The Infinite; the Absolute; God.

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

The Infinite; the Absolute; God.

Postby Parodites » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 am

Parodites wrote:Given the fact that you are my mind's only equal, you must share my distaste for the Byronic conscience, that is, the old cliched lamentation of the poets over knowledge being somehow equivalent to sorrow. Knowledge is not sorrow, and sorrow does not teach us anything that we could not have learned without it; sorrow is not deeper than joy. What do we gain by this monstrous wit of ours? Knowledge is neither a curse or a boon. We can defeat everything with it, with wit, but in the end, nothing can help the one who possesses it from turning it against itself. What use is it, after all, to have all the answers, and to have no questions to give our answers context? It is certainly not wisdom that we gain by it, by our wit. If wisdom ever did exist at all, it doesn't now; it was in our youth, it was a dream whose strange symbols we learn to prophesize with age, a mute hieroglyphics we learn to read back into the living shape of things, until, perhaps with a second youth, (for I am sure this is what the first youth was) assuming that we do not simply forget that dream as most do in the advancement of years, everything we set our eyes to,- all the objects of our perception,- might learn to speak for the heart they touched, to the heart that beat in accordance to them and knew the language of such images in all of Bryant's 'eloquence of nature'. Conversely, philosophy leads only to aporia and paradox. The sciences reconstruct the universe in a skeletal form, a web of causes and effects that cannot ever be traced back to any moment of true creation, only the repetition of the same dialectical contest; Reason alone only feeds the mind back to itself, deriving an empty simulacrum, a potential stripped of any vitalizing element, a clockwork gear left without any impulse to actually set it into motion, a frozen mechanism: pure descriptions, without any explanations. Poetry, the arts, music-- these only generate our eidolons, converting the fluxions of sensible matter into stable, Apollonian forms; the illusion of immortality, Plato's children of the mind, a progeny without generation. The desire of the poets to join these Forms with the shadow of our senses, to join Apollo and flesh, creates only what the Stoics called phantasai, the fog of delusion. All three of these fail to touch the Real, and what each of them lacks, we name God; what each of them refuses, we name the Infinite; what each of them denies, we name Absolute. That is why the saints and old religious masters, turning away from all three of these pursuits, chose to focus their energy on the task of negating their selfdom- on eliminating that finite element within themselves, opposing the infinite, their God. But that is just as pitiful a thing to do. The infinite is a mirror turned toward itself. They take one of the mirrors away, the lesser one, and believe they will see their God more clearly by doing so. They see nothing at all. It is easy, armed with wit alone, to fall into forgetfulness of self. But we have more than wit; as our minds save us from feeling too much, so do our feelings save us from thinking too much, Sarah. We are blessed to have both depths.
Qui non intelligit, aut taceat, aut discat.

BTHYS TOU ANAHAT KHYA-PANDEMAI.
-- Hermaedion, in: the Liber Endumiaskia.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,
in formis perisseia mutilata in omnia perisarkos mutilatum;
omniformis protosseia immutilatum in protosarkos immutilata.

Measure the breaking of the Flesh in the flesh that is broken.
[ The Ecstasies of Zosimos, Tablet
the First.]
Parodites
Philosopher

Re: The Infinite; the Absolute; God.

Postby Meno_ » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:36 am

The medium requires the median value ( aesthetic) to balance and counterbalance Byron's conscience against it's diminutive absence, to balance the unity between them.

There is cyclical substantiality of either or both kinds of value.

Therefore absence makes stronger hold on presence and reversely. , while it makes the heart grow fonder.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:34 am

How did Sarah reply? :) Is she a member here? Can she reply here?
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Parodites » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:35 am

Ichthus77 wrote:How did Sarah reply? :) Is she a member here? Can she reply here?

Hell no bro, she's by no means ever going to learn the name "Parodites", I don't want her to find my online persona and especially my politics, which is all over the place here. NO GO on that.
Last edited by Parodites on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,

the First.]
Parodites
Philosopher

Postby Parodites » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:37 am

I will relate to you though, that she told me I should have more faith in words; because, though they are fleeting and changeable things... the world is a fleeting and changeable thing. And then I said oh, you just invalidated my whole rant with a sentence, thanks.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,

the First.]
Parodites
Philosopher

Postby Parodites » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:48 am

And with that realization, she reminded me that it is possible to speak in tandem with the world's changing face, to learn its rhythm, and that this was in fact what poetry is, it is the 'second youth' I mentioned... that it is available to us. It is not Truth, but it is something.

ΑΝΤΗΡΟΠΑΡΙΟΝ,

the First.]
Parodites
Philosopher

Return to Philosophy