in the devil and demons, I might just question which one of us is actually doing that work.
Having a belief in them is just one more way in which to give up responsibility for the things which we do and the consequences which they create. The devil made me do it.

Regardé
arc


"Are they supporting the pedophiles or are they simply supporting their Church, physical or otherwise, because of a sense of belonging to it and of needing it and their God."

They are putting their personal needs and wants ahead of their moral sense and that is the way Republicans voted Trump into office. While holding their noses.

As to Christians abdicating their responsibility fort their sins, they have to or deny that Jesus is their savior.

You seem to think that Christians think they can be saved without their savior.

You might want to think again.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Too much anthropomorphism around here. Although it is human to have to name something in order to feel that it is known, Jesus is a force called Love, not a person to be accused of doing human things. God's plan as evidenced in Nature is creative evolution of organisms. In this sense God is an active force, not a personality; and, science and religion are not compelled to balk over such spurious terms as supernatural. God is the glue that binds organic and inorganic cycles and ecosystems together. This is the way of the natural world. Our morality belongs to the active recognition that we are an integral part of the systems by which Nature thrives. Atheists and agnostics are still compelled to recognize they are part of the larger whole of nature and are obligated to seeing that the future is physically viable, not a waste land killed by ravages of ego.


So are the less astute religionists.

They are the majority, who are presently screwing up our world.

Those religionist fools expect god to save us from them.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:Well if God is human then he cannot be omnipotent or omniscient or omnibenevolent or indeed any other omni
And so were this true there would be no reason to worship him and all those that are doing so would have to realise this - not that they would stop
The only thing one can be absolutely certain about him is that he represents the highest ideal of human imagination but beyond that nothing at all


No argument against this.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:48 am

To surreptitious75:

phenomenal graffiti wrote:

I do not believe a mind independent reality exists or that brains create consciousness but they are excellent analogies demonstrating that consciousness is an artificial reality including tsunamis made up of ones consciousness regardless of whether or not a mind independent doppelganger of the tsunami not coming from or created by ones brain exists when your consciousness no longer creates the virtual tsunami


You cannot be absolutely certain that consciousness is an artificial reality which is why you can only believe it to be so and nothing else.

Logically the possibility must exist that that belief - like any belief - could be false and so alternatives should also be considered as well


To (conceptually) prove that consciousness is an artificial "SIMS" reality, let's ignore my metaphysical beliefs for a moment.

Simply observe the common, everyday, and famous belief that:

1. The brain creates consciousness

2. Consciousness does not nor cannot exist unless there are brains that create consciousness

3. Consciousness does not exist until a brain forms and neurons making up the cerebral cortex of the brain begin to fire.

4. Consciousness ceases to exist when neurons making up the cerebral cortex no longer sufficiently fire to give rise to consciousness.

The brain is a fleshy organ trapped within a skull. Consciousness, that is for example the sight of one's room when one wakes in the morning, with the sun streaming through one's windows, certainly seems to be something residing outside one's body and skull, as one has visual experience of the periphery of one's body and the morning view itself seems to be something that surrounds, rather than is within, one's body.

The beautiful morning view also cannot be mistaken for the brain, which is a baseball-glove shaped lump of glistening flesh hidden within the skull.

Yet, it is amazingly believed that the morning wakeful vista comes from the baseball-glove shaped lump of meat in one's skull. The star-shaped pieces of flesh somehow have access to something other than just themselves, and piece together this emergent 'extra' (magically popping into existence from a former non-existence or there is a magical transformation of something that is not first-person subjective experience into first-person subjective experience), something that does not in the least visibly and tactilely resemble neurons, and somehow this visual experience that does not in the least resemble a brain or neurons or the innards of neurons sort of....ejects from within neurons to intangibly phase like the MCU's Vision through the bony wall of the skull and skin over the forehead to, er, hang like a hologram before the eyes.



Anyway, if the "hologram" of the morning view winks out completely replaced by nothing should one die while sitting in bed admiring the morning view, then the morning view is not the external world, but a "hologram" or artificial reality created by star-shaped pieces of flesh collectively forming a baseball-glove shaped lump of flesh trapped within a skull.

The same is true of the morning view if brains are like the Swamp Thing's organs, that were discovered to have absolutely no function and were just sort of "there" to give the illusion that they perform something. The brain may be a "false machine" that is believed to create consciousness but does not, and something or Someone made up of first-person experience in the external world is the one truly responsible for forming my subjective experience and my subjective experience of a morning view.

You are right about (external world and some sensory) beliefs being falsifiable. But if our consciousness is not an artificial reality that winks out when the brain stops operating, what is it?
Last edited by phenomenal_graffiti on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 am

To Ierrellus:

Don't get the horse before the cart. The hardware of brain neuronal activity operates prior to first person subjective experiences. It lends to the software mind
mythologies based on the experience of its activity. In other words mental stuff is mythologized physical, first-hand experiences.


The 'hardware of brain neuronal activity' you refer to is the mind-independent version, which may not exist. Brains observed in neuroscientific, medical, and criminal context are made up of first-person subjective experience. Everything we see, observe, have evidence of is the ephemeral "movie"...

Image

....that appears on the projector screen from the stream of light emanating from the "movie projector":

Image

The "movie projector" may be anything in the external world, even an external world Person. The "movie projector", however, is commonly believed to be mind-independent brains.

While mind-independent brains are believed to be the "movie projector" giving rise to the "movie" of our everyday experience barring unconsciousness or death, given that we have never encountered or experienced anything except first-person subjective experience and mind-independence is famously and generally believed to be something that is not first-person subjective experience, invoking mind-independence and mind-independent brains and asserting their "irrefutable, unquestionable" existence is the same thing as a religionist asserting the existence of God.

And...if 'physical'='mind-independent', there can be no such thing as 'physical first-hand experiences' as anything that is 'physical' is not and is not made up of subjective experience; the 'physical' is something other than subjective experience.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 am

phenomenal graffiti wrote:
Simply observe the common everyday and famous belief that :

The brain creates consciousness

Consciousness does not nor cannot exist unless there are brains that create consciousness

Consciousness does not exist until a brain forms and neurons making up the cerebral cortex of the brain begin to fire

Consciousness ceases to exist when neurons making up the cerebral cortex no longer sufficiently fire to give rise to consciousness

Brain death results in the cessation of consciousness because a dead person can no longer experience sensory perception
Whether consciousness can carry on existing outside of the brain is another matter although there is no evidence for this

The only thing that will survive death are the sub atomic particles that the brain is composed from - protons / neutrons / electrons
These particles have lifespans greater than any individual thing in known existence [ except for photons ] but they are not conscious

It all depends of course on how one defines consciousness but at the moment there is no evidence that it resides outside of biological minds
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am

Brain death results in the cessation of consciousness because a dead person can no longer experience sensory perception
Whether consciousness can carry on existing outside of the brain is another matter although there is no evidence for this


We have no evidence for the existence of another person's consciousness, so consciousness outside the brain would be entirely invisible and intangible, as it is subjective experience that is not your subjective experience. In order for a non-brain generated consciousness to indicate to you it exists, it would have to have power to speak to you in a language made up of your first-person subjective experience. Where it could come up with your subjective experience is anyone's guess.

The only thing that will survive death are the sub atomic particles that the brain is composed from - protons / neutrons / electrons
These particles have lifespans greater than any individual thing in known existence [ except for photons ] but they are not conscious


Thing is, we don't know that mind-independent brains, protons, neutrons, and electrons even exist. The only evidence we have of existence itself, the only thing for which there is evidence of existence, is first-person subjective experience.

It all depends of course on how one defines consciousness but at the moment there is no evidence that it resides outside of biological minds


Consciousness (as I define it)=first-person subjective experience in the seven forms of sensory, cognitive, and emotional experience. And as before, you can only perceive and experience a SIMS world made up only of your subjective experience, so the subjective experience of anyone other than yourself will not be seen or experienced (evidence), even if it existed independently of the brain.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:55 pm

There might no evidence for the existence of consciousness in anyone other than oneself but one knows that other human beings
also possess a brain and that that brain could therefore be responsible for generating consciousness in them like mine does in me

It would be way more likely that the particular organ of one species would be performing the same function for every member of that species
This is a logical assumption rather than hard evidence and even though they are separate from each other they are not mutually incompatible

I regard other minds as real as my own simply because it is the most rational explanation available and there is no reason I see for it to be false
Solipsism and idealism are far less rational and by logical inference are therefore not true although this cannot be proven in any absolute sense
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 pm

There might no evidence for the existence of consciousness in anyone other than oneself but one knows that other human beings
also possess a brain and that that brain could therefore be responsible for generating consciousness in them like mine does in me


Never denying the consciousness of other people as I am not solipsist, but the brain may be a reductio ad absurdum when you apply logic into how that which is not subjective experience could possibly come up with subjective experience, particularly when you logically think about how star-shaped pieces of flesh could contain or piece together a view of the city of Paris, France, and where the view of Paris, France was in one's neurons prior to the piecing together and the airbag deploying of the view from the skull.

