When I say "Philosophy"

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

When I say "Philosophy"

Postby Destiny » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:36 pm

When I say "philosophy" which I don't do so often mind you, it is about my philosophy of doing for example, the necessary labour to get through the week right. I think that's the Greek meaning they gave to it. I tried to read some threads on here and they are so far out. Going around in circles about who is smarter and who has more books in his house to quote from, that and just religious and political anger. I think that is the opposite of what the Greeks said philosophy is. Love of wisdom, isn't that the meaning?

So, here's some philosophy.

Aiiix/appendage q: When I wake up, I go for a swim in the river, even though some people think it is too dirty. It isn't that dirty and it strengthens my immune system to expose myself to some dirt. I started this practice last winter when it was freezing cold. I learned this from a YouTube channel, to not be afraid of the cold. Im feeling a lot less depressed ever since I put on this practice and now that its warm Im so grateful to myself. Though sometimes I cant wait until its freezing again. The river never freezes over, not since the 1980's.

z: I cook with bacon grease. There are two types of digestion, alpha and omega, and I am alpha. That means fried meat is good for me, but peaches aren't, and regular bread isn't either. But bacon grease, is. Praise be upon the piggies! So, eat what is good for your type.

N(n)==>"(n)": I give to beggars, because they're so happy and I like to make such a huge difference in someone's day for so little trouble. Its a selfish pleasure, I dont kid myself. So here's the philosophy: altruism can be a nice form of egoism. Or selfishness. Im not clear if egoism and selfishness are the same thing, maybe one of you book thumpers can teach me.

(p=q)²: I gave up trying to figure out if God exists because of something that I thought really smart someone told me, here goes: God and the Devil are both going to be much smarter than I am so if they're competing for my soul with scriptures and all sorts of other media, I will surely not be able to tell who is which and which is who. So its safer to just be content with my doubts and do what my heart gives in and don't transgress my hearts desires. Maybe God and the Devil are both metaphors for the mysteries of the heart!
what if you hate you
Destiny

Re: When I say "Philosophy"

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:18 pm

lol
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:21 pm

:)
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Destiny » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:19 pm

Big Philosophy is like a problem people can have. Like some sort of code not written for the mind it inhabits.

Poor mind. Like how a big aristocrat has money he didn't earn but still has to protect is a problem for him. It just fills his days and wastes his emotions.
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:52 am

When the Greeks began and invested in Philosophy, it was closer to "Science" of today. There are two methods of "loving wisdom". The first is to seek out Wisdom in others. What the Greeks demonstrated here, through Socrates, is that the populaces of the city-states, don't offer much-if-any wisdom. Socrates posed his questions to the masses and to the popular politicians and "intellectuals". Yet, almost none of them demonstrated any significant 'Wisdom'. The second method is to seek out Wisdom in the world-itself, the environment, the patterns in Nature, to which Socrates and Aristotle referred to as "Forms" or Patterns. Aristotle went much further in that, into Logic, Rationality, and how to understand those "Forms".

Today, sadly, not much has changed. A Postmodern "Socrates" has already come and gone. He has sought out wisdom among the masses of the Entire Earth, through the internet, and just like over 2000 years ago, the mass populace and politicians have as little Wisdom as the Greeks of the City-States so long ago. Because Wisdom is rare in men and Mankind. Science, on the other hand, is much clearer and obvious in its progression. Technological advancement is much easier to see, understand, and accept as 'progression' and development.

I don't think that Philosophy can be achieved, without seeking Wisdom in the general populace. Today, with the internet, it's much easier than ever before for any person on Earth, over 7,000,000,000 people, to seek out Wisdom in others. Yet, do you see it in action? Do you see the Great questions? Do you see the Great answers? Few people seek—and even fewer people answer. Good Philosophy requires great Courage, along with great Humility. This combination of traits is very rare in a person. Even rarer is to add Wisdom into that mix. Because most people turn-away from "Philosophy" when they approach answers and truth which destroys and humiliates. Sometimes Truth is evil, cruel, hateful, and unjust. Most people cannot stomach that, and so, cannot stomach Philosophy.

Like you say, people cannot handle a little "dirt".
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:41 pm

god going into all of this makes my head hurt. It's not that its so difficult to understand, its just, as you say, so hopeless. We've had so many chances as a civilization and so few were taken and now it feels like its just an inextricable mess. I dont know if its just me but people seem so much more defeated than like ten years ago and the world feels really stuck. Now we need to look up to Elon Musk when he buys Twitter. Meanwhile the majority of the animal and plant species is gone. Gone. Never coming back. Even though maybe that sort of Noahs fridge in the Arctic they built to preserve seeds may have some embryos from animals only recently extinct, the majority is just... lost. How can that be? Its mind bogglingly sad. Like you say evil, cruel, hateful and unjust and oh so true.

Who is this postmodern Socrates you were referring to by the way?
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 am

Destiny wrote:god going into all of this makes my head hurt. It's not that its so difficult to understand, its just, as you say, so hopeless. We've had so many chances as a civilization and so few were taken and now it feels like its just an inextricable mess. I dont know if its just me but people seem so much more defeated than like ten years ago and the world feels really stuck. Now we need to look up to Elon Musk when he buys Twitter. Meanwhile the majority of the animal and plant species is gone. Gone. Never coming back. Even though maybe that sort of Noahs fridge in the Arctic they built to preserve seeds may have some embryos from animals only recently extinct, the majority is just... lost. How can that be? Its mind bogglingly sad. Like you say evil, cruel, hateful and unjust and oh so true.

Who is this postmodern Socrates you were referring to by the way?

Civilizations, Societies, Cultures, etc. all rise and fall given enough time. You need to pick & choose your battles accordingly. If the Environment is valuable to you, then learn about it properly. I'm old enough to have heard countless episodes of panic and fear-mongering. They told us in the 90s that the hole in the Ozone layer was growing and everybody would fry to death within a few years. They told us Y2K would destroy society. They told us another Ice Age was imminent. My point is, beware of fear and fear-mongering. Fear, the most powerful emotion, clouds Reason and Judgment the worst. It is the most prevalent form of propaganda, and is evident in many threads throughout this forum as primary motivation behind ideals.

The Socrates I referred to went by "Wonderer" or "Wanderer" for awhile, over several years ago.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:52 pm

I see.

I dont care so much about human society except on a small local scale as I do about animal and plant species.

Not a fan of Socrates by the way, since he was a pedophile and hated life. Dont hate me for saying that, I know he's extremely popular. Never understood why ever since we read his Apology in high school. I thought, to be honest well fuck you then you sad sack. Later I found out he was a rapist of young boys, its right there in the dialogues how he intimidates a young pretty boy by pretending to be all about philosophy. It was just a schtick for him to have sex. Thats probably why he's so popular with academics. No offense, you dont seem like a sex crazed academic. Just maybe think about oof Socrates is really that great of an example.

Anyway thanks for at least the attempt at a sensible discussion. People here seem ... dormant.

what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:08 am

i've said for years that philosophy is not the practice of memorizing arguments or learning the history of thinkers, but instead the art of living your best life. not to say that you wont inadvertently do those other things, but they aren't the point
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Dan~ » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:05 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:i've said for years that philosophy is not the practice of memorizing arguments or learning the history of thinkers, but instead the art of living your best life. not to say that you wont inadvertently do those other things, but they aren't the point

Philosophy is a form of mind-loving. in proper form.

in crappy form, philosophical magnitude is based in extreme doubt.
The doubt is called "critical thinking", by those word-abusers.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Destiny wrote:I see.

I dont care so much about human society except on a small local scale as I do about animal and plant species.

Not a fan of Socrates by the way, since he was a pedophile and hated life. Dont hate me for saying that, I know he's extremely popular. Never understood why ever since we read his Apology in high school. I thought, to be honest well fuck you then you sad sack. Later I found out he was a rapist of young boys, its right there in the dialogues how he intimidates a young pretty boy by pretending to be all about philosophy. It was just a schtick for him to have sex. Thats probably why he's so popular with academics. No offense, you dont seem like a sex crazed academic. Just maybe think about oof Socrates is really that great of an example.

Anyway thanks for at least the attempt at a sensible discussion. People here seem ... dormant.

When I was reading that, my takeaway was he refused to participate sexually with the boys they were supposed to be mentoring, and mocked the arrangement.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:05 pm

_
We live philosophy.. philosophy is life.. life is for living.. and around and around and around and around we go, as Rihanna once said.
Last edited by MagsJ on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:01 am

Wisdom is very attractive, especially to the Ignorant.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:33 am

Love from want does not rule out love from fullness.

x from want does not rule out x from fullness

It’s just that… there is legit only one who is full.

the Infinite Well

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:25 pm

Why would they present him to Socrates like sex slaves are always presented to someone who has a taste for them? Plus Socrates wakes up in other mens houses before he gets into dialogues here and there so he is definitely not abstinent.

Im not claiming these boys are slaves, I just mean that was the relationship between horny men and ignorant boys in Ancient Greece. Some Roman history claims by the way that the Celts were all bi as well, constantly having homosexual sex. You think that is true?

What is it with homosexuality??? Are all men secretly gay? Im disturbed by this thought. I dislike seeing men kissing. Ive never thankfully seen them do more than that but I bet Id hate it too. But it was so normal in 'glorious days'.

