What do You think God is?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: What do You think God is?

Postby Prismatic567 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:51 am

How the "idea" [not a concept] of God emerged onto human consciousness is due to an inevitable unavoidable existential crisis of inevitable mortality so terribly painful [subliminally] and cannot be resolved by a human at all.

Thus it is very natural, the mind conjured up an idea of an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and omni-whatever, a Being [God] than which no greater can be idealized to resolve the inevitable unavoidable existential crisis.

Beliefs in something as real [even in fact false] do work [note placebos] and the belief in an illusory idea of God does work to resolve the unavoidable existential crisis inherently within ALL humans.

Because, the above belief of a God [even in fact false] works to relieve the terrible existential crisis, pains and Angst, theists will cling to it like there is no tomorrow, as to give it up would bring back terrible sufferings and Angst. This is why so many theists [this is glaringly evident] will not hesitate to kill whoever threatened their belief in a God.

Thus whenever the question of God is raised, one has to take note of the reality of psychology within the minds of theists as explained above.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby bahman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
bahman wrote:A mind like us but supreme in knowledge and power.

Can you please describe God's mind which is like ours.

The reality to me is very simple: We are interacting minds through the material/mere illusion. Mind to me is the essence of any being with the abilities to experience, decide and cause. The difference between minds is only knowledge they have.
The sincerity in mind is the door to divine knowledge.
bahman

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:16 pm

bahman wrote:
bahman wrote:A mind like us but supreme in knowledge and power.

Can you please describe God's mind which is like ours.

The reality to me is very simple: We are interacting minds through the material/mere illusion. Mind to me is the essence of any being with the abilities to experience, decide and cause. The difference between minds is only knowledge they have.

I wish that the reality was as simple to me. Can we even speak in terms such as "mind" when speaking of God?
You and I are interacting minds at this moment but when it comes to the mind of God - are we really connected to Mind?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 am

God is Big Brother.

In premodernity, Big Brother was just a myth, used to scare people into submission, but increasingly it's becoming a postmodern reality.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 pm

God is active in the DNA construction of life forms. This we experience as our own DNA constructs organ and organism, mind and body. God's creativity evolved. Mind is awareness of one's existence,the highest yet possible DNA extension.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby bahman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:59 am

bahman wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:Can you please describe God's mind which is like ours.

The reality to me is very simple: We are interacting minds through the material/mere illusion. Mind to me is the essence of any being with the abilities to experience, decide and cause. The difference between minds is the only knowledge they have.

I wish that the reality was as simple to me. Can we even speak in terms such as "mind" when speaking of God?

The reality is simple and yes god is similar to us, a mind. God simply experiences and causes things as we do.

Arcturus Descending wrote:You and I are interacting minds at this moment but when it comes to the mind of God - are we really connected to Mind?

Yes, we are connected to Mind. Knowing this is, however, a matter of experience.
The sincerity in mind is the door to divine knowledge.
bahman

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality