"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm

I'm gonna go take me a long walk in semi-nature right now.

I'm not depressed, but that shit gets addictive.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:35 pm

For Ierrelus - while you're in nature, make some runes.
It deepens the experience.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
The Wheel - The Tree
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:36 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I'm gonna go take me a long walk in semi-nature right now.

I'm not depressed, but that shit gets addictive.

On the mountain?

I was walking there all the time, so fucking happy, especially in the snow.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
The Wheel - The Tree
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 pm

My primary regret about my depression is the knowledge that we impose our moods on each other. I would send out joy and sunshine if I could. Maybe some day I can do that again. This, too, shall pass--regarding my down mood.
In any event the situation will have its time. After that, there's always hope.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:18 pm

Ierrellus:

That is a dellusion of the depressed mind. Being oversensitive to painful emotions, it projects them. In reality, none of us are affected by your mood.

We are rooting for you, those of us who have come to appreciate who you are. So maybe in that sense we are affected, like watching the hero in a movie.

But you don't owe us anything. In fact, you don't owe anyone anything. Fuck 'em. They got God's ear too if they want it.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:53 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Ierrellus:

That is a dellusion of the depressed mind. Being oversensitive to painful emotions, it projects them. In reality, none of us are affected by your mood.

We are rooting for you, those of us who have come to appreciate who you are. So maybe in that sense we are affected, like watching the hero in a movie.

But you don't owe us anything. In fact, you don't owe anyone anything. Fuck 'em. They got God's ear too if they want it.

Thanks for the kind words. They do help.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:21 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:Ierrellus:

Thanks for the kind words. They do help.

Yes, but de-pression is becoming and not a static imposition of other minds, except as an affected reactive correlate to the unnoticed ontological deconstructed phenomena around us.

The techno revolution; the hype surrounding it's parabolic acceleration, noticeably repeats the doubt which permeated the masses through and following the Enlightement.

The bottom line is a general belief that all such progressive compensation is a new and unique event in the history of the conscious Universe.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:06 am

Ierrellus wrote:My primary regret about my depression is the knowledge that we impose our moods on each other. I would send out joy and sunshine if I could. Maybe some day I can do that again. This, too, shall pass--regarding my down mood.

Sometimes we share joy and sunshine, and others benefit gratefully. Other times they share theirs with us, and we are thankful. The weather in my world can’t make up its mind, but I have some sunshine stored up in the not-yet that I draw from in turbulent seasons. Sending you some warmth, sunshine and playful birdsong from the infinite source.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:07 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:My primary regret about my depression is the knowledge that we impose our moods on each other. I would send out joy and sunshine if I could. Maybe some day I can do that again. This, too, shall pass--regarding my down mood.

Sometimes we share joy and sunshine, and others benefit gratefully. Other times they share theirs with us, and we are thankful. The weather in my world can’t make up its mind, but I have some sunshine stored up in the not-yet that I draw from in turbulent seasons. Sending you some warmth, sunshine and playful birdsong from the infinite source.

Thanks for the positive remarks. Fumigation of my apt is over and things are back where they were. Still the depression lingers as more snow makes it impossible for me to travel to see my case worker. Let's hope our groundhog was wrong.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:02 pm

There was a flock of birds on the tree outside my window yesterday. I don't know if they were running late for the trek South or if they were harbingers of Spring.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:30 pm

_
I’m surrounded by birds, which the cat seems to like.. for obvious reasons. :|

Quite a few species.. some of them on the brink of dying out, but thanks to the lockdowns enabling nature to rethrive, these birds now have leafy city habitats to dwell in and survive. Nature is truly good for fostering a positive mental health, that we can all do with. : )

Remember the Old Farts thread? :D
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:45 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
I’m surrounded by birds, which the cat seems to like.. for obvious reasons. :|

Quite a few species.. some of them on the brink of dying out, but thanks to the lockdowns enabling nature to rethrive, these birds now have leafy city habitats to dwell in and survive. Nature is truly good for fostering a positive mental health, that we can all do with. : )

Remember the Old Farts thread? :D

I don't remember the Old Farts Thread. Do you have a reference to it?
Yes, Nature does foster a positive mental health. I've had spells of positive feelings while at the ocean or in the mountains. Now that I'm old, I can't get to those places.
I had those feelings also in the forest with my Am. Native friends. These friends showed me that rocks and trees are also our relatives, are our family. What I get from Nature is a sense of belonging, which I do not often feel among strangers in the city.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:02 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Remember the Old Farts thread? :D

Yes, Nature does foster a positive mental health. I've had spells of positive feelings while at the ocean or in the mountains. Now that I'm old, I can't get to those places.
I had those feelings also in the forest with my Am. Native friends. These friends showed me that rocks and trees are also our relatives, are our family. What I get from Nature is a sense of belonging, which I do not often feel among strangers in the city.

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... =Old+farts

Reading it, may help your recollection of it..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:36 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Remember the Old Farts thread? :D

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... =Old+farts

Reading it, may help your recollection of it..

Thanks for the reference. I miss a lot of those who posted there--Tentative, Tab, Kriswest, et.al. I'll read more of it when I get some more time. The thread was in 2010. I was old then.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:08 am

Here is a simple exercise in self monitoring:

Core Affect is an aspect of subjective emotional experience. It is a neurophysiological state consciously accessible as simply feeling good or bad, energized or quiescent. At any point in time, a person can answer the question, how do you feel?

So monitor your core affect during the day. See if there are conditions that effect your mood.

So, for example, take something that I noticed just happened to me, you are feeling feeling positive during the day and then your mood drops to a negative one at sundown.

Maybe the fading light affected your mood. Consider if more light or other steps might improve your core affect.

What do you think? Helpful? Too obvious? Can the exercise be improved upon? Suggestions?
Last edited by felix dakat on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:43 am

felix dakat wrote:Here is a simple exercise in self monitoring:

Core Affect is an aspect of subjective emotional experience. It is a neurophysiological state consciously accessible as simply feeling good or bad, energized or quiescent. At any point in time, a person can answer the question, how do you feel?

So monitor your core affect during the day. See if there are conditions that effect your mood.

So, for example, take something that I noticed just happened to me, you are feeling feeling positive during the day and then your mood drops to a negative one at sundown.

Maybe the fading light affected your mood. Consider if more light or other steps might improve your core affect.

What do you think? Helpful? Too obvious? Can the doctor exercise be improved upon? Suggestions?

I think the exercise is good, especially if the prime symptom is an emotional destabilization, and there are numerous things you can do to affect the condition you're in. The use of light and colour is something that helps anybody, even without a mental issue.

I am one who has somatic symptoms that seem to rise when something seems stressful, although I can generally control it, except when it increases because of too many factors that I can't manage. Sometimes I am not sure where it comes from, because in my mind I am not aware of anything stressful.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:49 am

Bob wrote:
felix dakat wrote:Here is a simple exercise in self monitoring:

What do you think? Helpful? Too obvious? Can the exercise be improved upon? Suggestions?

I think the exercise is good, especially if the prime symptom is an emotional destabilization, and there are numerous things you can do to affect the condition you're in. The use of light and colour is something that helps anybody, even without a mental issue.

I am one who has somatic symptoms that seem to rise when something seems stressful, although I can generally control it, except when it increases because of too many factors that I can't manage. Sometimes I am not sure where it comes from, because in my mind I am not aware of anything stressful.

What I thought may be helpful is the simplicity of identifying one's core affect at any time. It's often difficult to label my emotions precisely. But I can readily say whether I feel positive or negative and note when my mood changes from one to the other.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:57 pm

My problem is ruminating over a pending situation. The situation is not going to change, so I have to try to challenge my attitude about it. I have to keep telling myself that in the here and now there is nothing I can do to alter a situation of there and then.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:58 pm

There is only one solution ; live within and without the situation
Yes but is that possible?

Yes.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:18 pm

_
Food that's good for mental health.. I would also add eggs, cheese, wine, tea, and fresh ground coffee to the list.. but I’d only reserve the caffeine, for breakfasts. Good healthy food, is a real mood-lifter.

- Salmon. While fish, in general, is a healthy choice, salmon is at the top of the list. ...
- Chicken. Chicken, like turkey, is a delicious lean-protein choice containing the amino acid tryptophan. ...
- Whole Grains. ...
- Avocados. ...
- Spinach. ...
- Yogurt. ...
- Nuts. ...
- Olive Oil. ...
- Tomatoes. ...
- Dark chocolate. ...

MagsJ

Postby felix dakat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:49 am

Ierrellus wrote:My problem is ruminating over a pending situation. The situation is not going to change, so I have to try to challenge my attitude about it. I have to keep telling myself that in the here and now there is nothing I can do to alter a situation of there and then.

The brain evolved to learn all too well from negative experiences, and it stores them in long-lasting neural structures. Consequently, the brain evolved a built-in negativity bias. While this bias emerged in harsh settings very different from our own, it continues to operate inside us today.

Our brain has a hair-trigger readiness to go negative to help you survive. Our brain is always on the lookout for potential dangers or losses.

Over the course of evolution, animals that were nervous, driven, and clinging were more likely to pass on their genes, and these inclinations are now woven into our DNA. Even when you feel relaxed and happy and connected, your brain keeps scanning for potential dangers, disappointments, and interpersonal issues. Consequently, in the back of your mind, there’s usually a subtle but noticeable sense of unease, dissatisfaction, and separation to motivate this vigilance.

Negative stimuli are perceived more rapidly and easily than positive stimuli. In general, the default setting of the brain is to overestimate threats, underestimate opportunities, and underestimate resources both for coping with threats and for fulfilling opportunities.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:17 am

MagsJ wrote:_
Food that's good for mental health.. I would also add eggs, cheese, wine, tea, and fresh ground coffee to the list.. but I’d only reserve the caffeine, for breakfasts. Good healthy food, is a real mood-lifter.

- Salmon. While fish, in general, is a healthy choice, salmon is at the top of the list. ...
- Chicken. Chicken, like turkey, is a delicious lean-protein choice containing the amino acid tryptophan. ...
- Whole Grains. ...
- Avocados. ...
- Spinach. ...
- Yogurt. ...
- Nuts. ...
- Olive Oil. ...
- Tomatoes. ...
- Dark chocolate. ...

nom nom nom

currently enjoying a farmhouse salad w chicken n bacon from Walmart lol

One of these days I’m gonna do something with some smoked salmon and cream cheese and dill something or other and stuff. On bagels. Toasted.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 am

Today i bought avocado oil.
I thought since avocado is one of the best foods on earth,
or so they say, then the oil must be pretty decent.
I'll use it to fry with.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:47 am

looooove avocados

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:55 am

They balance out salty meat ingredients.
So a taco has the meat aspect,
but it could really use some avocado.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology and Mind