If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Share and discuss.

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 am

Meno:

The Sky is Crying.....read some of the comments for this song and this one

theloniousMac
1 month ago
My father could play the blues on his old guitar like nobody's business. His guitar was named Shirley. Still is I guess. She's in my closet. My father was a mechanic by profession, but he had the music in him. I inherited the mechanic side. Majored in computer science. Became a systems engineer. I freelance now. Do almost everything from home. I tend to work late at night, remotely connecting to people computers, fixing problems, managing servers, writing the code that glues it all together.

I live in a downtown loft. Me, my pit bull Quincy, my desk with several computers, lots of empty space, my bed, Quincy's beds, and the chair. I used to say it was his chair. My father. Not Quincy.

Every once in a while he'd show up, like on a Friday night, bring a bottle of single malt because that's all I'd drink. Shit, he'd bring a 20 year old bottle of Oban that must have cost him $80 to $100 bucks. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he'd just do it. He'd pour himself and me about 3 fingers, and he'd sit in the chair and just play.

I'd usually just keep working. Every so often he'd slow down and say something like, "Boy, you still ain't got no woman? How long has it been." I sigh and say, "I dunno. 20 years maybe." He'd play for a few more minutes and suddenly say, "20 years. Shit. What's wrong with you? I had me a little taste just a week ago." I tell him, "I just don't appeal to the ladies like you do." He'd say, "You don't even try. Look at this place. It's sterile. You and that crazy dog and those damn computers. You don't have a single 'personal' item on display anywhere." I'd explain that I'm a minimalist. He'd think about that for a few minutes. Finally start playing again.

He'd ask if I was ever going to buy a couch or a TV. I'd explain why I didn't need them. He'd just shake his head and try to explain that maybe a woman would come over if she had a place to sit. Sometimes he's make me laugh, whether I wanted to or not.

On the way out, he'd say, "Boy, you got a whole lot a book learnin, but you ain't got a lick of common sense."

Just lovely!
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:49 am

Wow...I love this, she is amazing.

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:53 am

bahman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

I have not liked any of your video choices.. until now, as they were very noise indeed, but thank you for sharing Tool.. a more thoughtful and melodic musical prose - MJK once frequented these boards a few years back, so a very apt share for ILP it is.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 am

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:33 am

magsj wrote:I have not liked any of your video choices.. until now, as they were very noisy indeed

grab yourself a can of...

... and you'll be feelin' just fine.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 am

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby bahman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 pm

MagsJ wrote:

I have not liked any of your video choices.. until now, as they were very noise indeed, but thank you for sharing Tool.. a more thoughtful and melodic musical prose - MJK once frequented these boards a few years back, so a very apt share for ILP it is.

I am sorry you didn't like my music. :(
The sincerity in mind is the door to divine knowledge.
bahman

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:42 am

Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:53 am

How to abolish a beat.

Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 pm

^^^ not to be a hater or anything, but just a sensible critic, i'd like to say this. first, the songs were already done at 3.5 minutes. making them 6 minutes long is agonizing unless the instrument section is composite enough to carry and develop it. in this case, it wasn't. instead what he have is a group of hiphop artists who, because they have very basic skill at playing instruments, believe they can add integrity and novelty to what's being done by not producing it with an electronic synth instead... which could easily be done given the simplicity of the music. to organize a six piece horn section and two drummers (who are playing what can be played by one drummer alone) is very pretentious unless you're going to do something remarkable. but nothing remarkable was done... except maybe for repeating the same figures and notes for six minutes straight.

i dunno, it's just out of place. it is as if cRapping is trespassing into a musical territory where it doesn't belong, and depreciating the value of our understanding of what can/should be done with such instruments. similar to modern band stage performances where you have eleven musicians on stage posing with an instrument but doing nothing substantial with it. this is the trend today; having the appearance of a musician. consumers are drawn more easily to the product when it looks like something substantial. and this industrial mode of mass music production did not originate accidentally. it results from cheapening quality to increase quantity to increase profitability. first, dumb down the audience so musical formulae can be simplified. next, condition them to expect what is familiar formula and deny what is unique and creative. finally, reproduce and market simplified familiar formula at an extraordinary rate. enter the commodification of music... the age of appearance without depth. (and not just with music).
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:28 pm

