Snow!

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Snow!

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Maia wrote:I treat people how they treat me, and give to them what they give me, usually many times over. I don't think you can go too far wrong with that policy.

I'm not convinced. I believe people are more selfish than you let on, including yourself. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Maia wrote:I treat people how they treat me, and give to them what they give me, usually many times over. I don't think you can go too far wrong with that policy.

I'm not convinced. I believe people are more selfish than you let on, including yourself. I'm not saying it's a bad thing either.

I agree that everyone's selfish, including me. Treating people how they treat you is selfish, because you expect them to do the same again. Assuming they have treated you well, that is.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Honesty is how I treat people well, whether they accept it is up to them, not me.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Honesty is how I treat people well, whether they accept it is up to them, not me.

I think honesty can be tempered with circumspection without veering off into dishonesty.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:52 pm

Age wizens us all, my passion hasn't changed, has yours?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:54 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Age wizens us all, my passion hasn't changed, has yours?

I don't think so.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Too bad, no white Christmas this year...
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Too bad, no white Christmas this year...

Nor a white solstice either.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby Lorikeet » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:17 pm

Among the woke...this is a rape song...
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:22 pm

My family celebrates Christmas despite being mostly Atheist. I consider myself leaning more toward Polytheism and 'Gods' as ancestor-worship, along with Deification of natural phenomena into Mysticism.

Maia and Satyr, do you consider yourselves Pagan, and do you celebrate any Winter holiday? Or what are 'pagan' holidays? Is Christmas a coopted pagan Holiday, taken, stolen, repackaged as an Abrahamic invention?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:My family celebrates Christmas despite being mostly Atheist. I consider myself leaning more toward Polytheism and 'Gods' as ancestor-worship, along with Deification of natural phenomena into Mysticism.

Maia and Satyr, do you consider yourselves Pagan, and do you celebrate any Winter holiday? Or what are 'pagan' holidays? Is Christmas a coopted pagan Holiday, taken, stolen, repackaged as an Abrahamic invention?

Perfect! :lol:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:02 pm

Sounds like something an Objectivist would say
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Lorikeet » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:43 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Abrahamism is the corruption of paganism, so all Christian holidays correspond to ancient sacred days having to do with nature....like the Easter and its symbolic resurrection of nature.
Last edited by Lorikeet on Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods

-Thomas Babington Macaulay, Lays of Ancient Rome
Lorikeet
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:32 pm

Lorikeet wrote:
Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Abrahamism is the corruption of paganism, so all Christian holidays correspond to ancient sacred days having to do with nature....like the Easter and tis symbolic resurrection of nature.

Note to Maia:

They're sure making it tough for you. 8)
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=176529
Then here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5&t=185296
And here: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 1&t=194382

"Sure, it works in practice, but does it work in theory?"

Danny Embling: "People wonder how Hitler managed to get so many followers...it's never surprised me."
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Maia » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:53 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:My family celebrates Christmas despite being mostly Atheist. I consider myself leaning more toward Polytheism and 'Gods' as ancestor-worship, along with Deification of natural phenomena into Mysticism.

I do indeed regard myself as a Pagan. I celebrate the winter solstice, the rebirth of the sun. And yes, almost everything about Christmas is taken from Pagan traditions, often Roman ones.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:28 pm

_
Sunset

16:03
Sunday, 2 January 2022 (GMT)
Sunset in London N1, UK

__
How many minutes after sunset does it get dark?

So How Long Does It Take to Get Dark after the Sunset? In short, it takes somewhere between 70 and 140 minutes for the Sun to go past 18º below the horizon and reach the night phase. However, closer to the equator, the timeframe would be around 23 minutes.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:39 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
Sunset

Sunset in London N1, UK

__

So How Long Does It Take to Get Dark after the Sunset? In short, it takes somewhere between 70 and 140 minutes for the Sun to go past 18º below the horizon and reach the night phase. However, closer to the equator, the timeframe would be around 23 minutes.

Getting through this Winter has been a breeze.. I have finally being in good optimised health to thank for that, as my internal furnace and thermometer are working fantastically well, in keeping my nervous system and self stable.

Why hibernate through Winter, when it is a season to be enjoyed.. a brisk walk to the shops.. long morning lie-ins.. healthy hearty meals.. a nice tipple.. what’s not to love. : )
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Maia » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:42 pm

MagsJ wrote:
MagsJ wrote:_
Sunset

Sunset in London N1, UK

__

Getting through this Winter has been a breeze.. I have finally being in good optimised health to thank for that, as my internal furnace and thermometer are working fantastically well, in keeping my nervous system and self stable.

Why hibernate through Winter, when it is a season to be enjoyed.. a brisk walk to the shops.. long morning lie-ins.. healthy hearty meals.. a nice tipple.. what’s not to love. : )

Glad to hear it. I would definitely recommend going camping, too.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:23 pm

Maia wrote:Glad to hear it.

Thanks.. I ain’t taking my health for granted, ever again.. the last few years were a real wake-up call that showed what can happen, when I do.

I would definitely recommend going camping, too.

..not by myself, I ain’t.

..in a group though, sure.. but a bit more on the glamp side of things, lolz.

MagsJ

Postby Maia » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:47 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Maia wrote:Glad to hear it.

Thanks.. I ain’t taking my health for granted, ever again.. the last few years were a real wake-up call that showed what can happen, when I do.

I would definitely recommend going camping, too.

..not by myself, I ain’t.

..in a group though, sure.. but a bit more on the glamp side of things, lolz.

You could try camping in your back garden first. If you have one, that is.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:11 am

Maia wrote:You could try camping in your back garden first. If you have one, that is.

I am no stranger to camping.. in my garden or elsewhere, but I would not camp out elsewhere on my own.

I’m definitely not a country gal. :)

MagsJ

Postby Maia » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:52 pm

I was out in the garden and it literally just started to snow as I was out there, a few minutes ago. Fingers crossed that it'll settle!
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:44 pm

_
Apparently it snowed in London today..

Sadly, it didn’t reach my part of Town.. I saw a few flakes fly past the window, was all..

I saw less snow than this:

MagsJ

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am

And where is our Earth princess to rejoice in it?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am

_
Missing her..? Ahh Spring.. the Season of feelings being felt.

I recall you mentioning having a girlfriend.. are you trying to make polygamy your current vibe? aha!

_
It went terribly cold last week.. polar winds, or from some place or other.

We’re now currently at a cool [not cold] 6c

MagsJ

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat