False Knowledge

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

False Knowledge

Postby Dan~ » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 am

It's not hard to stick labels on abstractions.
This is blue, this is red, this is good, this is bad, this is interesting, this is 5 feet tall.
So what?
This kind of thing is cheap first impressions.
People build up a million of these, and call it knowledge.
Attaching impressions to experiences.

Judge-mental-ism.

Eventually we arrive at best and worst.
This is religion.

What more can i say? Labeling ideas is not true knowledge.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: False Knowledge

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:46 pm

actually, there might be more work that goes into it than first realized, for things being accidental lies to start with, the work to purposeful might be rife with meaning.
Are we gonna fight or are you planning on boring me to death?
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher

Postby Guide » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:20 pm

If one sees a stone, one knows a stone is there. If someone asks, how do you know, he says, for the reason that I see it. In all normal situations this is what one calls knowledge. However, is this a "labeling" of the word stone on the ostensive, i.e., on what one can point to?

Some say, mere nomination is not disturbing to what one can point to. And it still retains its unkown status. Although, than are we simply claiming to know that the ostensibles are unkown? Or, under some conditions might one still hope and tremble in consternation over knowing and its essential possibility?
Guide

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Guide wrote:If one sees a stone, one knows a stone is there. If someone asks, how do you know, he says, for the reason that I see it. In all normal situations this is what one calls knowledge. However, is this a "labeling" of the word stone on the ostensive, i.e., on what one can point to?

Some say, mere nomination is not disturbing to what one can point to. And it still retains its unkown status. Although, than are we simply claiming to know that the ostensibles are unkown? Or, under some conditions might one still hope and tremble in consternation over knowing and its essential possibility?

If someone asks 'how do you know the stone is there?', why not just pick the stone up and hit them upside the head with it?
Are we gonna fight or are you planning on boring me to death?
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Reminds me of the story of the classroom full of students packed into prof. Berkeley's classroom. An eager student raised his hand and said
Meno_
Philosopher

Return to Philosophy