Brain vs Mind

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:21 am

Moments ago, I had a thought that definitely freaked me out.

Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?

A post made days ago mentioned brain surgeries done to curtail mental illness but it suddenly occurred to me that the brain may only be a sensory processor, rather than the actual thought processing headquarters. If that is true, then “brain damage” may cause: A) sensory input to be negligible or non-existent B)sensory output to be negligible or non-existent or C) both A and B.

However, thought processes are alive and well in and of themselves, housed in the mind(soul), so still occurring but unable to add new information, communicate, or both.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Ecmandu » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 am

So here’s the deal.

We’re Homo sapiens...

All kinds of shit can be done to us.

More importantly, we’re all spirits.

Eventually, your spirit will have to come to terms with all the other spirits.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12171
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:28 am

Ecmandu wrote:So here’s the deal.

We’re Homo sapiens...

All kinds of shit can be done to us.

More importantly, we’re all spirits.

Eventually, your spirit will have to come to terms with all the other spirits.

You say spirit, I say soul. Are they the same thing if I consider that my soul has no need of this Homo sapien body to think?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby promethean75 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:32 am

promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Ecmandu » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:33 am

WendyDarling wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:So here’s the deal.

We’re Homo sapiens...

All kinds of shit can be done to us.

More importantly, we’re all spirits.

Eventually, your spirit will have to come to terms with all the other spirits.

You say spirit, I say soul. Are they the same thing if I consider that my soul has no need of this Homo sapien body to think?


Soul is generally used in the immortal sense, but spirit is basically a synonym. Potato potAto.

The important thing is to understand the vastness of accountability for what we do here.

Our souls all know each other. We know our angles, we know what we stand for and we can all see us squirming the spirit realm to get our earthly needs met.

This is all transparent in that dimension.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12171
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 am

promethean75 wrote:https://youtu.be/0yv_k5uMCpU

No explainy linky, no clicky hicky.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am

If someone here was pressed to demonstrate where, say, experientially and experimentally, the brain ends and the mind begins, where the mind ends and the soul begins, how would they go about it?

Let's try this...

The next time someone reading this finds them self in a situation where they are struggling to decide what is the right thing to do, or a situation in which another challenges their own behavior, let them come here and, to the best of their ability, attempt to make their own distinction between the brain, the mind and the soul.

Something more than just sheer speculation that never actually comes into contact with the lives they live.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 42223
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:57 am

iambiguous wrote:If someone here was pressed to demonstrate where, say, experientially and experimentally, the brain ends and the mind begins, where the mind ends and the soul begins, how would they go about it?

Let's try this...

The next time someone reading this finds them self in a situation where they are struggling to decide what is the right thing to do, or a situation in which another challenges their own behavior, let them come here and, to the best of their ability, attempt to make their own distinction between the brain, the mind and the soul.

Something more than just sheer speculation that never actually comes into contact with the lives they live.

Why do you speculate that there are three aspects: brain, mind, and soul?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:38 am

WendyDarling wrote:
iambiguous wrote:If someone here was pressed to demonstrate where, say, experientially and experimentally, the brain ends and the mind begins, where the mind ends and the soul begins, how would they go about it?

Let's try this...

The next time someone reading this finds them self in a situation where they are struggling to decide what is the right thing to do, or a situation in which another challenges their own behavior, let them come here and, to the best of their ability, attempt to make their own distinction between the brain, the mind and the soul.

Something more than just sheer speculation that never actually comes into contact with the lives they live.

Why do you speculate that there are three aspects: brain, mind, and soul?


Probably this:

WendyDarling wrote:
Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 42223
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:01 am

It is my conviction that the mind is a functional output of anomalous input from an undifferentiated brain-mind.

That is the sense, the 'daya' of which constructs and deconstructs & reconstructs various patterns on various levels; some of which cohere to make sense- again on various levels, create appearent distinctions ( between brain and mind)

Sometimes such sensations can be interpreted and create sensible inputs, to again reconstruct into other sensed data.

That goes against current understanding between the data and it's sensible component
Meno_
breathless
 
Posts: 9247
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:50 pm

iambiguous wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:
iambiguous wrote:If someone here was pressed to demonstrate where, say, experientially and experimentally, the brain ends and the mind begins, where the mind ends and the soul begins, how would they go about it?

Let's try this...

The next time someone reading this finds them self in a situation where they are struggling to decide what is the right thing to do, or a situation in which another challenges their own behavior, let them come here and, to the best of their ability, attempt to make their own distinction between the brain, the mind and the soul.

Something more than just sheer speculation that never actually comes into contact with the lives they live.

Why do you speculate that there are three aspects: brain, mind, and soul?


Probably this:

WendyDarling wrote:
Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?

Ah, I was showing that the mind and soul are synonymous for me. Mind/soul. Is that better?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby felix dakat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Moments ago, I had a thought that definitely freaked me out.

Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?

A post made days ago mentioned brain surgeries done to curtail mental illness but it suddenly occurred to me that the brain may only be a sensory processor, rather than the actual thought processing headquarters. If that is true, then “brain damage” may cause: A) sensory input to be negligible or non-existent B)sensory output to be negligible or non-existent or C) both A and B.

However, thought processes are alive and well in and of themselves, housed in the mind(soul), so still occurring but unable to add new information, communicate, or both.


Mind refers to the subject of direct experience. The brain is the organ which produces that experience. Neuroscientists now tell us that what we were traditionally taught was brain function really involves the entire nervous system. So what we've been calling brain --what we think with-- is not just in our head. It runs through our entire body.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 9445
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:44 pm

So the occurrences and understanding of Alzheimers threw me for a loop, like how could a mind/soul be affected by the physical bodies aging process if they, the human body with its brain and the soul with its mind are two separate entities?

Could a memory wipe(which happens before each lifetime, but in a different dimension)begin happening before the person’s physical body dies in this dimension?

I’m considering this due to a documentary featuring children who remembered their past lives and were tested by an interviewer who showed the kids several series of photographs with only one being the true image of their past life, the children were able to correctly choose every image pertaining to their memories of their past life out of multiple unrelated but similar images. Only I am rationalizing my developing theory backwards at this point in cases where the memory wipe either did not occur or occurred only partially.

Is dementia the beginning of a memory wipe occurring before a person crosses over to the next life?

In light of all this, all intelligence (IQ, EQ) may be a compilation on the continuum of the journey of the mind/soul, not exactly a current genetic inheritance or creative evolution of mass, but a creative evolution of a yet undiscovered energy, an intelligent energy.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby felix dakat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Can you post a link to the documentary?
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 9445
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Aventador » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:59 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Moments ago, I had a thought that definitely freaked me out.

Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?

A post made days ago mentioned brain surgeries done to curtail mental illness but it suddenly occurred to me that the brain may only be a sensory processor, rather than the actual thought processing headquarters. If that is true, then “brain damage” may cause: A) sensory input to be negligible or non-existent B)sensory output to be negligible or non-existent or C) both A and B.

However, thought processes are alive and well in and of themselves, housed in the mind(soul), so still occurring but unable to add new information, communicate, or both.


In any case, it is interesting to note that some brain damage in the neocortex has been known to cause radical personality changes, with no measurable changes in sensory input or output. A man that was previously mild and tame, for example, becomes aggressive and volatile after a construction nail penetrates a portion of his neocortex and is surgically removed.
Aventador
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 am

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Sculptor » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:10 pm

WendyDarling wrote:So the occurrences and understanding of Alzheimers threw me for a loop, like how could a mind/soul be affected by the physical bodies aging process if they, the human body with its brain and the soul with its mind are two separate entities?


When a person has Alzheimer's their family are literally witnessing the disappearance of the loved one. This is a potent demonstration that the "mind" is what the brain does. It is the activity of the brain. They are not separate things.

This demonstration is supported by many other examples of brain damages and injuries, in which the subject can permanently loose faculty. There is one particular area of the brain which, if damaged means that the subject can see faces but is not capable of recognising anyone - not even their close family, yet their eyesight is completely undamaged. When faced with images of Hitler and their own father they are unable to choose between the two.

There are many interesting cases where damage can change a personality, but perhaps the most famous is that of Phineas Gage, a rail worker who had a steel shaft enter his brain. He survived, and had capacity but he was somehow a different person. Sadly the personality changes that he did have were to be exaggerated by the media, so we are not able to gain much direct evidence. But there is no doubt that losing part of the brain can have staggering consequences.
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Sculptor » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:14 pm

promethean75 wrote:https://youtu.be/0yv_k5uMCpU


Hacker is a good story teller but he aint no biologist, just a humble philosopher.
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Sculptor » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:14 pm

promethean75 wrote:https://youtu.be/0yv_k5uMCpU


Hacker is a good story teller but he aint no biologist, just a humble philosopher.

I managed to suffer 13 minutes. Nonething he said reached away from the idea that the brain and the mind are clearly identified.
How can he reject qualia as fantasies?
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:51 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Why do you speculate that there are three aspects: brain, mind, and soul?


Probably this:

WendyDarling wrote:
Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?


WendyDarling wrote:Ah, I was showing that the mind and soul are synonymous for me. Mind/soul. Is that better?


Actually, what interests me far more about discussions of this sort, is not what we believe about something intellectually/spiritually "in our head" but how, existentially, we came to believe it given the life that we have lived. While others, living very different lives, believe something else instead.

This and the part where [even to ourselves] we make the attempt to demonstrate "experientially/experimentally" why we believe what we do.

Then going here:

The next time someone reading this is in a situation where they are struggling to decide what is the right thing to do, or a situation in which another challenges their own behavior, let them come here and, to the best of their ability, attempt to make their own distinction between the brain, the mind and the soul.


On other threads, regarding other things, I have attempted to persuade you to go there.

Perhaps now...here?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 42223
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm

felix dakat wrote:Can you post a link to the documentary?

I’ll check if it’s still streaming on Hulu or Prime, I think it was on one of the major streaming platforms. If it was on Netflix, I don’t currently have access.

[Edit: May be the 4 part docu-series, The Ghost Inside My Child, on Amazon Prime. I watch a lot of docu-series and briefly rewatched a portion which I have seen and the subject matter is children remembering their past lives. I wish I had Netflix so I could make doubly certain, that what I recommended was the one where the researcher tests the kids with photographs.]
Last edited by WendyDarling on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby felix dakat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Okay. Thanks!
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 9445
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:04 pm

felix dakat wrote:Okay. Thanks!

Made a Edit on my last post.

[Another edit for felix: wrong series above. It’s got to be on Netflix. I may join just to find this docu-series.]
Last edited by WendyDarling on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Aventador wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Moments ago, I had a thought that definitely freaked me out.

Do we do our actual thinking in our brains or does it occur in the mind (soul)?

A post made days ago mentioned brain surgeries done to curtail mental illness but it suddenly occurred to me that the brain may only be a sensory processor, rather than the actual thought processing headquarters. If that is true, then “brain damage” may cause: A) sensory input to be negligible or non-existent B)sensory output to be negligible or non-existent or C) both A and B.

However, thought processes are alive and well in and of themselves, housed in the mind(soul), so still occurring but unable to add new information, communicate, or both.


In any case, it is interesting to note that some brain damage in the neocortex has been known to cause radical personality changes, with no measurable changes in sensory input or output. A man that was previously mild and tame, for example, becomes aggressive and volatile after a construction nail penetrates a portion of his neocortex and is surgically removed.

What if the brain is damaged in the way it interacts with the mind/soul? This change could result in the personality difference. In my earlier account of brain damage causing less input, less output I never considered damage done to the actual link between brain and mind/soul, I was only considering damage done to the “perceptions” of sensory input or motor function output of the brain itself but what if our perceptions(our emotional reactions)only take place in the mind/soul but if the connection between the two changes, the personality output changes by the change in input between brain and mind/soul due to the minds/souls new framing of the bodies’ perceptions.
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 am

felix dakat wrote:Can you post a link to the documentary?

Yaay, found it! Netflix, Surviving Death, episode 6 Reincarnation. Found the episode on YouTube but since I’m not a registered user, it wouldn’t let me copy link(on my phone unless I’m doing something wrong).
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 8877
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Brain vs Mind

Postby Aventador » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:00 am

You know, I have to tell you, I have seen two family members go through Alzheimer's and one go through dementia, and I never thought their 'personality' disappeared.
Aventador
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 am

Next

Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users