You're reading too much into it.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm

The nice thing about the live band is you notice the rappers swim through the noises. With computrized beats, it's less noticeable. So this kinda brings out the art of rapping, as different from say reciting poetry.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:30 pm

But to each his own, no problem here if you want to make a thesis out of it.
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:07 am

bahman

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 am

bahman

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 am

promethean75 wrote:
magsj wrote:I have not liked any of your video choices.. until now, as they were very noisy indeed

grab yourself a can of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFPLLARttwg

... and you'll be feelin' just fine.

..make it stop!
Attachments
a15486_feea2b16fc7f4cba85fee4229382be9a-mv2.gif
a15486_feea2b16fc7f4cba85fee4229382be9a-mv2.gif (466.57 KiB) Viewed 8604 times

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:41 am

bahman wrote:
MagsJ wrote:

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (944.34 KiB) Viewed 8606 times

But I did like that one.. I guess such noisy tracks are for wide-awake-time, when one is wired.

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby promethean75 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:09 pm

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:14 pm

^^^

the point he is trying to make is well received but the advised efforts are not radical enough to escape the confines in which they take place. this is because the stranglehold of the capitalist modes of commodification and consumption are so strong as to prevent any contrary force from developing inside it which could escape it's control; even the the unconventional, the unorthodox, the rebellious, are just more forms of manufactured identity. concerning the reception of art, nothing, today, can be immediately immediate, but again mediated through some channel which, because it begins as a reactive force against the banal constraints put upon the object the immediacy wishes to regain control of, is already subject to its forces. it responds, and it's response is manufactured. it is an anarchy from within, and therefore just another commodity, just another mediated mode of being that is no more authentic than the modes it rebels against.

true anarchy today cannot be realized with some silly utopian attitude of primitivism and simplicity that tries to re-achieve Rousseau's vision of the natural man, free from the imposing forces of civilization and its manufactured culture. such an attitude is a passive-anarchism, an impotent anarchism, a caricature of a kind of being that is absolutely impossible in capitalist/consumerist society today. to be truly immediate today - which would mean to practice real spontaneity - would almost demand incredibly violent force, to assure that the circumference in which the mode of being originates is broken and shattered before it can lay claim to manufacturing it and rendering it just another commodified mode of being.

'originality', today, cannot be planned or deliberated without some element of violence in it, as this is the only way to assure that the effort is not just another series of ideas and modes of being which one is given permission to have, allowed to have, even encouraged to have by that which manufactures the simulacrum of the identity of the would-be anarchist.

an anarchist is not a 'pet' to the system. the anarchist does not 'negotiate', does not accept only ideas he is given to 'work with' within the confines of the system he revolts against. he does not 'buy' the identity, does not 'read' about what it means to be an anarchist in some narrative... some market device portraying another fetishized identity available for purchase if one wants to 'feel' like an anarchist.

'peaceful anarchist'. i have never seen a more genuine oxymoron.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby bahman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm

MagsJ wrote:
bahman wrote:
MagsJ wrote:I have not liked any of your video choices.. until now, as they were very noise indeed, but thank you for sharing Tool.. a more thoughtful and melodic musical prose - MJK once frequented these boards a few years back, so a very apt share for ILP it is.

tenor.gif

But I did like that one.. I guess such noisy tracks are for wide-awake-time, when one is wired.

True. :mrgreen:
bahman

Postby promethean75 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:16 pm

... then he said "hey Snappy, me and Greeny'll come along, but only if we can bring a friend. His name is Harold."

promethean75
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 am

Somebody stepped inside my soul..

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Meno_ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:40 am

Meno_
ILP Legend

Postby bahman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 pm

bahman

Postby promethean75 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 pm

promethean75
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment