People you miss

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: People you miss

Postby iambiguous » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Fixed Cross wrote: That would be the royal 'we', right? :wink:

The royal "we"?

In this context!

Light travels at approximately 186,000 miles a second. That is about 6,000,000,000,000 miles a year.

The closest star to us is Alpha Centauri. It is 4.75 light-years away. 28,500,000,000,000 miles.

So, traveling at 186,000 miles a second, it would take us 4.75 years to reach it. The voyager spacecraft [just now exiting our solar system] will take 70,000 years to reach it.

To reach the center of the Milky Way galaxy it would take 100,000 light-years.

Or consider this:

"To get to the closest galaxy to ours, the Canis Major Dwarf, at Voyager's speed, it would take approximately 749,000,000 years to travel the distance of 25,000 light years! If we could travel at the speed of light, it would still take 25,000 years!"
The Andromeda galaxy is 2.537 million light years away.

Or this:

"The universe is about 13.7 billion years old. Light reaching us from the earliest known galaxies has been traveling, therefore, for more than 13 billion years. So one might assume that the radius of the universe is 13.7 billion light-years and that the whole shebang is double that, or 27.4 billion light-years wide."

For all practical purposes, it is beyond the imagination of mere mortals here on planet Earth to grasp just how staggeringly immense the universe is.

As for situating "the royal we" in all of this...? =D>

Fixed Cross wrote:I trust youve been well dear lad.

Nope. At least not since James Randi died.

On the other hand, astrologers around the globe no doubt predicted it. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:36 pm

I did not know that man. My condolences though.
The strong act as they may, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
Before the Light - Philosophy 77 - Some Haydn - The Magickal Tree of Life Academy
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby MagsJ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:40 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Fixed Cross wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Fixed Cross, where you at bro?

Hope you’re safe and sound, even though you called my mind slow.. but slow regarding what?

Hey MagsJ
Thanks Ive been very well.

There are very few people whom I dont consider to have a slow mind, compared to my own. I cant lie. I dont remember in which context I said it. I dont think your mind is slow in comparison to the rest of the human species, at all.

We'll need a context of course. :lol:

Lol.. the context lies somewhere, in another thread.. :lol:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:54 pm

trevor

lizbethrose
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Meno_ » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 pm

Stuart

Typist
Meno_
breathless

Postby Kathrina » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:26 am

Arminius,
James,
Alf,
Moreno.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 am

Fixed Cross wrote:Xunzian, Impenitent, Dunamis, Farsight, mr R, Pandora, Gobbo, Jayson, Abstract, that Rastafarian styled psychedelic guy who was smart, abhi-pratapta, Anita, Three Times Great, statiktech, a bunch of other people, Weary Locomotive.

this.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.

Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr J » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:09 pm

I miss the people and time before the internet or social media existed. I miss the period of time when people weren't always looking at their cellphones or touch screens. The last twenty something years has been nothing short of a disaster for all of humanity.
Mr J
Special Commisar Joker

Location: The People's Republic of the U.S.S.A - My pronouns are 'Fuck You'-

Postby Great Again » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Mr J wrote:I miss the people and time before the internet or social media existed.

Can you really remember the time before the internet?

Mr J wrote:I miss the period of time when people weren't always looking at their cellphones or touch screens. The last twenty something years has been nothing short of a disaster for all of humanity.

I agree with this. =D>

They constantly run into street poles with their cell phones. In their heads, they are actually already machine humans, autistic cyborgs: https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 0#p2804854 .
Great Again

Postby Meno_ » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:50 pm

Well yea, but remember the time when one had to run to an unregulated pay phone and loose am outragious amount of change without being able to connect, even in an emergency ?

The good old days are 99% nostalgia and one percent perspiration.
Meno_
breathless

Postby Great Again » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 am

Meno_ wrote:Well yea, but remember the time when one had to run to an unregulated pay phone and loose am outragious amount of change without being able to connect, even in an emergency ?

The good old days are 99% nostalgia and one percent perspiration.

In my home country there was never an "unregulated pay phone", but always regulated phones and regulated pay phones. In the last decades before the internet, hardly anyone had to walk to the pay phone. Well, the thing with the small change is true. But it was worth it to me. You could regulate that very well.

Think about the many sick brains of today, whose owners walk around like autistic cyborgs. In comparison, I prefer to be nostalgic and very happy. I am very happy. Do you think that the young startled chickens are happy too? Really?
Great Again

Postby Kathrina » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:59 am

Kathrina wrote:Arminius,
James,
Alf,
Moreno.

I forgot about the female side:

Kriswest,
Pandora,
Arcturus Descending.
Kathrina

Postby Kathrina » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:22 am

ILP has changed a lot since I went on my well deserved break ("vacation") on December 27 2017 after my then last post. The majority is now with the morons, retards, trolls. On top of that, moderation is almost non-existent.

*Sigh*.
Kathrina

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:00 am

Kathrina, I miss you. :(

Otto

Postby Kathrina » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:47 am

I haven't been away for long.

You must have been on the MOON too long again. Huh?

16.jpg
16.jpg (19.41 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Kathrina

Postby Otto » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 am

Good that you reminded me. Thank you, Kathrina.

This time I have been on the dark side of the Moon.

Otto

Postby Phaedrus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 am

In addition to those already named I miss Uccisore, PavlovianModel146, Carleas, Tab, Future Man, Thirst4Metal, Xunzian, yopele and Dr. Satanical, along with the old cast of characters from the early days.

EDIT: Ooops, guess Carleas is still here? :oops:
Last edited by Phaedrus on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

If your abilities are merely mediocre, modesty is mere honesty; but if you possess great talents, it is hypocrisy- Schopenhauer

Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you, has shaken me- Nietzsche

I drank what? :o - Socrates
Phaedrus
Stoned and Dethroned

Postby Phaedrus » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 am

And Drift.

If your abilities are merely mediocre, modesty is mere honesty; but if you possess great talents, it is hypocrisy- Schopenhauer

Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you, has shaken me- Nietzsche

I drank what? :o - Socrates
Phaedrus
Stoned and Dethroned

Postby MagsJ » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 am

Otto wrote:Kathrina, I miss you. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbAdv-rzM4

..so cute. :romance-admire:

Go get a room! =;

:lol:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:51 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Fixed Cross, where you at bro?

Hope you’re safe and sound, even though you called my mind slow.. but slow regarding what?

Hey MagsJ
Thanks Ive been very well.

There are very few people whom I dont consider to have a slow mind, compared to my own. I cant lie. I dont remember in which context I said it. I dont think your mind is slow in comparison to the rest of the human species, at all.

When it pays to not be fast..

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:47 am

Arcturus descending
Meno_
breathless

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:16 am

Meno_ wrote:Arcturus descending

I’ve seen Arc around, posting, every-so-often, but I don’t know why she doesn’t engage much with anyone here anymore.

Why not drop her a DM/slide into her DMs.. :D
MagsJ

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 am

Kriswest
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Kriswest

I saw Kriswest post on here, some time late last year.

Why not drop her a DM/slide into her DMs.. ;)
MagsJ

Previous

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat