a thread for mundane ironists

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: a thread for mundane ironists

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Jack Nicholson

I envy people of faith. I'm incapable of believing in anything supernatural.

Let's figure out a way how to.

With my sunglasses on, I'm Jack Nicholson. Without them, I'm fat and 60.

Now he's fatter and 83.

When we make mistakes they call it evil. When God makes mistakes they call it Nature!

Yep, that's still going on.

I have never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth.

My guess: his own.

Even in the most sophisticated person, it is the primitive eye that watches the film.

And in the least sophisticated person?

I'm very contra my constituency in terms of abortion because I'm positively against it. I don't have the right to any other view. My only emotion is gratitude, literally, for my life.

On the other hand, when's the last time he was saddled with an unwanted pregnancy?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Elena Epaneshnik

Noticed how we forgot our obligatory annual whining about "Autumn anxiety" or "September blues"? That's because we've been experiencing all the symptoms since March.

Must be a Russian thing. Or, sure, a global pandemic.

My three main perceptions of my own tweets:
1. I could have written it better.
2. I shouldn't have written it at all.
3. I think I'm gonna hate myself for a couple of weeks which has nothing to do with my tweets.

On the other hand, she is drop dead gorgeous.

If you're not part of the problem, then there's something really wrong with you.

Yep, it's reached that point now.

If you're happy and you know it, keep it to yourself.

Oh, and if you're miserable too.

I miss going to museums and looking at people looking at art.

And they miss you missing them.

If you suddenly experience such conditions as diabetes, unusual rage, uncontrollable laughter, anaphylactic shock, coma and possibly death – all at the same time, then you're probably watching political debates.

Either that or town halls.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Charles Yu

For the past several years, I have gone to sleep every night in this same little pocket, the most uneventful piece of time I could find. Same exact thing every night, night after night. Total silence. Absolutely nothing. That's why I chose it. I know for a fact nothing bad can happen to me in here.

Don't ever underestimate this, okay?

I had forgotten: this is what it feels like to live in time. The lurching forward, the sensation of falling of a cliff into darkness, and then landing abruptly, surprised, confused, and then starting the whole process again in the next moment, doing that over and over again, falling into each instant of time and then climbing back up only to repeat the process.

Of course most times you hardly notice this at all.

Whatever the reason, first place was always Solo, always, always, always, and second place was usually Chewbacca, because if you weren't the one saving the galaxy, you might as well be eight feet tall and covered with hair.

Hey, race matters.

Existence doesn't have more meaning in one direction than it does in any other.

Let alone when it's going around and around in circles.

There is a sense in which I am pretty sure this makes no sense. I don't know where this is going. I don't know how it ends.

In death, dummy.

Desire is suffering. A simple equation, and a nice catchphrase. But flipped around, it is more troubling: suffering is desire.

How about it, a context maybe?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

Edward O. Wilson

Possibly here in the Holocene, or just before 10 or 20 thousand years ago, life hit a peak of diversity. Then we appeared. We are the great meteorite.

I knew it!

In modern industrialized countries, networks grew to a complexity that has proved bewildering to the Paleolithic mind we inherited. Our instincts still desire the tiny, united band-networks that prevailed during the hundreds of millennia preceding the dawn of history. Our instincts remain unprepared for civilization.

I knew it!

I don’t believe I can let this subject pass by leaving my own conflicted emotions unconfessed. When Carl Sagan won the Pulitzer Prize for nonfiction in 1978, I dismissed it as a minor achievement for a scientist, scarcely worth listing. When I won the same prize the following year, it wondrously became a major literary award of which scientists should take special note.

Go figure?

...innate censors and motivators exist in the brain that deeply and unconsciously affect our ethical premises; from these roots, morality evolved as instinct. If that perception is correct, science may soon be in a position to investigate the very origin and meaning of human values, from which all ethical pronouncements and much of political practice flow.

Nope, not yet.
Right?

The cost of scientific advance is the humbling recognition that reality was not constructed to be easily grasped by the human mind. This is the cardinal tenet of scientific understanding: Our species and its ways of thinking are a product of evolution, not the purpose of evolution.

Someone here run this by God.

Obviously no two creation stories can both be true. All of those invented by the many known thousands of religions and sects in fact have certainly been false. A great many educated citizens have realized that their own faiths are indeed false, or at least questionable in details. But they understand the rule attributed to the Roman stoic philosopher Seneca the Younger that religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

Set him straight, Ierrellus!

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Werner Twertzog

Dear America: Your center cannot hold. You should be two countries.

In other words, the Kids and the rest of us.

Genius is a myth. There is only hard work.

Nope, genius really is an actual thing.

People do not
Climb mountains
Because
"They are there."
They climb them
Because
Life is meaningless.

Not unlike getting out of bed in the morning.

No, the candy man cannot, as we all know.

My guess: some can, some can't.

Dear America: I was a fatherless boy in the ruins of Germany, and I remember when your flag was not a global symbol of hatred.

Let alone stupidity.

I declare a 50-year moratorium on “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

That and "Wayne's World".
Still, one last time: https://youtu.be/thyJOnasHVE

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:11 pm

Jean Cocteau

The eyes of the dead are closed gently; we also have to open gently the eyes of the living.

Let's change it and go the other way.

Not only should you not accept a prize. You should not try to deserve one either.

What's that leave in then?

Tact in audacity is knowing how far you can go without going too far.

Hmm. What might that be like here?

Do as the beautiful woman: see to your figure and your petticoats. Though, of course, I am not speaking literally.

Okay, what does he mean then?

I've always preferred mythology to history. History is truth that becomes an illusion. Mythology is an illusion that becomes reality.

You know, when you can tell them apart.

Since these mysteries exceed my grasp, I shall pretend to have organized them.

Playing God for example.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

V.E. Schwab

I'm not going to die, she said. Not till I've seen it.
Seen what?
Her smile widened. Everything.

You know, that might not even be possible.

I apologize for anything I might have done. I was not myself.
I apologize for shooting you in the leg, said Lila. I was myself entirely.

It can work both ways.

But these words people threw around - humans, monsters, heroes, villains - to Victor it was all just a matter of semantics. Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.

Didn't I tell you?

She bent most of the rules. She broke the rest.

Well, you know what they say about rules.

Scars are not shameful, not unless you let them be. If you do not wear them, they will wear you.

I'm still ambivalent about mine.

You know so little of war. Battles may be fought from the outside in, but wars are won from the inside out.

And not just between nations.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Existential Comics

I dont care what you do with my body after I die, just please, overthrow capitalism.

On the other hand, how about right now?

It's always "run the government like a business" until huge corporations need a bailout, and then the government is suddenly happy to give them the cash without doing what every business does in that scenario: takes over ownership of the bankrupt company.

Yeah, but only if they are too big to fail.

The biggest mistake the Bolsheviks made was sending Ayn Rand to University and letting her read Nietzsche.

Let's confirm this.

One has to wonder why the United States government is so much more prepared to quickly mobilize to crush a protest than to fight wildfires.

Well, it must be in the Constitution somewhere.

The free market pays people based on how much value they contribute, which is why nurses, grocery store workers, farmers, and other essential workers have all gotten around a $0 raise during the pandemic, and the richest people on earth who own everything have gained billions.

Yo, Wall Street!

...what i don't understand is if Sisyphus hated his job so much, why didn't he just learn to code??

Or flip hamburgers.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 pm

I. F. Stone

The only kinds of fights worth fighting are those you’re going to lose, because somebody has to fight them and lose and lose and lose until someday, somebody who believes as you do wins.

Boy, does that take me back.

All governments are run by liars and nothing they say should be believed.

Okay, but there is still the level that Trump takes it to.

If you expect to see the final results of your work, you simply have not asked a big enough question.

You know the one.

Rich people march on Washington every day.

They've even got their own street for it. It starts with a K.

When war comes, reason is regarded as treason.

But only the wrong reasons of course.

The fault I find with most American newspapers is not the absence of dissent. it is the absence of news...Their main concern is advertising.

And the New York Times is only sort of an exception.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat