If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Share and discuss.

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby promethean75 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:57 pm

bahman wrote:I am waiting for music from you and others.

excellent. i've been at a primus reunion lately so i'll talk about the mastermind behind that band; les claypool. you will find absolutely nothing even remotely similar to the sound of primus from the decade of the 90s and beyond. you couldn't call the sound explicitly 'grunge' or 'metal' or 'rock' or even 'pop', and you'll find none of the standard formulas for commercial song writing present anywhere in the music. these guys were a power trio (like rush) of very talented musicians with very unique style. the music is heavily bass driven... the bass guitar being the lead instrument... which was almost unheard of in bands from the 90s which were primarily guitar bands. claypool - vocalist, bassist and band leader - drives the bass like it's a fucking bulldozer, and his drummer 'herb' was probably the best drummer to come out of the 90s. the music is elementally strange and aggressive, but with comedic properties that sets the band aside from the typical stereotypes other bands fall under. remember, the 90s was the decade when the glamour rock of the 80s was changing into something more masculine (make-up and big hair was out), but the bands still retained that over exaggerated, histrionic image of trying to be 'cool' with all the posing and microphone love-making that went on in the videos and on stage. with primus (and any of the other claypool projects) you see none of this. in fact, you'd find something diametrically opposed to this; claypool dressed in overalls, stomping around the stage in work boots, popping his bass and singing in some strange cartoonish redneck voice. there's really nothing like it anywhere... and this is what i have an eye and ear for; the truly unique, the truly exceptional, the truly original. stone temple pilots, alice in chains, nirvana, pearl jam, sound garden, et al., are great... but they are not on the same plane as primus. i'll give you a tour in the next several days... but you have to promise to listen, man. it's an acquired taste... something that requires a certain kind of personality (which you might have), and that's what we're going to find out. okay, so here's one from 'sausage', which was a side project by claypool. similar sound as primus, but slightly nuanced due to a different drummer and guitarist....

Last edited by promethean75 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:17 pm

wikipedia wrote:Regarding the band's genre, Claypool has stated "We've been lumped in with the funk metal thing just about everywhere. I guess people just have to categorise you". MTV suggests that Primus is "a post-punk Rush spiked with the sensibility and humor of Frank Zappa". Les Claypool himself once described their music as "psychedelic polka." Spin have labelled Primus as "pranksters" and an "unlikely gold-selling white trash purveyor of hard-ass pinballing funk metal".

lol, great description. here's one from 'frizzle fry", the album prior to 'sailing the seas of cheese'. ever hear chords strummed like that on a bass? and that break at 3:50 is tight as fuck, man.

'lingering taste of toothpaste made the milk go down a but funny, but ya know....'
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:48 pm

The sincerity in mind is the door to divine knowledge.
bahman

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 pm

promethean75 wrote:

excellent. i've been at a primus reunion lately so i'll talk about the mastermind behind that band; les claypool. you will find absolutely nothing even remotely similar to the sound of primus from the decade of the 90s and beyond. you couldn't call the sound explicitly 'grunge' or 'metal' or 'rock' or even 'pop', and you'll find none of the standard formulas for commercial song writing present anywhere in the music. these guys were a power trio (like rush) of very talented musicians with very unique style. the music is heavily bass driven... the bass guitar being the lead instrument... which was almost unheard of in bands from the 90s which were primarily guitar bands. claypool - vocalist, bassist and band leader - drives the bass like it's a fucking bulldozer, and his drummer 'herb' was probably the best drummer to come out of the 90s. the music is elementally strange and aggressive, but with comedic properties that sets the band aside from the typical stereotypes other bands fall under. remember, the 90s was the decade when the glamour rock of the 80s was changing into something more masculine (make-up and big hair was out), but the bands still retained that over exaggerated, histrionic image of trying to be 'cool' with all the posing and microphone love-making that went on in the videos and on stage. with primus (and any of the other claypool projects) you see none of this. in fact, you'd find something diametrically opposed to this; claypool dressed in overalls, stomping around the stage in work boots, popping his bass and singing in some strange cartoonish redneck voice. there's really nothing like it anywhere... and this is what i have an eye and ear for; the truly unique, the truly exceptional, the truly original. stone temple pilots, alice in chains, nirvana, pearl jam, sound garden, et al., are great... but they are not on the same plane as primus. i'll give you a tour in the next several days... but you have to promise to listen, man. it's an acquired taste... something that requires a certain kind of personality (which you might have), and that's what we're going to find out. okay, so here's one from 'sausage', which was a side project by claypool. similar sound as primus, but slightly nuanced due to a different drummer and guitarist....

I like this.
bahman

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm

bahman

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 pm

promethean75 wrote:c'mon, bahman... listening to that tired old shit is gonna make you die young. you gotta kill your ugly radio and get out of that mainstream nonsense, dude. what i'm asking you to do is not impossible, but it is a big step, and i understand that. you will find yourself in the midst of strange and fearful new sounds... macabre and unfamiliar... but you have to have courage, bahman... you have to trust me and be brave enough...

Nice.
bahman

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:41 pm

promethean75 wrote:

I appreciate your music more, more I listen to it. Thanks for sharing. It is sad that it has such a low hits.
bahman

Postby bahman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 am

bahman

Postby bahman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:53 pm

bahman

Postby Meno_ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:41 am

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby bahman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:17 pm

bahman

Postby bahman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:50 pm

bahman

Postby promethean75 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:21 pm

nice. you're in, bahman. there are a few essentials you'll need to hear before you complete your initiation. here are two of them. btw, they do an outstanding cover of pink floyd's 'have a cigar' on that same album you just linked to, if you haven't already listened to it.

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 pm

this one is absolutely brilliant, bahman. a warning though; once you enter into the mind of les claypool, you'll never be the same. it's music from some parallel universe that shouldn't be here on our earth.

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:45 am

Sam Fender (born 25 April 1996) is an English singer-songwriter who was named one of the BBC's Sound of 2018 alongside other emerging artists including Sigrid, Lewis Capaldi, and Khalid. His single "Play God" was featured in the FIFA 19 video game. He won the Brit Awards Critics’ Choice for 2019

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby bahman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:09 pm

promethean75 wrote:this one is absolutely brilliant, bahman. a warning though; once you enter into the mind of les claypool, you'll never be the same. it's music from some parallel universe that shouldn't be here on our earth.

Nice. I love this.
bahman

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:20 pm

c'mon, bahman. we're going to...

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Artimas » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 am

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby Artimas » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:25 am

If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

Image Image
Artimas

Postby MagsJ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Artimas wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrOzYtnLMA

Ooh.. didn't know Black Sabbath did chill-out tunes. :romance-hearteyes:

My kinda vibe :romance-inlove:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Artimas » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Artimas wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvrOzYtnLMA

Ooh.. didn't know Black Sabbath did chill-out tunes. :romance-hearteyes:

My kinda vibe :romance-inlove:

Yeah me too, classic rock is one of my top favorite genres.

Especially psychedelic culture and music.
I am still happy I got to see Roger waters us and them tour in my lifetime, would love to see them together again but who knows if they ever will.

Image Image
Artimas

Postby Artimas » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm

https://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

I miss when music had soul and real passion.

Image Image
Artimas

Postby Meno_ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Artimas wrote:https://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

I do too:

https://youtu.be/71Gt46aX9Z4
Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:23 pm

music is a direct conduit to the soul of a people and must be forced to voice the spirit of the age. today we have no time to be sentimentalists, gentlemen, for ours is an age of anxiety, arrogant noise and distortion, and we must embrace futurism to quicken the age and make it sick with itself. this is the only way to cure it. not to stop it, but to speed it up. today the music industry has become like one of those farm animal exhibits at the fair... the stench and cacophony is so bad you turn around and come back before you make it half way through. cRap music, country music, pop music, all of it, a silly cartoonish caricature of an uncreative age full of hubris and sick with itself. no, gentlemen. the task of the musician today is to make uncomfortable and destroy, not to write something you can listen to with the windows rolled down on a sunny saturday morning on your way to the lake. we must keep moving forward if we are going to stop this silly disaster before it becomes a serious matter and wrenches the soul permanently from the very heart of mankind.

this is what your world sounds like, today. are you proud of this? do you conveniently ignore it and retreat into your study to seal the door and listen to gladys knight where you feel safe? well you're not safe, gentlemen, and this is something you must have the courage to face:

promethean75
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment