Snow!

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:magsj, patagonia capilene baselayers will change your life

You are a man obsessed.. with base layers.. like me with getting a chance to wear my salopettes. :D

I could feel the cold through my joggers, when I went out earlier..
so I’ll be getting to wear one of my snow pants very soon, when
I’m going further up the road and not just to the shop next door.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Maia wrote:I'm not much good at photos, I'm afraid.

I bet magsj would lead you through the mountains, in exchange for some Earth magic?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7941
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Snow!

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:30 pm

Urwrong But I Love You wrote:
Maia wrote:I'm not much good at photos, I'm afraid.

I bet magsj would lead you through the mountains, in exchange for some Earth magic?


And I bet he would. In exchange for...? :scared-shocked:




Seriously, though, Maia, be careful here. And you don't have to be a hardcore feminist to explain that.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46397
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:00 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Urwrong But You Know Me wrote:
Maia wrote:I'm not much good at photos, I'm afraid.

I bet magsj would lead you through the mountains, in exchange for some Earth magic?

And I bet he would. In exchange for...? :scared-shocked:

:lol:

I love a good love story.. Tristan und Iseult, Snoopy and Fifi, Megan and Harry lol, Rapunzel and Prince Flynn, Private Johnny Rico and Captain Carmen Ibanez. :)
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby iambiguous » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:18 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Urwrong But You Know Me wrote:
Maia wrote:I'm not much good at photos, I'm afraid.

I bet magsj would lead you through the mountains, in exchange for some Earth magic?

And I bet he would. In exchange for...? :scared-shocked:

:lol:

MagsJ wrote:I love a good love story.. Tristan und Iseult, Snoopy and Fifi, Megan and Harry lol, Rapunzel and Prince Flynn, Private Johnny Rico and Captain Carmen Ibanez. :)


Well, as Maia once explained it to me in an email, a "love story" was not at all how she reacted to him then. Now, I have my own guesses here as to what might be unfolding between them, but, when push comes to shove, it's really none of my business. Things like this just fascinate me because I am fascinated as to why people do the things they do...rather than other things.

And then [of course] the part where folks like philosophers weigh in on what rational -- "wise" -- people ought to do.


Oh, and by the way, snow is one of my favorite things!!

You know, when I don't have to drive in it. 8)
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46397
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Snow!

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:52 am

Having grown up in the Mid-west,
I could go without ever seeing snow again.
Hate that, and cold too… which is
why I live in California now.

Kropotkin
Now if only I could get the other "members of the collection of truth"
to put me on ignore, life would be good..

PK
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11201
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Snow!

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:51 am

peter what part of california?
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32427
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:06 am

More snow this morning, just a thin layer, very powdery. There's no wind to speak of, and the sun is already out, so the snow is not likely to last much longer. Current temperature minus 2C.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Snow!

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:10 am

MagsJ wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:magsj, patagonia capilene baselayers will change your life

You are a man obsessed.. with base layers.. like me with getting a chance to wear my salopettes. :D

I could feel the cold through my joggers, when I went out earlier..
so I’ll be getting to wear one of my snow pants very soon, when
I’m going further up the road and not just to the shop next door.


just get these and then you can wear your regular clothes

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/womens-t ... baselayers
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32427
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 pm

iambiguous wrote:
MagsJ wrote:I love a good love story.. Tristan und Iseult, Snoopy and Fifi, Megan and Harry lol, Rapunzel and Prince Flynn, Private Johnny Rico and Captain Carmen Ibanez. :)

Well, as Maia once explained it to me in an email, a "love story" was not at all how she reacted to him then. Now, I have my own guesses here as to what might be unfolding between them, but, when push comes to shove, it's really none of my business. Things like this just fascinate me because I am fascinated as to why people do the things they do...rather than other things.

And then [of course] the part where folks like philosophers weigh in on what rational -- "wise" -- people ought to do.


Oh, and by the way, snow is one of my favorite things!!

You know, when I don't have to drive in it. 8)

An insight into Iam.. whaaat!?

Roads gritted when snow has fell, keeps traffic.. and life itself, moving. How dependent we are on such commercial lifelines that sustain us.

It was -1C in London earlier, but has yet to snow.. apparently, it will be upon us soon. The gritters await, on standby.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:38 pm

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
MagsJ wrote:I love a good love story.. Tristan und Iseult, Snoopy and Fifi, Megan and Harry lol, Rapunzel and Prince Flynn, Private Johnny Rico and Captain Carmen Ibanez. :)

Well, as Maia once explained it to me in an email, a "love story" was not at all how she reacted to him then. Now, I have my own guesses here as to what might be unfolding between them, but, when push comes to shove, it's really none of my business. Things like this just fascinate me because I am fascinated as to why people do the things they do...rather than other things.

And then [of course] the part where folks like philosophers weigh in on what rational -- "wise" -- people ought to do.


Oh, and by the way, snow is one of my favorite things!!

You know, when I don't have to drive in it. 8)

An insight into Iam.. whaaat!?


Well, there are insights into people and snow; and then there are insights into people and stalking.

Either way, go figure.

Existentially as it were. If there you dare to go.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46397
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Snow!

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm

here's some colorado snow from october

pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32427
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:18 am

iambiguous wrote:
MagsJ wrote:An insight into Iam.. whaaat!?

Well, there are insights into people and snow; and then there are insights into people and stalking.

As long as Maia is comfortable with current proceedings, I see no need to worry on her behalf.. you might feel differently about the matter though, well.. you obviously do.

I have my own thoughts on the matter..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby iambiguous » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:40 am

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
MagsJ wrote:An insight into Iam.. whaaat!?

Well, there are insights into people and snow; and then there are insights into people and stalking.

As long as Maia is comfortable with current proceedings, I see no need to worry on her behalf.. you might feel differently about the matter though, well.. you obviously do.

I have my own thoughts on the matter..


There are those who will stalk you sexually and those who will stalk you philosophically. Now, which is more potentially dangerous to your peace of mind?

Again, I've had a number of exchanges with Maia going back months now and, sure, I have to come to feel a regard for her that from my frame of mind warrants a measure of concern about her. Only now at least I understand better why the "current proceedings" appeal to her. Urwrong can hold his own in regard to subjects that she is very much interested in pursuing. Subjects that she is considerably knowledgeable about. On the other hand, he completely avoids the part where his own views on God and religion are nothing at all like hers. Whereas I don't hesitate to probe the gaps between us.

And, just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the matter of stalking. If that's a place you are willing to go.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46397
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 am

Well, it's all completely different today. No snow at all, but it's been raining in the night and the grass is still wet. It's about 10C, and the air is damp. The sudden change in temperature, and pressure, took place last night. It was still below freezing when I was at work, but between around 11.15 and 11.45 PM, as I was walking home, the temperature gradually rose, and it was very noticeably less cold by the time I got back.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:41 pm

_
:lol:

In words, for Maia, from one of my favourite TV channels..

Image 1:
Viewer: “Why is there ice outside”?
Dave TV channel: “Mother Nature wants to watch you fall over
as revenge for what we’ve done to the planet”.

Image 2:
Viewer: “What does Dave think of the weather”?
Dave TV channel: “The weather, like everything in this world,
is truly against us”.

D68405AD-BD6F-4B30-BEA2-6E5AC471677D.jpeg
D68405AD-BD6F-4B30-BEA2-6E5AC471677D.jpeg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 274 times

A716C20A-26BA-40B1-A402-0D12FA2F7BB0.jpeg
A716C20A-26BA-40B1-A402-0D12FA2F7BB0.jpeg (26.76 KiB) Viewed 274 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
:lol:

In words, for Maia, from one of my favourite TV channels..

Image 1:
Viewer: “Why is there ice outside”?
Dave TV channel: “Mother Nature wants to watch you fall over
as revenge for what we’ve done to the planet”.

Image 2:
Viewer: “What does Dave think of the weather”?
Dave TV channel: “The weather, like everything in this world,
is truly against us”.

D68405AD-BD6F-4B30-BEA2-6E5AC471677D.jpeg

A716C20A-26BA-40B1-A402-0D12FA2F7BB0.jpeg


Hehe, sounds about right.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Snow!

Postby MagsJ » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:just get these and then you can wear your regular clothes

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/womens-t ... baselayers

I hate wearing base layers.. though I have a set. I might have to
get out my fleece-lined velvet joggers and quilted ski pants soon..
or perish, in the cold cold grip of Winter.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 25057
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka / LDN Town

Re: Snow!

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:25 pm

It's snowing!!
How wonderful.
Always does around Christmas.



When I say "white" I mean...white Christmas ...maybe with chocolate sprinkles.
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Snow!

Postby iambiguous » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Lorikeet wrote:It's snowing!!
How wonderful.
Always does around Christmas.



When I say "white" I mean...white Christmas ...maybe with chocolate sprinkles.


Note to Urwrong:

Meet your competition.

So to speak. :lol:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 46397
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: hanging out with godot

Re: Snow!

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:44 am

MagsJ wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:magsj, come to denver, it'll be snowing here soon enough, and if you don't want to wait, you can drive an hour into the mountains and there's tons of it, and it's cold af so you can test all your winter gear.

I’ll bear your offer in mind.. : )

Is it home for you, for now? I’m thinking of going up to Scotland, to get my snowboarding-fix in.


for the moment, but i could move again you never know
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32427
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Lorikeet wrote:It's snowing!!
How wonderful.
Always does around Christmas.



When I say "white" I mean...white Christmas ...maybe with chocolate sprinkles.


It doesn't often snow on Christmas Day, here.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Snow!

Postby Lorikeet » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Most probably no snow....it's hovering around zero.
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Most probably no snow....it's hovering around zero.


Anything above zero is too warm as far as I'm concerned.
User avatar
Maia
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3650
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Snow!

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Maia wrote:Anything above zero is too warm as far as I'm concerned.
Are you a lover of cold, as I am?
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users