Leaping Over the Overman

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Leaping Over the Overman

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:43 pm

Each utterance going fathoms deeper into history:

Maranatha!

How long?

I know my redeemer lives, and at the last he will take his stand on the earth.

Words a little closer to us:

“If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.”

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:51 pm

Historyboy wrote:I didn't know somebody is trying to thing about Nietzsche's Übermensch, but if you didn't find my stories, it must be the American way.

“The American way” is a repeater these days. Sure it’s just a coincidence. Sure all the coincidences are just coincidences. But. You have my attention. Nothing strange these days — lots of repeaters.

To what do they point?

When things are looking down… look up.

https://biblehub.com/luke/21-28.htm

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:47 pm

Heaven & earth will pass away, replaced with new ones. Different meaning of heaven than “on earth as it is in heaven” just as “kingdom of heaven is inside you” isn’t talking about a new heaven/earth, or your guts. There are also different senses of the word “flesh”.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:01 pm

So. I have humored what I have felt as a tangent. Is it though? I haven’t read Nietzsche in a long time, or in depth, or at least I don’t recall it — and I don’t recall there being a connection to eschatology when he was talking about the Last Man. That’s one reason why I asked you to actually quote him. The feeling I am left with is more along the lines of human nature or potential. What it means to be a fully perfected human. So if you weren’t reading that understanding into the original post, you may want to go back and read it again. If the feeling is wrong, please point me to where he explained it.

Kierkegaard was also critical of “Christendom“ and that’s OK to be sort of self-critiquing, although I don’t think he would identify himself with what he was critiquing. But I also kind of wonder sometimes if Nietzsche was closer to a Kierkegaard than a, say, New Atheist. Anyway.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:10 pm

Marx was a lifetime before Nietzsche. Having actually read some Marx now, and if my instincts are correct about Nietzsche, they are comparable in that both understood something similar about value in the hands of humans, and what it turns us into if we do not master it.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:10 pm

P.s. Jesus on only being obligated to the law on our hearts (self=other) and all legislation being for man, rather man for legislation… and Kierkegaard contra the crowd… none of that is an eff you to loving people.

I don’t remember much about Nietzsche but didn’t he say ambition and people pleasing shows your priorities are messed up? That’s not the same as saying eff the masses. Even muckity mucks can wallow in that muck. Reminds me of Kierkegaard & how the knight of faith may appear pretty plain from the outside. And how Jesus was confronting religious leadership & denying Caesar’s divinity all the while saying not to throw pearls to swine & stuff.

Humans messed up what Jesus was/is about.. keep doing what confronted… the problem is when we try to agree with him … without him.

To what does our agreement correspond. What perfection/wholeness does it describe? It is merely parasitic. A decoy. A wind egg.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Historyboy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:35 pm

You seem to think a lot about religion.

Polytheistic view: god is what puts obstacles in our lives. Our lives are good, but there is something called "destiny", we also call it "god". We can defeat god in order to have the full control over our lives.

Monotheistic view: our lives are so bad we need somebody to guide us out of it. We are lost like children and we need an adult hand to guide us through our individual lives. Let's call that "god", and let's call god "father"! If we are good to our father, he will be good to us. Don't oppose him!

We see fully opposed world views here. The one is out of fullness and the other out of deficits.

The first can live without god and the later can't live without him.

God is no obligation, so let's abandon him!
Life is will to power. - Nietzsche; Culture is and gives power and strength - Vollgraff; The only attribute of the mind is that he is powerful. - Aristotle; Mind is dragging us into the future and the heart into the present. - Aristotle; Those who can foresee deeds are born to rule and those who need to do them are born as slaves. - Aristotle; So, what is an aristocrat? He needs to be powerful, that means to be excellent in foreseeing things! - Me; The highest honor belongs to that one who is able to predict the moves of the enemy commander. - Machiavelli; If you want that what you have inherited to possess, you need to deserve it. - Goethe; Culture, which means exactly learning to calculate, learning to think causally, learning to prevent, learning to believe in necessity. - Nietzsche. [Autumn 1887, 10 [21]]; Morals in the narrow sense is the belief that the deeds of the ancestors will be transferred to the descendants. - Nietzsche
Historyboy
Thinker

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:36 pm

Historyboy, let me get back to you on that. I just came in to repeat this:

to repeat: the other extreme of disempowerment & isolation is enabling and group think

to repeat: if anything is messed up it implies a perfect standard

i’m buried in finals week and will have more time this weekend, but I may also post here sporadically because my brain will not shut up.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:49 pm

To repeat: You can’t become strong or develop deeper roots if you are sheltered from the wind. True power makes free. We are not caged pets. We are made strong when we master the elements in us with love that overcomes.

But, see also: “It is inevitable that there should be pitfalls, but alas for the one who is responsible for them! It would be better for that person to have a millstone hung around their neck and be thrown into the depths of the sea, than that they should trip up and disturb the faith and lead astray one of these little ones.”

…I had it coming! Twice! Prolly more in his eyes. Thank God he does not leave us wallowing in filth.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy