Olympic Games

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 am

I thought such a display of talent and dedication deserved some kind of acknowledgement. The world's best have gathered. Worth a mention.
Anything catches your eye, please, feel free to share.
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 pm

derleydoo wrote:I thought such a display of talent and dedication deserved some kind of acknowledgement. The world's best have gathered. Worth a mention.
Anything catches your eye, please, feel free to share.


K: usually, I am glued to the TV for them, but because of my work schedule,
I am unable to watch any of it....I haven't seen one minute of it actually...

ok, I will go watch one minute of something to at least say, I am watching
the "worlds' best"...... thanks for reminding us Derely....

Kropotkin
PK IS EVIL.....
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9953
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 pm

_
I turn on the TV.. I go to the BBC.. I watch whatever sport/s happens to be on.

Olympics 2020.. the Olympics of memes and feelings? :shock:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:02 am

I have just watched a number of women swim 10,000 metres, in horribly murky water. The winning time was 1 hour 59 minutes and 30 seconds. Two hours - nonstop! Water temperature was 30 degrees. Air temperature was also 30 degrees. :o

I once swam an entire length of my local swimming pool - without resting. I don't offer this information as a boast. It is merely to demonstrate that I am one of the very few who can fully appreciate the effort involved.

Congratulations to all. Phenomenal achievement. Olympics.
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:29 pm

The GB women's field hockey team have been soundly beaten by the Netherlands, 5-1, in the semi-final. They might still get the bronze, though.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:02 am

derleydoo wrote:I have just watched a number of women swim 10,000 metres, in horribly murky water. The winning time was 1 hour 59 minutes and 30 seconds.


Men's 10k winner: 1 hour 48 minutes and 33 seconds.
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Only three days left... and then the white supremacists can come out from behind the sofa!
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Maia wrote:The GB women's field hockey team have been soundly beaten by the Netherlands, 5-1, in the semi-final. They might still get the bronze, though.


And they did, indeed, get the bronze, beating India 4-3.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Maia wrote:
Maia wrote:The GB women's field hockey team have been soundly beaten by the Netherlands, 5-1, in the semi-final. They might still get the bronze, though.


And they did, indeed, get the bronze, beating India 4-3.


Maia, you need to be pretty damned brave to play hockey! I was sitting in a hospital waiting room some years ago - a woman came in, blood-spattered, with the side of her face caved in! Hockey injury. I've no doubt that shins must take quite a bashing during the course of a game - particularly at corners!

Well done, GB - they were extremely pleased. Athletes, and various competitors often look disappointed with silver or bronze. In time, they surely must realise that 2nd/3rd best on the planet is an extraordinary achievement!
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:50 am

derleydoo wrote:I thought such a display of talent and dedication deserved some kind of acknowledgement.


I don't care about unknown people (that's what famous people are) and their talents and achievements. Playing sports is fun. Watching other people do so -- not so much. So when I do, and I want to get the most pleasure out of it, I have to imagine myself participating.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5280
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:21 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:
derleydoo wrote:I thought such a display of talent and dedication deserved some kind of acknowledgement.


I don't care about unknown people (that's what famous people are) and their talents and achievements. Playing sports is fun. Watching other people do so -- not so much. So when I do, and I want to get the most pleasure out of it, I have to imagine myself participating.


I believe it has much to do with levels of consciousness. Many people care passionately about "unknown people".

Sport, as you say, is fun. It can be every bit as enjoyable as an observer. Regarding "participation," I would suggest that it has much to do with one's own past experiences. Some folk have the capacity to watch a competitor and feel/identify with precisely what that person is going through, be it joy, pain, disappointment... :D and even happiness!
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:34 am

derleydoo wrote:
Maia wrote:
Maia wrote:The GB women's field hockey team have been soundly beaten by the Netherlands, 5-1, in the semi-final. They might still get the bronze, though.


And they did, indeed, get the bronze, beating India 4-3.


Maia, you need to be pretty damned brave to play hockey! I was sitting in a hospital waiting room some years ago - a woman came in, blood-spattered, with the side of her face caved in! Hockey injury. I've no doubt that shins must take quite a bashing during the course of a game - particularly at corners!

Well done, GB - they were extremely pleased. Athletes, and various competitors often look disappointed with silver or bronze. In time, they surely must realise that 2nd/3rd best on the planet is an extraordinary achievement!


Yes, legs, arms, hands, faces, anything exposed was in for a good battering. I loved hockey at school, definitely my favourite game!
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:12 pm

_
A very well-aired edition of the Olympics.. well-edited offshoot shows too.

I think I’ve caught a bit of everything.. will definitely be tuning in, to the rest.

Yes Maia, hockey is pretty lethal.. I preferred ice-hockey.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:34 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
A very well-aired edition of the Olympics.. well-edited offshoot shows too.

I think I’ve caught a bit of everything.. will definitely be tuning in, to the rest.

Yes Maia, hockey is pretty lethal.. I preferred ice-hockey.


We didn't have the chance to play ice hockey, sadly. Would have been interesting to give it a go.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:47 pm

That's the end of that... Thanks to all who participated in the thread - and the games!

See you again in four years. :-k
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:57 pm

derleydoo wrote:That's the end of that... Thanks to all who participated in the thread - and the games!

See you again in four years. :-k

Three..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby derleydoo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:13 pm

MagsJ wrote:
derleydoo wrote:That's the end of that... Thanks to all who participated in the thread - and the games!

See you again in four years. :-k

Three..


"and the games" :-k

Sorry, MagsJ, I fully expected someone who hadn't participated to pull me up! :)
User avatar
derleydoo
Thinker
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:17 pm

derleydoo wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
derleydoo wrote:That's the end of that... Thanks to all who participated in the thread - and the games!

See you again in four years. :-k
Three..
"and the games" :-k

Three.. it’s three, not four, years.. UEFA Euro 2020, Olympics 2020, [insert sporting event name, here] 2020. :lol:

Sorry, MagsJ, I fully expected someone who hadn't participated to pull me up! :)

I guess the Sporting industry didn’t want to ruin the pattern of interval, of all previous event dates.. a systemic formality of administerial consequence.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:13 pm

_
Maia said: “We didn't have the chance to play ice hockey, sadly. Would have been interesting to give it a go”.

It was just as lethal as field hockey, but at least you get to wear shin pads to protect your shins, lol.

The getting to skate around part made it more fun, especially for the more adept skaters who could weave in and out amongst the opposition players, and so out-manoeuvre them all the way to the goal net.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:56 am

MagsJ wrote:_
Maia said: “We didn't have the chance to play ice hockey, sadly. Would have been interesting to give it a go”.

It was just as lethal as field hockey, but at least you get to wear shin pads to protect your shins, lol.

The getting to skate around part made it more fun, especially for the more adept skaters who could weave in and out amongst the opposition players, and so out-manoeuvre them all the way to the goal net.


Skating is indeed good fun. What sort of kit do you have to wear for ice hockey?
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:15 pm

_
@Maia: when playing ice-hockey at Borough level, the kit is the standard white Aertex polo-shirt and grey PE skirt.. to go with the mandatory shin pads and Ice-skates. :lol:

Now that’s one sport I do miss playing.. :-?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:46 am

MagsJ wrote:_
@Maia: when playing ice-hockey at Borough level, the kit is the standard white Aertex polo-shirt and grey PE skirt.. to go with the mandatory shin pads and Ice-skates. :lol:

Now that’s one sport I do miss playing.. :-?


That's quite a surprise actually, as I was under the impression that ice hockey players wore something akin to full body armour! Perhaps not so much at school.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:23 am

_
@Maia: Yea, there’s no need for padding-up at school-level competition.. tho there is still the usual tripping each other up with hockey sticks and other such dirty tactics lol, but good skaters can avoid all that by using their ‘good skater’ skills. Only the goalie wears padding, helmet, and gloves.. for obvious reasons.

Have you managed to stick to your morning workout routine? I think that mixing-it-up is the key to consistency, so adding jump-squats, planks and resistance bands, to add a new and constantly-changing dimension to the endeavour.. I’ve found it more appealing and less daunting when thinking of the next workout, and you get to hurt in new and interesting places, haha!
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Olympic Games

Postby Maia » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:12 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
@Maia: Yea, there’s no need for padding-up at school-level competition.. tho there is still the usual tripping each other up with hockey sticks and other such dirty tactics lol, but good skaters can avoid all that by using their ‘good skater’ skills. Only the goalie wears padding, helmet, and gloves.. for obvious reasons.

Have you managed to stick to your morning workout routine? I think that mixing-it-up is the key to consistency, so adding jump-squats, planks and resistance bands, to add a new and constantly-changing dimension to the endeavour.. I’ve found it more appealing and less daunting when thinking of the next workout, and you get to hurt in new and interesting places, haha!


I've managed to stick to my morning exercise regime for three and a half years now, which I'm pretty happy about. It's basically squats, but I also include runic yoga, which involves taking the shape of individual runes with one's own body, spelling out words or phrases. It's quite good fun, and stretches you in all sorts of different and unusual ways.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Olympic Games

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:13 pm

_
Runic yoga? sounds interesting and fun.. a winning combination for continuity-of-habit, for that which is routine exercise. I recently bought a yoga wheel to aid me in stretching more fully.. it turned out to be a very good buy.

Well I’ve got a workout to do.. it’s been 3 weeks since my last.. I need the muscle-hypertrophy and endorphin fix, grin.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 22657
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users