Wtf. Now its normal too of course.
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Destiny » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:31 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
We live philosophy.. philosophy is life.. life is for living.. and around and around and around and around we go, as Rihanna once said.

I used to think Rihanna was a fake but then I heard this.

And you got me like, oh
What you want from me? (What you want from me?)
And I tried to buy your pretty heart, but the price too high
Baby you got me like, oh, mm
You love when I fall apart (fall apart)
So you can put me together
And throw me against the wall
Baby you got me like ah, woo, ah
Don't you stop loving me (loving me)
Don't quit loving me (loving me)
Just start loving me (loving me)
Oh, and baby I'm fist fighting with fire
Just to get close to you
Can we burn something, babe?
And I run for miles just to get a taste
Must be love on the brain
That's got me feeling this way (feeling this way)
It beats me black and blue but it fucks me so good
And I can't get enough
Must be love on the brain yeah
And it keeps cursing my name (cursing my name)
No matter what I do, I'm no good without you
And I can't get enough
Must be love on the brain
Baby, keep loving me
Just love me, yeah
Just love me
All you need to do is love me, yeah
Got me like ah-ah-ah-ow
I'm tired of being played like a violin
What do I gotta do to get in your motherfuckin' heart?

(ps you have to skip through a whole intro I didn't listen to if you want to get to the song)

All the philosophers of Greece had love on the brain or isn't that true?

Love of wisdom.... maybe its translated wrong. Maybe it means wise love.
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:49 pm

Destiny wrote:Why would they present him to Socrates like sex slaves are always presented to someone who has a taste for them? Plus Socrates wakes up in other mens houses before he gets into dialogues here and there so he is definitely not abstinent.

Im not claiming these boys are slaves, I just mean that was the relationship between horny men and ignorant boys in Ancient Greece. Some Roman history claims by the way that the Celts were all bi as well, constantly having homosexual sex. You think that is true?

What is it with homosexuality??? Are all men secretly gay? Im disturbed by this thought. I dislike seeing men kissing. Ive never thankfully seen them do more than that but I bet Id hate it too. But it was so normal in 'glorious days'.

Wtf. Now its normal too of course.

Your evidence is they went through a social custom with him, and he woke up in someone else’s house?

Person gets hit on by folks who know she’ll say no.
—> Person must sleep around.
Conclusion does not follow.

Person has a philosophy all-nighter with friends.
—> Obv not about philosophy.
Conclusion does not follow.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:08 pm

I just said its what it seems like to me. Obviously Plato wasn't going to describe him having the actual sex!!

Come on.

You have no evidence either, face it.
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:11 pm

I haven’t read Plato exhaustively, but... He was mocking them.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Destiny » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:45 pm

Gosh you're stubborn. Im thinking about it. Ive been thinking about it since you said it. First I was like, okay thats pretty much totally possible. But then it fell apart in my brain because of, why would they be offering him the boys if they knew he was just going to mock them? Now Im reading the Symposium but it reveals nothing. http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html Except that he has love on the brain.
what if you hate you
Destiny

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Wisdom is very attractive, especially to the Ignorant.

Not all like wisdom/hearing wise words and sage advice.. you’d be surprised by just how many.

Often-times the wise stop talking, and then-what for the wise!?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm

There is no business like show business.

There is n I philosophy like me no philosophy

As Livid Proof
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:44 pm

Destiny wrote:
MagsJ wrote:We live philosophy.. philosophy is life.. life is for living.. and around and around and around and around we go, as Rihanna once said.

I used to think Rihanna was a fake but then I heard this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-upjFaHvw

(ps you have to skip through a whole intro I didn't listen to if you want to get to the song)

“We live philosophy.. philosophy is life.. life is for living..” ~ my own thought.

“..and around and around and around and around we go.” ~ Rihanna’s offering, from 'Stay'.

Destiny wrote:Love of wisdom.... maybe its translated wrong. Maybe it means wise love.

Perhaps.. something to look into, I guess.. to be traced back in time to the point of original origin of when the concept and notion came into existence.. just like 'god' seems to have derived from 'gott' which meant 'good'.

That sounds like a paid research job though. lol

Destiny wrote:All the philosophers of Greece had love on the brain or isn't that true?

Well homosexuality is nothing new, but who knows how extensive it was.. one would have to examine the pertinent texts for that amount of clarity on the matter.

Love on the brain, the trigger for reproduction.. homosexuality when women weren’t around, whom were either stolen by other tribes or killed/culled at birth.

Who’s up for that?

MagsJ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:06 am

this one pretty sold as well

pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am

but this is probably her best work