Name Change Request

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: Name Change Request

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:50 pm

phyllo wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:
phyllo wrote:Changing the name doesn't change the content.

"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose,
By any other name would smell as sweet."

I don't think that that is necessarily true. One might be surprised - or not, how much a name change can influence or affect a person's behavior or psyche.
Names have meaning, words have meaning.

BUT if you called THAT rose over there a CUCUMBER I wonder how it would affect one's sense of smell, one's perspective? :-k
You guys have become so obsessed with perspective that you can't see anything besides the superficial.

So are you calling me a perspectivist? I really wouldn't mind that at all, being that the more vantage points we can view things from, the more light can be shed on an object.

I've never been accused of being superficial before. :oops:

ANYWAY, I don't intuit how what I said above, not the immediate above, makes me obsessed with perspective. or makes me not see anything besides the superficial. i'm the one who dives beneath the surface of the iceberg. Have you ever seen what's there?

I don't normally go in for generalizing though i realize there is a purpose in it.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Everything's perspectivism.

For example, a man builds a bunch of sticks, glues them together, puts a motor on it and wings, and we say "that's a plane", and it's "cool"! Its our our new idol, we worship it, we worship the system.

If you think a theory is cool, that's your perspective. Making theories seem profound is kind of an art, helps if you add sciency music.

Its all meaning making, even finding out the explanation of consciousness. The only thing that matters is MIJOT. Finding out consciousness will help us I think.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Carleas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Carleas wrote:Change made, welcome to the board!

Carleas, is there a cost to you to change a name?

It costs me or another mod about a minute.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Harbal » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Can I change my name to the same one I've already got, as a symbolic gesture, or would that be stretching the rules too far?
Harbal
Thinker

Postby Carleas » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:10 am

After long consideration, unfortunately I have to refuse your request, Harbal. While I appreciate where you're coming from and what you're trying to accomplish, I've concluded that you can't do anything as a symbolic gesture that you can't do -- if it's not possible to do something at all, it's not possible to do that thing as a symbolic gesture. And since changing your name and leaving it the same are mutually incompatible, you can't change your name to the same one you've already got, and so you can't do so as a symbolic gesture either.

I hope you understand.

An alternative justification for refusing your rquest: "the same one I've already got" is 29 characters, and the max is 24. :-"
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Harbal » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:01 am

Carleas wrote:I've concluded that you can't do anything as a symbolic gesture that you can't do -- if it's not possible to do something at all, it's not possible to do that thing as a symbolic gesture. And since changing your name and leaving it the same are mutually incompatible, you can't change your name to the same one you've already got, and so you can't do so as a symbolic gesture either.
This is a philosophy forum, for God's sake, I can't believe there's nobody here who can think their way around this problem. If I can't change my name to the one I've already got then how am I supposed to send out the message that I'm still the same as I was before? The only thing I can think of is to replace my avatar with an identical copy and hope that people assume my name has been similarly replaced. To be honest, I'm rather disappointed.
Harbal
Thinker

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:49 am

Maia wrote:I wish you lot wouldn't keep doing this. Remember I can't see your faces. It's confusing being confronted by a load of different names for the same people all the time.

Names tend to stay the same. It's the avatars that change. Someone is currently using Hitler, whilst another is using Charlie Brown.
For the sighted the game is trying to remember the names when the face keeps changing.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby The Golden Turd » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:40 pm

I'm using my phone, so I can't see the avatars, who is Hitler?
Support "The Angels of East Africa" on smile.Amazon.com it is free to do, they donate 0.05% of your purchase cost to them, or give donations directly via:

http://www.machinegunpreacher.org

Recently hidden post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192227&p=2649513#p2649513
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Carleas wrote:
Carleas wrote:Change made, welcome to the board!

Carleas, is there a cost to you to change a name?

It costs me or another mod about a minute.

Ah Carleas, you may someday be asked to join the "diplomatic" corp. :evilfun:

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Maia wrote:I wish you lot wouldn't keep doing this. Remember I can't see your faces. It's confusing being confronted by a load of different names for the same people all the time.

Names tend to stay the same. It's the avatars that change. Someone is currently using Hitler, whilst another is using Charlie Brown.
For the sighted the game is trying to remember the names when the face keeps changing.

It isn't about Charlie Brown per se but about the relationship between all four. Christmas is over and it's time for me to find another avatar but I so hate parting with that little tree. There is just "something" about it.
Last edited by Arcturus Descending on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby phyllo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Harbal wrote:
Carleas wrote:I've concluded that you can't do anything as a symbolic gesture that you can't do -- if it's not possible to do something at all, it's not possible to do that thing as a symbolic gesture. And since changing your name and leaving it the same are mutually incompatible, you can't change your name to the same one you've already got, and so you can't do so as a symbolic gesture either.
This is a philosophy forum, for God's sake, I can't believe there's nobody here who can think their way around this problem. If I can't change my name to the one I've already got then how am I supposed to send out the message that I'm still the same as I was before? The only thing I can think of is to replace my avatar with an identical copy and hope that people assume my name has been similarly replaced. To be honest, I'm rather disappointed.

harbal
H a r b a l
HARBAL
Harbal_
[email protected]@l
HarbaL

:-"
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Wont do what he wants, its symbolic of a slight alteration to his personality.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Harbal » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Wont do what he wants, its symbolic of a slight alteration to his personality.

I knew you'd get it.
By the way, I just wanted you to know that I hold no resentment towards you regarding the fact that they changed the rules for you but not for me.
Harbal
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Harbal wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Wont do what he wants, its symbolic of a slight alteration to his personality.

I knew you'd get it.
By the way, I just wanted you to know that I hold no resentment towards you regarding the fact that they changed the rules for you but not for me.

Judging by the look in your avatar, you might want to change your name to "herbal" if you understanding my meaning. :wink:

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:11 am

Lev Muishkin wrote:

If they have the same name, why is this difficult?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:15 am

Harbal wrote:

I knew you'd get it.

Thanks, that is a relief and I can sleep easy now.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:38 am

Turd Ferguson wrote:I'm using my phone, so I can't see the avatars, who is Hitler?

Click the menu tab in your browser and select, "show desktop site" or whatever. Mobile sites suck man. Wait...you probably have an iphone. They probably wont do that.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby James S Saint » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Maia wrote:If they have the same name, why is this difficult?

Some people are very distracted by images and instinctively prefer image identification and memory over reading.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Aussenseite » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:13 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Maia wrote:If they have the same name, why is this difficult?

Some people are very distracted by images and instinctively prefer image identification and memory over reading.

Some years ago, on a forum far far away... I used to change my avatar to see if it would effect the way people, even the same people, responded to me. The results were very interesting to say the least. Most of the responses changed not because of my username, but because of the picture I chose to display. Some posters who had be previously nice, reasonable people turned hostile and vice versa. They weren't drastic changes either, just small changes.

Humans are interesting. It's funny what changes when only one of five senses changes value and the others stay the same. Totally different experience. Always serves as a reminder to me how little we actually know about the mind and humanity. It's why we always have to always be aware and conscious in every moment.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
Aussenseite

Previous

Return to Meta