It would be way more likely that the particular organ of one species would be performing the same function for every member of that species
This is a logical assumption rather than hard evidence and even though they are separate from each other they are not mutually incompatible


This means absolutely nothing. It's just the way your SIMS reality expresses the repetitive intelligence of a lawful artificial reality made up of subjective experience.

I regard other minds as real as my own simply because it is the most rational explanation available and there is no reason I see for it to be false
Solipsism and idealism are far less rational and by logical inference are therefore not true although this cannot be proven in any absolute sense


When speaking of things that may or may not exist on a global metaphysical level or in the external world, one does not simply proclaim a view as positively not true (for, how could you know?). Logical inference when correctly and honestly applied observes that the only thing that exists is first-person subjective experience (the world one perceives and the things within it, even billions of trans-historical mammalian brains, is made up only of one's first-person subjective experience), finds that mind-independence and the emergence or formation of mind from not-mind is far less rational than solipsism and idealism, which are simpler and more probable.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:12 pm

phenomenal graffiti wrote:
Logical inference when correctly and honestly applied observes that the only thing that exists is first person subjective experience ( the world one perceives and
the things within it even billions of trans historical mammalian brains is made up only of ones first person subjective experience ) finds that mind independence and
the emergence or formation of mind from not mind is far less rational than solipsism and idealism which are simpler and more probable

My own mind does not have the cognitive capability to create a mind dependent reality as complex as the one that I experience
And so the only other possibility is that the reality I experience must be mind independent - logically it cannot be anything else

The transition from non mind to mind is same as the one from physics to chemistry to biology - there is no mystery to this at all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby phenomenal_graffiti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 pm

My own mind does not have the cognitive capability to create a mind dependent reality as complex as the one that I experience
And so the only other possibility is that the reality I experience must be mind independent - logically it cannot be anything else



By 'mind-independence' I mean: 'not composed of first-person subjective experience; something other than or that is not first-person subjective experience. I do not mean 'mind' as in 'a person's mind and the capabilities of a person's mind'.

The reality that we experience is complex, but it is nevertheless made up of only the material substance of first-person subjective experience. This is evident(?) in the existence of unconsciousness or death. That world that is perceived just...winks out...when one falls alseep.

So yeah, when talking about 'mind-independence' in the sense of 'my mind' or 'your mind' independence, then there is certainly something else outside that is behind the "matrix" that is your consciousness or mine.

The transition from non mind to mind is same as the one from physics to chemistry to biology - there is no mystery to this at all


Physics, chemistry, and biology are all made up of one substance: first-person subjective experience. There is no evidence they are made up of something that is not first-person subjective experience.
J.Brewer
Image
The Truman Show, 1998 Paramount Pictures

Q: What lies beyond the "Matrix" that is consciousness?
A: The conscious and unconscious mind of God.


email me at: phenomenal_graffiti@yahoo.com
User avatar
phenomenal_graffiti
Thinker
 
Posts: 836
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

promethean75 wrote:
Mind is a brain product.


Halt. This is a post-cartesian logocentric reductionalistic emergent materialism operating with the same linguistic confusions the platonists are guilty of.

Mind is not a product or entity or function. These are mereological fallacies. Mind is a description of behavior, nothing more.

The real fallacy is resurrection of Gilbert Ryle's "ghost in the machine" (The Concept of Mind 1949) in the 21st century. Neuroscience continually defies Cartesian dualism. If mind were not an electrochemical process, modern psychiatric medicines would be an enormous hoax. See Changeaux and Ricouer's "What Makes Us Think".
Last edited by Ierrellus on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Is God’s plan on track? Were we created to be sinners?

Postby promethean75 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm

i'll see your changeaux and ricouer and raise you a peter hacker...

promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exuberant Teleportation, Google [Bot]