"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:27 pm

Meno_ wrote:How would they treat a split opinion between multiple personality and_ or disassociate personality?

I once dated a lady with schizophrenia, which is why this thread started. Her experiences were real for her. Whatever meds she took solved the problem so long as she took them. Unfortunately, she was fonder of beer. Brain scans of schizophrenics show definite differences from those of persons who do not have the disease.
I also saw brain scans of bipolar individuals. In the manic state the brain was lit up like a Christmas tree. During depression, the brain was dark.
Brain imagining, however, does not reveal the social influences that come into play. What seems to be a realistic approach to therapy is brain imaging, meds, and cognitive therapy. The old talk therapy of Freud is not out of date.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:02 pm

Meno_ wrote:How would they treat a split opinion between multiple personality and_ or disassociate personality?

That's funny! What matters is what something is not what it is called. That said, I think you mean dissociative identity disorder the criteria for diagnosis of which includes:

The existence of two or more distinct identities (or “personality states”). The distinct identities are accompanied by changes in behavior, memory and thinking. The signs and symptoms may be observed by others or reported by the individual.

Ongoing gaps in memory about everyday events, personal information and/or past traumatic events.

The symptoms cause significant distress or problems in social, occupational or other areas of functioning.

The "alters" as the personalitiy states are called may be unaware of the primary personality (assuming there is one) or one another.

According to Jungian and Archetypal psychologists the archetypes of the collective unconscious are personalities. So, in a sense, we all have multiple personalites.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Meno_ » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 pm

felix dakat wrote:

That's funny! What matters is what something is not what it is called. That said, I think you mean dissociative identity disorder the criteria for diagnosis of which includes:

The existence of two or more distinct identities (or “personality states”). The distinct identities are accompanied by changes in behavior, memory and thinking. The signs and symptoms may be observed by others or reported by the individual.

Ongoing gaps in memory about everyday events, personal information and/or past traumatic events.

The symptoms cause significant distress or problems in social, occupational or other areas of functioning.

The "alters" as the personalitiy states are called may be unaware of the primary personality (assuming there is one) or one another.

According to Jungian and Archetypal psychologists the archetypes of the collective unconscious are personalities. So, in a sense, we all have multiple personalites.

In a sense ; get it. And those archetypes have been pretty well 'typed' in ancient drama, that set the stage for the birth of immortal tragedy, right?

So, that the world is all but a stage; comes as no surprise.
Right again?

Conclusion: yesterday's actors are today's politicians.

Which brings inanither interesting twittel ;

Or, a number of them: no wonder the simulated world uncovers the masks, that sanity affords them some comfort up and down the line.

The assurance of getting away; or, through it is determined by a fixation that only a platform or, an assured portfolio can guarantee,

Or; on fact; a man and a dream must become an island; as that archetype calls for it, verifying a proto transference.

That brings in the cyclic repetitive fix; of self assurance.

Therefore; multiple personality may guise under the cover of borderline insecurity- bringing to focus that either or supposed finality between the authentic and the sham.

Is it a play, or is it a put upon pie?

Neither? BOTH? EITHER/OR?

Or all of the above; A pragmatically utilized barrage tending toward chaos from clarity .
That is the fundament that prescribes dialogue with the source of it. Necessary precondition that typifies Elon.,(whoops) slipped-elan.

Yes, it is most probably not as divisive as a two sided blade could effect; but it is most likely part and parcel.

Most do not worry about it , for reasons You brought in, some worry; even those traditionally in a neutral position.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>><<<<<< ><><><

felix dakat says:

"The "alters" as the personalitiy states are called may be unaware of the primary personality (assuming there is one) or one another."

Stendhall says:

"One can acquire everything in solitude except character.” ..
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby felix dakat » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 am

Meno_ wrote:
In a sense ; get it. And those archetypes have been pretty well 'typed' in ancient drama, that set the stage for the birth of immortal tragedy, right?

Right again?

Or, a number of them: no wonder the simulated world uncovers the masks, that sanity affords them some comfort up and down the line.

The assurance of getting away; or, through it is determined by a fixation that only a platform or, an assured portfolio can guarantee,

Or; on fact; a man and a dream must become an island; as that archetype calls for it, verifying a proto transference.

Therefore; multiple personality may guise under the cover of borderline insecurity- bringing to focus that either or supposed finality between the authentic and the sham.

Or all of the above; A pragmatically utilized barrage tending toward chaos from clarity .
That is the fundament that prescribes dialogue with the source of it. Necessary precondition that typifies Elon.,(whoops) slipped-elan.

Yes, it is most probably not as divisive as a two sided blade could effect; but it is most likely part and parcel.

Most do not worry about it , for reasons You brought in, some worry; even those traditionally in a neutral position.

felix dakat says:

"The "alters" as the personalitiy states are called may be unaware of the primary personality (assuming there is one) or one another."

Stendhall says:

In a sense I do get it. In the psyche nothing is literal. Who is typing this? Who is reading it? The subject knows all that is known and is known by no one. Every mood has it's own personality.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:56 am

felix dakat wrote:
Meno_ wrote:

Right again?

felix dakat says:

Stendhall says:

In a sense I do get it. In the psyche nothing is literal. Who is typing this? Who is reading it? The subject knows all that is known and is known by no one. Every mood has it's own personality.

Yes and when no one really knows another one then it is that they can't recognize themselves as coming through from another third one containing both and even the one that's supposed to containe them.

This simple and apparently unassuming formula carries the weight of distinguishing roles which can relate to others whereas the kick of such distinction carries with it the danger of the type(of)casting- to put it mildly: and being entombed in a repeating one act that for example formulates around the drama: 6 characters in search of an author..

The author would , to carry the metaphor toward the limit, enter the play and become a relating character to the others; developing a new role that can only satisfies the others' demand to the source of their character.

On the least perceptible ground it becomes a poisonous search that meanders under the metaphor to find that which could include it's own inclusion within that it has included.

It twists and turns into it's self as as moebious: but is it as literal as math could describe it? Or is it configured on the least degradable level of logical consistency.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:45 pm

If you start with the assumption you are a sim, it implies a programmer, and you can explore what the sim/program says about the programmer.

If you start by trying to explain how someone lost touch with reality, while maintaining the sim hypothesis, you have a bad poker face.

One more reason no self-respecting person would do most interacting with others (they assume are actual people they know in real life) in a “Metaverse” - especially if “they” catfish to gain trust & extract that ever valuable info. Unless…
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:27 pm

“ If human nature is a composite of multiple psychic persons who reflect the persons in myths, then the experiencer is also a myth. He or she is not one but many, a flux of vicissitudes. A fixed recording center in their midst is the archetypal illusion of self identity.”

James Hillman ”Re-Visioning Psychology”, page 177
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:52 pm

felix dakat wrote:“ If human nature is a composite of multiple psychic persons who reflect the persons in myths, then the experiencer is also a myth. He or she is not one but many, a flux of vicissitudes. A fixed recording center in their midst is the archetypal illusion of self identity.”

lol. Just read Dr. Seuss to remedy that split. We are co-authors, co-experiencers, co-thinkers, co-inspectors— co- … there is a division, a distinctness.

“I do not like” therefore “I am not” Sam.

Much love.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:52 pm

felix dakat wrote:“ If human nature is a composite of multiple psychic persons who reflect the persons in myths, then the experiencer is also a myth. He or she is not one but many, a flux of vicissitudes. A fixed recording center in their midst is the archetypal illusion of self identity.”

William Blake wrote a number of "prophetic" books in which the characters are aspects of the human psyche.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:13 pm

Blake was one who turned the archetypal imagery of his soul into exquisite literary and visual art. That’s a healthy thing to do as much as one can.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Meno_ » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:24 pm

Blake had a sanctified vision ; his genius consisted in and with it.I would not want to elaborate here ; for obviously very few tyrn out to be up to par with him

But there certainly is a connection here to concern with,:

"He was not truly appreciated in his time. It was not until 1818 that he developed a few admirers: Romantic movement Blake inspired wrote after Blake’s death: “There was no doubt that this poor man was mad, but there is something in the madness of this man which interests me more than the sanity of Lord Byron and Walter Scott."
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:26 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:If you start with the assumption you are a sim, it implies a programmer, and you can explore what the sim/program says about the programmer.

If you start by trying to explain how someone lost touch with reality, while maintaining the sim hypothesis, you have a bad poker face.

One more reason no self-respecting person would do most interacting with others (they assume are actual people they know in real life) in a “Metaverse” - especially if “they” catfish to gain trust & extract that ever valuable info. Unless…

Indeed; read 'The Mask of Sanity" ; wish had more than skimmed notes about it.
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:39 am

That’s an oldie. Thought this was interesting to review:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-t ... psychopath

Can relate to some of it. Causes me to feel empathy.

Then there’s this:
https://youtu.be/DakEcY7Z5GU

I find it horrendous that they do fear learning research on psychopaths and traumatized women with dissociation. We’ve become like the Nazis.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:48 pm

_
Currently me.. and probably most of the Western World.. :|

:lol:

9B4F641C-4066-40B2-AFCD-B0CDE0E2191E.jpeg
9B4F641C-4066-40B2-AFCD-B0CDE0E2191E.jpeg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 251 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind