Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 pm

I've heard the argument that you NEED the bad to discern the good, some even think through this line that bad is good.

Let me correct that.

What we all know to be morally good is 100 percent consent.

Let's say life is a roller coaster, and one part becomes to scary and you say "no!!!" And you teleport off of it and are safely on the ground.

Maybe 1000 years later you try to go further ...

But it's all on your own terms, and on your own terms, you develop a sense of right and wrong.

You don't need to be out of control of horrors and pains and torments and sufferings to experience right and wrong.

From this, we can conclude, that any opposing world system is evil, to be killed, arrested, imprisoned, it is beyond the pale ... crossing the line from consent to non-consent.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 am

Ecmandu wrote:I've heard the argument that you NEED the bad to discern the good, some even think through this line that bad is good.

Let me correct that.

What we all know to be morally good is 100 percent consent.

Let's say life is a roller coaster, and one part becomes to scary and you say "no!!!" And you teleport off of it and are safely on the ground.

Maybe 1000 years later you try to go further ...

But it's all on your own terms, and on your own terms, you develop a sense of right and wrong.

You don't need to be out of control of horrors and pains and torments and sufferings to experience right and wrong.

From this, we can conclude, that any opposing world system is evil, to be killed, arrested, imprisoned, it is beyond the pale ... crossing the line from consent to non-consent.


I want to add to this because it may not be clear.

Every being wants a 100% consensual reality; to the extent this doesn't occur, we can define the reality in question a pure evil.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby phyllo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Every being wants a 100% consensual reality; to the extent this doesn't occur, we can define the reality in question a pure evil.
Just accept what is and try to change what you dislike about it.

You can push the universe in a preferred direction but you can't recreate the universe.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10870
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Silhouette » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Now apply this to children.

They want to gorge on sweets/candy, make loud noises in inappropriate situations, defecate themselves whenever they feel like it, sometimes play in unsafe environments, play for short term fun rather than work on less pleasant and/or more difficult things for long term gain and so on and so on and so on...

Do they 100% consent to being parented in their best interests? Absolutely not.

Is being parented in their best interests a moral good? Obviously.

Are some people never really grown up enough to parent themselves even in adulthood? Evidently.

Think through your arguments before you post them. Or are your arguments 100% good because you can't be bothered to do this and you consent more to blurting out the first thing that comes into your head?

In this case, I'd say it's more moral for you to be parented against your consent...
User avatar
Silhouette
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:27 am
Location: Existence

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 am

Silhouette wrote:Now apply this to children.

They want to gorge on sweets/candy, make loud noises in inappropriate situations, defecate themselves whenever they feel like it, sometimes play in unsafe environments, play for short term fun rather than work on less pleasant and/or more difficult things for long term gain and so on and so on and so on...

Do they 100% consent to being parented in their best interests? Absolutely not.

Is being parented in their best interests a moral good? Obviously.

Are some people never really grown up enough to parent themselves even in adulthood? Evidently.

Think through your arguments before you post them. Or are your arguments 100% good because you can't be bothered to do this and you consent more to blurting out the first thing that comes into your head?

In this case, I'd say it's more moral for you to be parented against your consent...


In 100% consensual realities, there are no negative consequences you don't want.

Your parents, as would every being in your reality, would be reflections of hyperdimensional mirrors from platonic forms. It's impossible to hurt anyone or be hurt by anyone against your will. Your limitation is your imagination.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Silhouette » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Ecmandu wrote:In 100% consensual realities, there are no negative consequences you don't want.

Ha, that's convenient.

100% consent... in hindsight :lol:

So as long as you end up appreciating it later, it's not negative... but what if you don't end up appreciating it because you lack the wisdom? What if you end up appreciating that which is negative - like an abusive relationship or rule by Corporations? If something is taken to be good but turns out to be bad, I dunno like that slavery that's been so loved in religious texts, or vice versa like science, then even hindsight for these imaginary "100% consensual realities" can't save your "there are no negative consequences you don't want".

No doubt this is why people have historically made up the existence of some all wise and knowing referee simply for the sake of upholding the ridiculous notion of absolute morality, when it's obviously relative without the need to make up anything.

Ecmandu wrote:It's impossible to hurt anyone or be hurt by anyone against your will. Your limitation is your imagination.

Say that to rape victim, I dare you. "It was your will to end up in the situation where you lost power and then a lot more, for the rest of your life".

Meanwhile in reality, as above, nobody is 100% knowing and wise, and sometimes mistakes of will end up in hurt. You need to come down from your cloud.

Ecmandu wrote:Your parents, as would every being in your reality, would be reflections of hyperdimensional mirrors from platonic forms.

Yeah all this metaphorical wavey hand terminology doesn't exist. Where do platonic forms actually live? Which country/planet/point in space?

As you've said before, you're hallucinating them. No doubt you're just trying to give credence to the fact that when you imagine things, they don't have the same clarity as reality - so their existence must be some kind of "form" or outline, right? No, it's just the brain being bad at remembering things.
User avatar
Silhouette
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:27 am
Location: Existence

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:07 pm

Rape victims? In a 100% consensual reality?

Rapes only occur non consensually in our reality.

Platonic forms exist in a different dimension, and we would be using hyperdimensional mirrors to render our 100% consensual reality in analog.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Silhouette » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Rape victims? In a 100% consensual reality?

Rapes only occur non consensually in our reality.

Ok, I was incorrectly assuming that you were presenting this "100% consensual (in hindsight) reality" as realistic. Yes, it obviously doesn't occur in reality - because we cannot know what is for the best because we don't have hindsight and 100% knowledge and wisdom.

To the extent that 100% consent is a pure evil, that which prevents it: a lack of 100% knowledge and wisdom in hindsight is a pure evil. This seems rather redundant because obviously it is the case that 100% prediction of the future doesn't appear to be possible - even using "hyperdimensional mirrors", whatever that means...

As it is, nobody can know moral good or bad absolutely. Yes, consent is nice and should be optimised whenever appropriate - and we as a species seem to forever be trying to determine what is appropriate, and continually failing in different ways because of the reality of future prediction. There's no more point in calling a necessary aspect of reality a pure evil any more than it would be to call some "Minority Report" scenario (where a lack of 100% consent would be preventable before it even occurred) a pure evil. I don't get the point of this thread other than dreaming of realities that can't exist, and wouldn't solve anything even if they did.
User avatar
Silhouette
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:27 am
Location: Existence

Re: Everyone knows what is morally good or bad

Postby Ecmandu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm

My point is that non- consensual realities are defined as evil.

So what is a 100% consensual reality.

One where no always means it stops occurring, where no always means no. This is only possible if every being in the universe lives in its own reality.

hyperdimensional mirror: imagine holding a mirror up to someone and punching their face in the mirror... it's impossible to hurt them. Hyperdimansional mirrors reflect immersive realities and consciousness signatures, but you are in full control of how the mirror is shaped and what your reality is like. It's the only non-zero sum solution to life. In a world like this, we hurt people no matter what we do... because it's a zero sum world system.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7122
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am


Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ecmandu