Evolutionary psychology

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:"I don't know what it is but other people do" is a way of jumping over the question.


Do you have any ability to post in good faith? If not, you are a troll.

Why should I spell out the causes of mutations? I gave you a link to educate yourself. Why should I repeat it in my own words?

But fine. Radiation causes mutations. Not visible light radiation, but radiation in other spectrums, causes mutations. Why do you think your dentist steps out of the room when he x-rays your teeth? Ordinary copying errors cause mutations. Viruses cause mutations. Chemicals cause mutations. Now what?

It was you who claimed that people “jump over” the causes of mutations but this is clearly false and I have demonstrated it be false. Are you utterly incapable of admitting error?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:28 pm

pood wrote:But fine. Radiation causes mutations. Not visible light radiation, but radiation in other spectrums, causes mutations.


Well, ok, this is a step in the right direction. Because he did specifically say light.

pood wrote:Why should I spell out the causes of mutations? I gave you a link to educate yourself. Why should I repeat it in my own words?


pood wrote:Do you have any ability to post in good faith? If not, you are a troll.


pood wrote:It was you who claimed that people “jump over” the causes of mutations but this is clearly false and I have demonstrated it be false. Are you utterly incapable of admitting error?


If you're angry about it, we can talk about it some other time.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:30 pm

I am not angry about anything. I am unable to understand why you can never admit error and can never seem to have a civil conversation.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Yes, he said light. Visible light is a small part of the light spectrum. It’s all light. If we had eyes as big as radio telescopes we could see radio light. Pigeons, bees, and many other animals see ultraviolet light which humans cannot see. What is your actual point? An ego-driven drive to one up others? Certain wavelengths of light are damaging to our DNA and cause copying errors.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:41 pm

You said not light, now you say light.

This is why specificity is important. But it makes you angry when I ask for it.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:45 pm

Calm down, stop talking about me, and start talking about evolution: why is variance in inherited traits important? And where do DNA mutations fit into that?
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:48 pm

If DNA mutations during transcription are secondary, maybe they are unimportant. If they are the central driver for evolution, then waving them off seems insane.

If they are random, maybe evolution is random. Are they random? Do you agree that establishing whether they are or not is important? If they are, are they the only thing reflecting evolutionary change?
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Good lord, you really must be a troll or an utter idiot.

I said, “not VISIBLE light radiation,” but radiation in OTHER SPECTRUMS. That is exactly what Sculptor was talking about. What is wrong with you?

I am not angry. I am exasperated. Again, are you not able to ever admit error or hold a civil conversation?

You claimed everyone “jumps over” the causes of mutations. I have demonstrated that this claim is false. In fact, this is elementary-school stuff. Did you go to school?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:50 pm

pood wrote:Good lord, you really must be a troll or an utter idiot.


pood wrote:I am not angry.


pood wrote:I am unable to understand why you can never admit error and can never seem to have a civil conversation.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:52 pm

pood wrote:Good lord, you really must be a troll or an utter idiot.

I said, “not VISIBLE light radiation,” but radiation in OTHER SPECTRUMS. That is exactly what Sculptor was talking about. What is wrong with you?

I am not angry. I am exasperated. Again, are you not able to ever admit error or hold a civil conversation?

You claimed everyone “jumps over” the causes of mutations. I have demonstrated that this claim is false. In fact, this is elementary-school stuff. Did you go to school?


Look, Sculptor or Silhouette or whatever he calls himself these days, didn't even know that RNA was not an originally separate molecule from DNA in human cells until I told him.

You say DNA mutations during transcription is elementary school stuff. Why can you not then actually talk about them?

I can assure you, it is most definitely not elementary school stuff.
Last edited by Pedro I Rengel on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Variance in inherited traits is important because these variants may be detrimental or advantageous to survival. Would you care to address my nylon-eating bacterial example? It’s a perfect illustration of the point.

Variants are the stuff of evolution. You are a variant of your mother and father. You are not a clone of either. Do you get this?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:54 pm

pood wrote:Variance in inherited traits is important because these variants may be detrimental or advantageous to survival.


Then you are not deriving Darwinian selection from information about variations in inherited traits, but looking for ways to fit variations in inherited traits into Darwinian selection.
Last edited by Pedro I Rengel on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
You say DNA mutations during transcription is elementary school stuff. Why can you not then actually talk about them?
.


But I HAVE talked about them.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm

You jumped over them.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:57 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
pood wrote:Variance in inherited traits is important because these variants may be detrimental or advantageous to survival.


Then you are not deriving Darwinian selection from information about variations in inherited traits, but looking for ways to fit variations in inherited traits into the theory.


I’ve no idea what this means. Variations occur. It turns out that some variations have a survival advantage and others don’t. The advantage is determined by the environment that the traits occur in. See: Nylon-eating bacteria.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:58 pm

pood wrote:I’ve no idea what this means.


That's because you are angry. Maybe if you calm down you can understand it.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:You jumped over them.


:lol:

OK, troll it is.

If you want to have an actual discussion, stop trolling.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
pood wrote:I’ve no idea what this means.


That's because you are angry. Maybe if you calm down you can understand it.


:lol:

There is nothing to understand. You are uneducated.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Staggering brilliance.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
pood wrote:Variance in inherited traits is important because these variants may be detrimental or advantageous to survival.


Then you are not deriving Darwinian selection from information about variations in inherited traits, but looking for ways to fit variations in inherited traits into Darwinian selection.


You can do it.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:01 pm

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

The fact that this place is no longer moderated, if it ever was, is why you get people who post like this guy. Is this really what the owners of the place want?
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 pm

You call me uneducated and I'm the troll?
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:04 pm

I'm out here talking about evolution.

You're out here kicking and screaming.

It's all "civil conversation" until someone says something you didn't agree with beforehand.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:05 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:
pood wrote:Variance in inherited traits is important because these variants may be detrimental or advantageous to survival.


Then you are not deriving Darwinian selection from information about variations in inherited traits, but looking for ways to fit variations in inherited traits into Darwinian selection.


You can do it.


I believe in you.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ
 
Posts: 13089
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Evolutionary psychology

Postby pood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:53 pm

Darwinian selection acts on variability in inherited traits. See my example of nylon-eating bacteria. It’s a classic case study in natural selection. I notice that you have ignored it.
pood
Thinker
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron