What is the meaning of man?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

What is the meaning of man?

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:40 am

Jeremy Griffith an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition wrote:

"Surely this idea that we have savage competitive and aggressive, must-reproduce-our-genes instincts cannot be the real reason for our species’ competitive and aggressive behaviour because, after all, words used to describe our human behaviour such as egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated, all recognise the involvement of OUR species’ fully conscious thinking mind. They demonstrate that there is a psychological dimension to our behaviour; that we don’t suffer from a genetic-opportunism-driven ‘animal condition’, but a conscious-mind-based, psychologically troubled HUMAN CONDITION".

 ‘We are living through deeply anxious days, and if we are to relieve our anxiety we must diagnose its cause…What is the meaning of man?

To this question no answer is being offered, and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known’ (A Sense of Life, pub. 1965, pp.127, 219 of 231)
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
User avatar
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Dan~ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known

If people used their actual potential,
the world would be a paradise.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11090
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: Canada Alberta

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Sculptor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:08 pm

MAN
It's a skin bag full of bones and offal, which stands on two legs and is a clear and present danger to all life on the planet.
If you see one do not hesitate to remove from the ecosystem.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Sculptor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Dan~ wrote:
A Shieldmaiden wrote:and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known

If people used their actual potential,
the world would be a paradise.


Sadly no. Humans have far more potential to destroy the world and each other. It is only laziness and selfishness which keeps them from total destruction.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Sculptor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:15 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Jeremy Griffith an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition wrote:

"Surely this idea that we have savage competitive and aggressive, must-reproduce-our-genes instincts cannot be the real reason for our species’ competitive and aggressive behaviour because, after all, words used to describe our human behaviour such as egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated, all recognise the involvement of OUR species’ fully conscious thinking mind. They demonstrate that there is a psychological dimension to our behaviour; that we don’t suffer from a genetic-opportunism-driven ‘animal condition’, but a conscious-mind-based, psychologically troubled HUMAN CONDITION".

 ‘We are living through deeply anxious days, and if we are to relieve our anxiety we must diagnose its cause…What is the meaning of man?

To this question no answer is being offered, and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known’ (A Sense of Life, pub. 1965, pp.127, 219 of 231)


Reflections upon the evolutionary process which led to the emergence of humans renders no "meaning" whatever.
Evolution is not a plan. It is not a force of nature, nor is it a cause of change.
Evolution is the EFFECT of change. What this means is that any and all species can preserve an innumerable set of traits and behaviours of any kind as long as they as a whole do not adversely and negatively affect their ability to produce viable progeny for the next generation. What man is, is what is left over from that process. Evolution is not prescriptive, it can be proscriptive of certain traits, bue generally is does not discriminate. What works, works.

Until we get to grips with our destiny as a species, rather than a set of individuals there can be no "meaning". And the only meanings we can have is those we choose to adopt.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Meno_ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:04 pm

Sculptor wrote:
A Shieldmaiden wrote:Jeremy Griffith an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition wrote:

"Surely this idea that we have savage competitive and aggressive, must-reproduce-our-genes instincts cannot be the real reason for our species’ competitive and aggressive behaviour because, after all, words used to describe our human behaviour such as egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated, all recognise the involvement of OUR species’ fully conscious thinking mind. They demonstrate that there is a psychological dimension to our behaviour; that we don’t suffer from a genetic-opportunism-driven ‘animal condition’, but a conscious-mind-based, psychologically troubled HUMAN CONDITION".

 ‘We are living through deeply anxious days, and if we are to relieve our anxiety we must diagnose its cause…What is the meaning of man?

To this question no answer is being offered, and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known’ (A Sense of Life, pub. 1965, pp.127, 219 of 231)


Reflections upon the evolutionary process which led to the emergence of humans renders no "meaning" whatever.
Evolution is not a plan. It is not a force of nature, nor is it a cause of change.
Evolution is the EFFECT of change. What this means is that any and all species can preserve an innumerable set of traits and behaviours of any kind as long as they as a whole do not adversely and negatively affect their ability to produce viable progeny for the next generation. What man is, is what is left over from that process. Evolution is not prescriptive, it can be proscriptive of certain traits, bue generally is does not discriminate. What works, works.

Until we get to grips with our destiny as a species, rather than a set of individuals there can be no "meaning". And the only meanings we can have is those we choose to adopt.



I beg to differ in part, Sculptor. There may not be overt meaning across the whole gamut of a socially prescribed realization of an effective and responsive change per evolution, but as evolution and change are reflexive and on the whole appear meaninglessly futile, as far as determening what causal factors can be abstracted typically, as gross causal factors, it may as well be that individuallay drawn lines over gross socially defined movements are primarily prescriptive.

The indetermination of scientific discovery appears as more meaningful at the moment, but, maybe this still is a prematurelay set condition. Within which to break from formerly held 'truths'
Meno_
The Invisible One
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:22 pm

I suspect the "meaning of man" becomes whatever is best able to comfort and console you. Rooted in dasein no doubt.

Just one more psychological defense mechanism, perhaps?

And often what makes the human condition a hellhole is that, down through the ages, men [and it is almost always men] have insisted that what they deem to be the "meaning of man", others had damn well better believe it to be as well. Then they acquire the actual power to enforce that frame of mind. History let's call it.

Some in the name of God, some in the name of something else.

Though, sure, the moral nihilists who own and operate the global economy in our own "postmodern world" have, with their "show me the money" cronies in the government, their own way of finding things meaningful.

So, don't forget to vote!
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46420
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Sculptor » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:16 pm

Meno_ wrote:
Sculptor wrote:
A Shieldmaiden wrote:Jeremy Griffith an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition wrote:

"Surely this idea that we have savage competitive and aggressive, must-reproduce-our-genes instincts cannot be the real reason for our species’ competitive and aggressive behaviour because, after all, words used to describe our human behaviour such as egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated, all recognise the involvement of OUR species’ fully conscious thinking mind. They demonstrate that there is a psychological dimension to our behaviour; that we don’t suffer from a genetic-opportunism-driven ‘animal condition’, but a conscious-mind-based, psychologically troubled HUMAN CONDITION".

 ‘We are living through deeply anxious days, and if we are to relieve our anxiety we must diagnose its cause…What is the meaning of man?

To this question no answer is being offered, and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known’ (A Sense of Life, pub. 1965, pp.127, 219 of 231)


Reflections upon the evolutionary process which led to the emergence of humans renders no "meaning" whatever.
Evolution is not a plan. It is not a force of nature, nor is it a cause of change.
Evolution is the EFFECT of change. What this means is that any and all species can preserve an innumerable set of traits and behaviours of any kind as long as they as a whole do not adversely and negatively affect their ability to produce viable progeny for the next generation. What man is, is what is left over from that process. Evolution is not prescriptive, it can be proscriptive of certain traits, bue generally is does not discriminate. What works, works.

Until we get to grips with our destiny as a species, rather than a set of individuals there can be no "meaning". And the only meanings we can have is those we choose to adopt.



I beg to differ in part, Sculptor. There may not be overt meaning across the whole gamut of a socially prescribed realization of an effective and responsive change per evolution, but as evolution and change are reflexive and on the whole appear meaninglessly futile, as far as determening what causal factors can be abstracted typically, as gross causal factors, it may as well be that individuallay drawn lines over gross socially defined movements are primarily prescriptive.

The indetermination of scientific discovery appears as more meaningful at the moment, but, maybe this still is a prematurelay set condition. Within which to break from formerly held 'truths'


In what way do you think this response is "begging to differ", exactly??
I'm not sure you are saying anything.
What you might be doing here is confusing somatic evolution wich social evolution; which require a completely different treatment, but you are not being clear.

Accordingly somatic evolution has produced a human which conforms to the hit list above; "egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated".
But we also conform to their converse. Humans are also "unselfish, gentle, uninspired, eleated, enlightened, optimistic, natural, loving, generous, healing, moral, dull, self assured, good, stable, and co-operative".
If fact there are few word that you can apply to humans that the converse does not also adequately also describe us.
What does all this "mean?" It means that evolution is only concerned with what works, and what works is what persists.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby Meno_ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:39 pm

S culptor says:



"quote="Sculptor"]
Meno_ wrote:
Sculptor wrote:
A Shieldmaiden wrote:Jeremy Griffith an Australian biologist who has dedicated his life to bringing fully accountable, biological understanding to the dilemma of the human condition wrote:

"Surely this idea that we have savage competitive and aggressive, must-reproduce-our-genes instincts cannot be the real reason for our species’ competitive and aggressive behaviour because, after all, words used to describe our human behaviour such as egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated, all recognise the involvement of OUR species’ fully conscious thinking mind. They demonstrate that there is a psychological dimension to our behaviour; that we don’t suffer from a genetic-opportunism-driven ‘animal condition’, but a conscious-mind-based, psychologically troubled HUMAN CONDITION".

 ‘We are living through deeply anxious days, and if we are to relieve our anxiety we must diagnose its cause…What is the meaning of man?

To this question no answer is being offered, and I have the feeling that we are moving toward the darkest era our world has ever known’ (A Sense of Life, pub. 1965, pp.127, 219 of 231)


Reflections upon the evolutionary process which led to the emergence of humans renders no "meaning" whatever.
Evolution is not a plan. It is not a force of nature, nor is it a cause of change.
Evolution is the EFFECT of change. What this means is that any and all species can preserve an innumerable set of traits and behaviours of any kind as long as they as a whole do not adversely and negatively affect their ability to produce viable progeny for the next generation. What man is, is what is left over from that process. Evolution is not prescriptive, it can be proscriptive of certain traits, bue generally is does not discriminate. What works, works.

Until we get to grips with our destiny as a species, rather than a set of individuals there can be no "meaning". And the only meanings we can have is those we choose to adopt.



I beg to differ in part, Sculptor. There may not be overt meaning across the whole gamut of a socially prescribed realization of an effective and responsive change per evolution, but as evolution and change are reflexive and on the whole appear meaninglessly futile, as far as determening what causal factors can be abstracted typically, as gross causal factors, it may as well be that individuallay drawn lines over gross socially defined movements are primarily prescriptive.

The indetermination of scientific discovery appears as more meaningful at the moment, but, maybe this still is a prematurelay set condition. Within which to break from formerly held 'truths'


In what way do you think this response is "begging to differ", exactly??
I'm not sure you are saying anything.
What you might be doing here is confusing somatic evolution wich social evolution; which require a completely different treatment, but you are not being clear.

Accordingly somatic evolution has produced a human which conforms to the hit list above; "egocentric, arrogant, inspired, depressed, deluded, pessimistic, optimistic, artificial, hateful, cynical, mean, sadistic, immoral, brilliant, guilt-ridden, evil, psychotic, neurotic and alienated".
But we also conform to their converse. Humans are also "unselfish, gentle, uninspired, eleated, enlightened, optimistic, natural, loving, generous, healing, moral, dull, self assured, good, stable, and co-operative".
If fact there are few word that you can apply to humans that the converse does not also adequately also describe us.
What does all this "mean?" It means that evolution is only concerned with what works, and what works is what persists.[/quote]me no says

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

meno says;






"Yes I agree with You in the part that does not try to clarify the conflated part with the deflated one between the societal-social with that which biggy describes oretaining with 'dasein'
(His general description)

As to which part prescribes meaning to relevance in terms of 'situational' ethics qua morality.
is a conflation of premises"



The cut off parts are ascribed by partially differentiated and unremarkableable content.


So somatic content is partially differentiated from
!asatic
Meno_
The Invisible One
 
Posts: 13292
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby promethean75 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 pm

promethean75
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm
Location: at the fringe with Novatore

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:17 pm

"How did humanity originate and why does a species like ours exist on this planet? Do we have a special place, even a destiny in the universe? Where are we going, and perhaps, the most difficult question of all, "Why?"

Pulitzer Prize–winning biologist Edward O. Wilson's view

In The Meaning of Human Existence, his most philosophical work to date, Pulitzer Prize–winning biologist Edward O. Wilson grapples with these and other existential questions, examining what makes human beings supremely different from all other species. Searching for meaning in what Nietzsche once called "the rainbow colors" around the outer edges of knowledge and imagination, Wilson takes his readers on a journey, in the process bridging science and philosophy to create a twenty-first-century treatise on human existence—from our earliest inception to a provocative look at what the future of mankind portends.
Continuing his groundbreaking examination of our "Anthropocene Epoch," which he began with The Social Conquest of Earth, described by the New York Times as "a sweeping account of the human rise to domination of the biosphere," here Wilson posits that we, as a species, now know enough about the universe and ourselves that we can begin to approach questions about our place in the cosmos and the meaning of intelligent life in a systematic, indeed, in a testable way.

Once criticized for a purely mechanistic view of human life and an overreliance on genetic predetermination, Wilson presents in The Meaning of Human Existence his most expansive and advanced theories on the sovereignty of human life, recognizing that, even though the human and the spider evolved similarly, the poet's sonnet is wholly different from the spider's web. Whether attempting to explicate "The Riddle of the Human Species," "Free Will," or "Religion"; warning of "The Collapse of Biodiversity"; or even creating a plausible "Portrait of E.T.,"

Wilson does indeed believe that humanity holds a special position in the known universe.

The human epoch that began in biological evolution and passed into pre-, then recorded, history is now more than ever before in our hands. Yet alarmed that we are about to abandon natural selection by redesigning biology and human nature as we wish them, Wilson soberly concludes that advances in science and technology bring us our greatest moral dilemma since God stayed the hand of Abraham".
Last edited by A Shieldmaiden on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
User avatar
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby promethean75 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:21 pm

promethean75
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm
Location: at the fringe with Novatore

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby obsrvr524 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:08 am

-
Rootcast wrote:Man
The Latin root word man means “hand.” This root word is the word origin of a number of English vocabulary words, including manuscript, manufacture, and manicure. An easy way to remember that man means “hand” is through the word manual, an adjective which describes a task done by “hand.”

I had to look that up because James claimed that "man" meant "hand" in Latin - and that didn't seem right - but turned out to be true and I had to know. Then to be The Man is to be the handler or manager or manipulator - The Government. And "human" means "hue-of-man" - turned out to be true as well - means to be a member of Man - member of the government of life on Earth (apparently first named "ADM" - "Adam" - "Ahdam" - and led to a long story now referred to as the Bible - the Book).

So -
    Man - the government of life on Earth
    Human - a member of the government of Man
In a democracy those are the same - but since we are erasing the idea of democracy so that we can all worship an global emperor - maybe it is important to remember what it all used to mean.

Of course that isn't exactly what the OP was asking - but it is more related than you might think.

To be Man - is to be one who pursues that manipulation power - the management of - everything - one who pursues the power to be God (which is apparently suicidal).

Or so it seems - can't argue with it - and it certainly explains the history of man - religions, customs, literature, constructions, wars....

You don't want to know what it actually means to be Woman - :lol:
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4238
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: What is the meaning of man?

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:22 am

"what it actually means to be Woman"

https://youtu.be/2mQSf4QOwxw
promethean75
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm
Location: at the fringe with Novatore


Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users