Snow!

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Snow!

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Maia wrote:Anything above zero is too warm as far as I'm concerned.
Are you a lover of cold, as I am?

Yes, very much so. Walking over long distances, for example, is much better when it's cold, in winter.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Definitely.
Went to a spa to experience the Nordic cold baths....hate the sauna.
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Those with inner heat, week cold; those with inner frigidity seek heat.

ΑΥΤΟΦΩΤΟΣ - those with an inner light can illuminate the dark - those with an inner darkness need light to be given to them.
Children of the sun, versus children of the moon.
Moon can only reflect the sun's light. It has no light of its own.

Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Those with inner heat, week cold; those with inner frigidity seek heat.

ΑΥΤΟΦΩΤΟΣ - those with an inner light can illuminate the dark - those with an inner darkness need light to be given to them.

People say I have a high metabolism. I don't even bother wrapping up in warm clothes.

What are those non-standard characters, btw?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Maia wrote:
Lorikeet wrote:Those with inner heat, week cold; those with inner frigidity seek heat.

People say I have a high metabolism. I don't even bother wrapping up in warm clothes.

Greek...
Auto-illuminating...

Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Maia wrote:

Greek...
Auto-illuminating...

Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Maia wrote:

Greek...
Auto-illuminating...

Ok. My reader doesn't recognise them.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Yo, Urwrong!

You're up!! :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:56 pm

iambiguous wrote:Yo, Urwrong!

What's all this about?
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Jealousy.
Neediness.

Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Jealousy.
Neediness.

It's a shame.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:36 pm

Maia wrote:

What's all this about?

Not to worry. It's an "inside joke" between us.

Trust me: they understand. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:40 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Maia wrote:

What's all this about?

So do I. It's not very edifying.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:46 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Maia wrote:

What's all this about?

Maia wrote:So do I. It's not very edifying.

Okay, let's take that to the philosophy forum and explore it more...substantively?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:48 pm

Eh?

If you want to ask me something, in particular, something that I might be interested in discussing, then you are welcome to.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:01 pm

Maia wrote:Eh?

If you want to ask me something, in particular, something that I might be interested in discussing, then you are welcome to.

Okay, but this is "non-philosophical chat". The board that comes closest here to "social media" chit-chat. Part of the new ILP as it were.

I'm more interested in exploring "edification" in regard to what you construe the "inside joke" to be in regard to my reactions to Urwrong and Lyssa Maybe [Satyr] insofar as they respond to you as they do.

Though I flat out admit that, philosophically or otherwise, it is just speculation on my part given my own experiences with male/female exchanges in venues like this.

Anyway, here in Baltimore "climate change" has all but eliminated the chance of snow these days. In fact, on Christmas Day it will be a balmy 61 degrees for the high. That's fahrenheit on this side of the pond. 16 celsius where you are.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:08 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Maia wrote:Eh?

Okay, but this is "non-philosophical chat". The board that comes closest here to "social media" chit-chat. Part of the new ILP as it were.

I'm more interested in exploring "edification" in regard to what you construe the "inside joke" to be in regard to my reactions to Urwrong and Lyssa Maybe [Satyr] insofar as they respond to you as they do.

Though I flat out admit that, philosophically or otherwise, it is just speculation on my part given my own experiences with male/female exchanges in venues like this.

Anyway, here in Baltimore "climate change" has all but eliminated the chance of snow these days. In fact, on Christmas Day it will be a balmy 61 degrees for the high. That's fahrenheit on this side of the pond. 16 celsius where you are.

Please feel free to start another thread elsewhere if you want to ask something more serious.

As for the "inside joke" I think you are trying to imply that those two individuals are somehow competing with each other to win my affection and/or romantic interest, to embarrass them into not talking to me. Not that I'm suggesting you've succeeded, but I think that's what you're doing.

16C is definitely uncomfortably high for this time of year.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:33 pm

_
Being slightly warmer than average, means less money spent on gas and electric.

..so saving money and the environment..

There is still the possibility of snow, here.. if but only fleeting.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:12 am

MagsJ wrote:_
Being slightly warmer than average, means less money spent on gas and electric.

..so saving money and the environment..

There is still the possibility of snow, here.. if but only fleeting.

My thoughts exactly.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:02 am

Maia wrote:As for the "inside joke" I think you are trying to imply that those two individuals are somehow competing with each other to win my affection and/or romantic interest, to embarrass them into not talking to me. Not that I'm suggesting you've succeeded, but I think that's what you're doing.

He's a gossip-girl.

But somebody did feed him the drama to initiate all this. I've been around these philosophy forums for a long time now. When people don't have much philosophy to offer, discuss, debate, or say, then they generally latch onto drama instead, or create it wherever possible. And I admit, sometimes it's quite necessary to get a little "personal" to provoke better arguments, or for people to show you who they really are, and what they're really about. The title of this forum includes "provoking thought". The better and best philosophical exchanges, almost require such, provocations.

People want to talk with you, but you have to put yourself on the line, out in the open. Dialogue is always a risk of exposure.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:13 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Maia wrote:As for the "inside joke" I think you are trying to imply that those two individuals are somehow competing with each other to win my affection and/or romantic interest, to embarrass them into not talking to me. Not that I'm suggesting you've succeeded, but I think that's what you're doing.

He's a gossip-girl.

But somebody did feed him the drama to initiate all this. I've been around these philosophy forums for a long time now. When people don't have much philosophy to offer, discuss, debate, or say, then they generally latch onto drama instead, or create it wherever possible. And I admit, sometimes it's quite necessary to get a little "personal" to provoke better arguments, or for people to show you who they really are, and what they're really about. The title of this forum includes "provoking thought". The better and best philosophical exchanges, almost require such, provocations.

People want to talk with you, but you have to put yourself on the line, out in the open. Dialogue is always a risk of exposure.

Being open can be a problem but I always try to be.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:51 am

Maia wrote:Being open can be a problem but I always try to be.

My first year on this forum, I put some trust into one of these "ILP-types". That stranger reminded me of Iambiguous. It wasn't long before that poster used personal information against me, as leverage in arguments and social standing. I learned my lesson the hard way, but not too roughly all considering. It's a dangerous thing to open yourself to the public. The predators and cretins will amass around you, looking for a victim, searching for weakness. Because, really, that's all they have. They do not have an inner-strength, a soul, a spirit, a worldview, a philosophy, an honesty about exploration of life and existence.

It's a difference between starting as knowing existence, versus not knowing. Only a rare type becomes aware of self-ignorance.

However, I am embarrassed that you choose to trust the likes of him before me. I blame myself, not you, by the way.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Maia wrote:Being open can be a problem but I always try to be.

My first year on this forum, I put some trust into one of these "ILP-types". That stranger reminded me of Iambiguous. It wasn't long before that poster used personal information against me, as leverage in arguments and social standing. I learned my lesson the hard way, but not too roughly all considering. It's a dangerous thing to open yourself to the public. The predators and cretins will amass around you, looking for a victim, searching for weakness. Because, really, that's all they have. They do not have an inner-strength, a soul, a spirit, a worldview, a philosophy, an honesty about exploration of life and existence.

It's a difference between starting as knowing existence, versus not knowing. Only a rare type becomes aware of self-ignorance.

However, I am embarrassed that you choose to trust the likes of him before me. I blame myself, not you, by the way.

I learnt a long time ago to be careful who I give too much personal info to.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Yeah, well, it's all fun and games until somebody leads you into the deep snow. That's when trust really matters.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:23 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Yeah, well, it's all fun and games until somebody leads you into the deep snow. That's when trust really matters.

I treat people how they treat me, and give to them what they give me, usually many times over. I don't think you can go too far wrong with that policy.
Maia
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat