Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Jakob wrote:Belief is a great risk, and one that an intelligent being will prefer not to take.

"Supernatural" reeks of contradiction.

Unnatural is bad enough.

The supernatural is a normally imperceptible higher plane or realm of being and its inhabitants.

The preternatural is a normally imperceptible parallel plane or realm of being and its inhabitants.

There's no internal contradiction here, the only question is, do higher or parallel worlds exist, or are they merely products of our imagination?

I tend to think there's some truth to them, but my approach to them is experimental and speculative rather than dogmatic.

The unnatural is something manmade or the product of a sentient mind.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Jakob wrote:Belief is a great risk, and one that an intelligent being will prefer not to take.

"Supernatural" reeks of contradiction.

Unnatural is bad enough.


Contradictions, lies, fraud and hypocrisy.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:.


"the one which people believe is a personal loving entity,"
[/quote]

Yes, a genocidal god that they want to get closer to.

That shows the full immorality of Christian thinking.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Gloominary » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 am

No one or institution including mainstream academia has a monopoly on reason, research and publicly reviewing each others work.
We can all publicly review each others work as individuals, or members of an (alt) discipline.
There is no absolute authority if any.
For me, individual authority comes first, followed closely by the authority of the people.
We as individuals, and a democracy decide who the experts are, if there are any, experts aren't self-appointed.
This is what I call epistemic populism, and it stands in stark contrast to academicism, rigid ideologues, scientism and religionism.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am

Greatest I am wrote:So what a doctor would do for your is no more important than the witch doctor.

And it should be added that 'witch doctor' in contrast to some Western expert, in this case a doctor, is a colonialist cliche. It started as a smug contrast between cultures, where one had the power to eradicate the other.

Greatest's main beef is with the Abrahamists. I doubt he intended to slight third world cultures however much he might judge religions and spiritual and health practices in these other cultures.

But one interesting thing for me is a certain kind of male hatred, in Western cultures, aimed at anything that seems to have to do with the supernatural, alternative health, organic food, spirituality, and alternative takes on current events. And it's here the Abrahamists and the technocrats have long been allies.

Any individual who comes at these things differently than the sanctioned by authority - AMA, Pope, mainstream media take - is evil: a quack, some who fools dying people out of money, an anti-semite, an irrational nutjob.

Of course many men are on the other side of this and many women have a lot of bile against alternatives. But I seem to encounter the rage primarily in men.

In the religious/spiritual world, if you claim to have some insight into entities and processes not yet verified by science or via a process not yet verified by science, then it must be bullshit. And the various churches tend to want you out of the business also. God is transcendent, there are no regular human bridges to anything special.

Be small, you bags of chemicals and do what you are told.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Gloominary wrote:No one or institution including mainstream academia has a monopoly on reason, research and publicly reviewing each others work.
We can all publicly review each others work as individuals, or members of an (alt) discipline.
There is no absolute authority if any.
For me, individual authority comes first, followed closely by the authority of the people.
We as individuals, and a democracy decide who the experts are, if there are any, experts aren't self-appointed.
This is what I call epistemic populism, and it stands in stark contrast to academicism, rigid ideologues, scientism and religionism.


We are too busy making our children into our image through indoctrination to teach them the type of critical thinking you want.

In fact, today, we seem to want to dumb down our population.

The dim are a lot easier to control and manipulate than the bright.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:So what a doctor would do for your is no more important than the witch doctor.

And it should be added that 'witch doctor' in contrast to some Western expert, in this case a doctor, is a colonialist cliche. It started as a smug contrast between cultures, where one had the power to eradicate the other.

Greatest's main beef is with the Abrahamists. I doubt he intended to slight third world cultures however much he might judge religions and spiritual and health practices in these other cultures.

But one interesting thing for me is a certain kind of male hatred, in Western cultures, aimed at anything that seems to have to do with the supernatural, alternative health, organic food, spirituality, and alternative takes on current events. And it's here the Abrahamists and the technocrats have long been allies.

Any individual who comes at these things differently than the sanctioned by authority - AMA, Pope, mainstream media take - is evil: a quack, some who fools dying people out of money, an anti-semite, an irrational nutjob.

Of course many men are on the other side of this and many women have a lot of bile against alternatives. But I seem to encounter the rage primarily in men.

In the religious/spiritual world, if you claim to have some insight into entities and processes not yet verified by science or via a process not yet verified by science, then it must be bullshit. And the various churches tend to want you out of the business also. God is transcendent, there are no regular human bridges to anything special.

Be small, you bags of chemicals and do what you are told.


Right over your head.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Greatest I am wrote:Right over your head.
Facile.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2413
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Greatest I am
ad: The one which people believe is a personal loving entity,"

gia: Yes, a genocidal god that they want to get closer to.
That shows the full immorality of Christian thinking.


No, not really. I do, for the most part, believe that people who actually do "see" a personal loving God want to get close to that God and wish no harm to anyone. That is not immorality.

It only becomes immorality when a particular creature, for instance, decides to bomb a city in the name of God. There is a distinction.

What I think that it is though insofar as the former is concerned is not taking the time to think things out, to think clearly and slowly, and to look at everything which surrounds them, including contradictions, in order to come up with a better judgment call.

We all do that and you yourself are not innocent of it. We are all biased in our thinking or many of us are at different times.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Greatest I am
ad: The one which people believe is a personal loving entity,"

gia: Yes, a genocidal god that they want to get closer to.
That shows the full immorality of Christian thinking.


No, not really. I do, for the most part, believe that people who actually do "see" a personal loving God want to get close to that God and wish no harm to anyone. That is not immorality.

It only becomes immorality when a particular creature, for instance, decides to bomb a city in the name of God. There is a distinction.

What I think that it is though insofar as the former is concerned is not taking the time to think things out, to think clearly and slowly, and to look at everything which surrounds them, including contradictions, in order to come up with a better judgment call.

We all do that and you yourself are not innocent of it. We are all biased in our thinking or many of us are at different times.


I agree with your last.

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 pm

GIA

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.



Who is it who proclaimed God a genocidal one?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:GIA

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.



Who is it who proclaimed God a genocidal one?


The victims and the bible.

Have you read of all the times god kills en mass?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 pm

GIA


Have you read of all the times god kills en mass?


So, what are you saying here? That you actually believe this garbage? Do you believe in a genocidal God? I sometimes get the sense that you do believe in some kind of a God. You seem to be so angry and you seem to feed that anger.

If you do not believe in God though, what do you say to people who do and who believe that their God is responsible for all of the misery in the world?

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.


I would like you to show me how this is true, how they have become immoral because of this. Give me an example. The way I look at it, immoral IS as immoral does.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:GIA


Have you read of all the times god kills en mass?


So, what are you saying here? That you actually believe this garbage? Do you believe in a genocidal God? I sometimes get the sense that you do believe in some kind of a God. You seem to be so angry and you seem to feed that anger.

If you do not believe in God though, what do you say to people who do and who believe that their God is responsible for all of the misery in the world?

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.


I would like you to show me how this is true, how they have become immoral because of this. Give me an example. The way I look at it, immoral IS as immoral does.


I am not a literalist and read the bible as myth, not history.

I am a Gnostic Christian and hold no supernatural beliefs whatsoever.

What I am angry with is a religion that is homophobic and misogynous and has somehow convinced half decent people that a genocidal god is somehow good.

If theists continue to praise a god who they see as directly creating all the evils of the world, then I would tell them that they are morally corrupted by their beliefs.

As to your last. Morals are a learned thing to a large extent. Secular law and few people will praise a genocidal entity yet Christianity does.

Where else would Christians learn such a foul way to think?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 pm

I will respond to this shortly.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:18 pm

I am not a literalist and read the bible as myth, not history.


I read the bible when I did believe in .... I hesitated here to capitalize 'G'od lol. It is confusing when you do not believe. Do you capitalize or do you not capitalize. God is sacred and real to many.
I do not read it now though I do realize that much wisdom can be found in it.
Can you tell me why you do read the bible since you do not believe at least not now.

I am a Gnostic Christian and hold no supernatural beliefs whatsoever.

I am the same way. There are times when I wonder if I have sacrificed something good but not where the weird stuff is concerned.


What I am angry with is a religion that is homophobic and misogynous and has somehow convinced half decent people that a genocidal god is somehow good.


Why waste your breathe being angry with the religion per se. Be angry with those who perpetuate the Lie. Try to teach those who automatically believe these things because they feel that the bible is "the inspired word of _od. lol
I wonder how many of these people use the bible as an excuse to maintain theseout-dated beliefs?


If theists continue to praise a god who they see as directly creating all the evils of the world, then I would tell them that they are morally corrupted by their beliefs.


I think that the problem here, GIA, is that they are not really connecting the dots and perhaps neither are you. I really do not believe that most intelligent, good, moral, ethical (did I leave anyone out) people who believe in God are actually seeing this God as deliberately creating all the evils of the world. Some of them are seeing God as "allowing" it and some have not taken it far enough to see much of anything. They just believe .

they are morally corrupted by their beliefs


I am not even sure that one can actually say this because like I said they cannot connect the dots. They do not realize that in saying one thing about God, they may be actually creating a negative aspect of God. I posted something in ILP the other and after having read it, I realized that I portrayed God as being sadistic ~~ in other words, from my point of view, on the other side of that coin, without even realizing it, thinking one thing also created another thing. I may not have expressed that too well. The saying comes to me "Forgive them for they KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO or in the case THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY THINK.

As to your last. Morals are a learned thing to a large extent. Secular law and few people will praise a genocidal entity yet Christianity does.


We praise a lot of things and people who do not deserve it. I think it all comes down to not realizing how we are thinking. They are not literally praising a genocidal God.

Where else would Christians learn such a foul way to think?
[/quote]

Possibly from not learning how to really thing not being taught how to truly think by parents and schools.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:24 pm

See above.


GIA

Some of them are seeing God as "allowing" it and some have not taken it far enough to see much of anything. They just believe .


We are all wrong because ultimatey we cannot really know. Anyway, in many ways, you and I think alike but we all have blind spots and boxes which we just cannot climb up out of it.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Artimas » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:GIA


Have you read of all the times god kills en mass?


So, what are you saying here? That you actually believe this garbage? Do you believe in a genocidal God? I sometimes get the sense that you do believe in some kind of a God. You seem to be so angry and you seem to feed that anger.

If you do not believe in God though, what do you say to people who do and who believe that their God is responsible for all of the misery in the world?

The Christian bias of idol worshiping a genocidal god while proclaiming he is good shows how immoral their ideology has made them.


I would like you to show me how this is true, how they have become immoral because of this. Give me an example. The way I look at it, immoral IS as immoral does.


I am not a literalist and read the bible as myth, not history.

I am a Gnostic Christian and hold no supernatural beliefs whatsoever.

What I am angry with is a religion that is homophobic and misogynous and has somehow convinced half decent people that a genocidal god is somehow good.

If theists continue to praise a god who they see as directly creating all the evils of the world, then I would tell them that they are morally corrupted by their beliefs.

As to your last. Morals are a learned thing to a large extent. Secular law and few people will praise a genocidal entity yet Christianity does.

Where else would Christians learn such a foul way to think?

Regards
DL


Can't be evil and wise and can't understand something without becoming wise, so "evil" comes from ignorance and if it comes from ignorance then it is not evil it is just bad, evil implies understood intent to do bad, it's like when a child puts it's hand on something hot, the child's ignorance compels their curiosity and natural instincts, "evil" works similarly out of ignorance, yet then it is not truly evil.

The god is only good, for it is wisdom and wisdom is only good, can't be both bad and understanding/wise. You can be bad and have knowledge, but my question would then be, do you understand that knowledge? If bad, then no because bad and wise don't go together.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:[

Possibly from not learning how to really thing not being taught how to truly think by parents and schools.


Our schools and many parents are fine.

It is the lying and child abusing religions that need our negative attention.

African witches and Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6gvtYrga8

Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

Death to Gays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuKLyGUHNE

This shit should be illegal.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:29 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:See above.


GIA

Some of them are seeing God as "allowing" it and some have not taken it far enough to see much of anything. They just believe .


We are all wrong because ultimatey we cannot really know. Anyway, in many ways, you and I think alike but we all have blind spots and boxes which we just cannot climb up out of it.


I think it is easy to know that a genocidal and infanticidal god is a prick.

I will stay in my box till all the fools recognize this simple moral fact.

Those who do not follow suit are not living by the Golden Rule.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 pm

Artimas wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:


I would like you to show me how this is true, how they have become immoral because of this. Give me an example. The way I look at it, immoral IS as immoral does.


I am not a literalist and read the bible as myth, not history.

I am a Gnostic Christian and hold no supernatural beliefs whatsoever.

What I am angry with is a religion that is homophobic and misogynous and has somehow convinced half decent people that a genocidal god is somehow good.

If theists continue to praise a god who they see as directly creating all the evils of the world, then I would tell them that they are morally corrupted by their beliefs.

As to your last. Morals are a learned thing to a large extent. Secular law and few people will praise a genocidal entity yet Christianity does.

Where else would Christians learn such a foul way to think?

Regards
DL


Can't be evil and wise and can't understand something without becoming wise, so "evil" comes from ignorance and if it comes from ignorance then it is not evil it is just bad, evil implies understood intent to do bad, it's like when a child puts it's hand on something hot, the child's ignorance compels their curiosity and natural instincts, "evil" works similarly out of ignorance, yet then it is not truly evil.

The god is only good, for it is wisdom and wisdom is only good, can't be both bad and understanding/wise. You can be bad and have knowledge, but my question would then be, do you understand that knowledge? If bad, then no because bad and wise don't go together.


I agree that Yahweh is not wise nor moral, which shows that the people who invented him either wanted a prick for a god or a moral monster who would hate everyone they hated.

I think the term you are seeking is men's rea. That is Latin for evil mind or evil intent. Without that, secular law will not convict for even horrendous crimes. They usually go for insanity.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Greatest I Am,

I think it is easy to know that a genocidal and infanticidal god is a prick.


Like a thorn in the finger from a rose?

Not necessarily. What about those who have been raised in a culture where hate and vengeance is the only answer? Why do terrorists believe in such a god who would kill and destroy? They were raised that way. They were raised in a patriarchal family where father ruled or they were brainwashed and fueled from others who did. Father may have been loved, as despicable as he might have bee, though also feared. Perhaps learned at their father's knee that their god was a vengeful one and demanded strict obedience and exactment of punishment.
I think that we kind of see "what" we are.

I will stay in my box till all the fools recognize this simple moral fact.

You may get hungry. Can I bring you something to eat?
Well, I do not really see you as staying in your box as you are saying the things which you do in here.
I do not think that we are automatically born as moral beings? We are taught that way ~~~ or not.


Those who do not follow suit are not living by the Golden Rule.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?
Is that your golden rule or does it differ even slightly?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Greatest I Am,

I think it is easy to know that a genocidal and infanticidal god is a prick.


Like a thorn in the finger from a rose?

Not necessarily. What about those who have been raised in a culture where hate and vengeance is the only answer? Why do terrorists believe in such a god who would kill and destroy? They were raised that way. They were raised in a patriarchal family where father ruled or they were brainwashed and fueled from others who did. Father may have been loved, as despicable as he might have bee, though also feared. Perhaps learned at their father's knee that their god was a vengeful one and demanded strict obedience and exactment of punishment.
I think that we kind of see "what" we are.

I will stay in my box till all the fools recognize this simple moral fact.

You may get hungry. Can I bring you something to eat?
Well, I do not really see you as staying in your box as you are saying the things which you do in here.
I do not think that we are automatically born as moral beings? We are taught that way ~~~ or not.


Those who do not follow suit are not living by the Golden Rule.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?
Is that your golden rule or does it differ even slightly?


Our first moral decisions are led by our instincts. They are our first teacher or guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIb22-5Lwg

As to the Golden Rule, I follow the more modern version of Harm/Care leading our thinking before we apply reciprocity, which is what the Golden Rule represents.

Scriptures have Jesus turning the other cheek against evil, which to most Christians, means rewarding evil and I do not believe that that is a good thing to do as it goes against the reciprocity idea.

Christians do not seem to know or care that turning the other cheek is really a Jewish insult to the hitter. Christians have ignored the Jewish view of this Jewish religion.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 pm

Greatest I Am,


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIb22-5Lwg


I watched that. Such cute babies. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out there. Sometimes we have a tendency to see what we want to see, to see what we want to prove.
I wonder if babies have the capacity to "interpret" what they are seeing at that age as being right or wrong even unconsciously.
As for choosing the stuffed animal, how many times and on how many children was this done? How do we really know why the child chose one over the other?
I do realize that the above is not what the thread is about.

Our first moral decisions are led by our instincts. They are our first teacher or guide.


Like baby animals? How old are you saying that we are in the above case? Are we really thinking in terms of morality or in terms of what our needs are? Babies have needs to be loved and comforted. That is where their instincts take them.

As to the Golden Rule, I follow the more modern version of Harm/Care leading our thinking before we apply reciprocity, which is what the Golden Rule represents.


I agree with this. Actions have consequences. Think before you act. "To do no harm".

Scriptures have Jesus turning the other cheek against evil, which to most Christians, means rewarding evil and I do not believe that that is a good thing to do as it goes against the reciprocity idea.


I do not think that Christians who do not respond in the manner of an eye for an eye necessarily feel that they are rewarding evil. Why would you have to think in that way? Perhaps they are trying to teach by example.

But I do agree with you where true evil is concerned. There can be no turning the other cheek because then evil will continue and flourish.

What was the example in the bible where Jesus supposedly turned the other cheek? What was the reason for it? Did Jesus always turn the other cheek in all circumstances?

Christians do not seem to know or care that turning the other cheek is really a Jewish insult to the hitter. Christians have ignored the Jewish view of this Jewish religion.


I never realized that if it is in fact the case. That is interesting. So it can simply be about ignoring the person which says that he is not important enough to be bothered about. Which actually can be a wise thing to do. lol

Regards to you too.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s ga

Postby Greatest I am » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Arcturas Descending

“I wonder if babies have the capacity to "interpret" what they are seeing at that age as being right or wrong even unconsciously.”

I would say yes, with Jung and Freud’s Father/Mother Complex and our selfish gene, our primary gene, in mind. Body language might be instinctive as well.
------------------

“As for choosing the stuffed animal, how many times and on how many children was this done? How do we really know why the child chose one over the other?”
I do realize that the above is not what the thread is about.”

No sweat buddy.
I recognize my bias. I would not insult you with a list of links or a read this or that book response.

I have been looking about for many years. I just hope our biases are not too far apart and one of us learns something from the exchange. I think that a pleasure and hope one of us gets it.

Gnostic Christians are naturalists; that is a part of our ideology. We recognize ourselves and all humans as the top of the line that nature has yet to best. You might have heard of the Cathar Parfait.

My quick answer to your question is I don’t know but I have seen enough to have me lean to this thinking. Giving you my many sources would be an insult and would not help you.

I am pleased to look at anything that refutes that science though.
------------------

“Like baby animals? How old are you saying that we are in the above case? Are we really thinking in terms of morality or in terms of what our needs are?”

We are baby animals, so yes, like baby animals.

I guess that old here would be about 12ish as the age of reason pops out about then. Males and females vary as well.

I like to use immunity to the Princess Alice syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw
-------------------

“Think before you act. "To do no harm".

Knowing that we will all do harm, I prefer Try to mitigate the harm you will do.

I am a contrary sod. Apologies. ;-)

-------------------------

“So it can simply be about ignoring the person which says that he is not important enough to be bothered about. Which actually can be a wise thing to do. Lol”

I don’t know. I try not to sink too much into psychobabble stuff. That is as bad as the supernatural.

As long as you and I know it is all a collective hunch.

I am French and would think more like, did something just touch me, and was that you, Troue de Q, as the eyes dare the Tabarnac to do it again. Jesus was a runner, but also had a temper. He was married. :o
---------------

I hate how the quote format work for my own failings. Apologies for this lay out.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anomaly654, Fanman