“Till We Have Faces” book discussion

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

“Till We Have Faces” book discussion

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Is this the appropriate forum for a book discussion? I have a list of books I want to read during my break between semesters. I may not have anything to say but I often do. If you happen to have this book or can quickly acquire it, maybe we can have something to say together. The rest of the books I have to read can be given in a list if you want to participate, but I go at my own pace.

Oh this is by C.S. Lewis.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Re: “Till We Have Faces” book discussion

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:08 am

I have read up to chapter 12. Just feel like quote dropping a couple that stand out.

It was on happy days when we were up there on the hills, the three of us, with the wind and the sunshine… Where you couldn’t see Glome or the palace. Do you remember? The color and the smell, and looking across at the Grey Mountain in the distance? And because it was so beautiful, it set me longing, always longing. Somewhere else there must be more of it. Everything seemed to be saying, “Psyche come!” But I couldn’t (not yet) come and I didn’t know where I was to come to. It almost hurt me. I felt like a bird in a cage when the other birds of its kind are flying home.
- Psyche, 85

The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing—to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from—
- Psyche, 86

—my country, the place where I ought to have been born. Do you think it all meant nothing, all the longing? The longing for home? For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back. All my life the god of the mountain has been wooing me.
- Psyche, 87

The gods never send us this invitation to delight so readily or so strongly as when they are preparing some new agony. We are their bubbles; they blow us big before they prick us.
- Maia, 111

Psyche is happy to be going to the more real of her longing, whereas Maia is angry at the gods she feels build things up to let us down. Two very different perspectives. Which is delusional? The Fox loves them both regardless what they think, but they both suspect he is wrong there are no gods.

Exciting setup!

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:05 am

Very beautiful but never read it.The parts may be reflected in Look Homeward Angel and Kerouac's The Town and The City.

But the excerpts really hit home and somehow transcended Fox's divisiveness
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 am

Meno_ wrote:Very beautiful but never read it.The parts may be reflected in Look Homeward Angel and Kerouac's The Town and The City.

But the excerpts really hit home and somehow transcended Fox's divisiveness

I haven’t read the ones you reference so I can’t comment to them.

I think I oversimplified the Fox’s view. I think he is doubtful of the authority or motivation of powerful priests, politicians, etc.

He is not in any way divisive relationally, and (as I keep reading), admits he doesn’t know everything and may be wrong. If he is divisive, it is against making an error in judgment/reason/nature. Delighted to see the three spheres appear together on page 168.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:04 am

; one little stairway led me from feast or council, all the bustle and skill and glory and queenship, to my own chamber to be alone with myself—that is, with a nothingness. Going to bed and waking in the morning (I woke, most often, too early) were bad times—so many hundred of evenings and mornings. Sometimes I wondered who or what sends us this senseless repetition of days and nights and seasons and years; is it not like hearing a stupid boy whistle the same tune over and over, till you wonder how he can bear it himself?

We were at peace with everyone. Bardia and Penuan and Arnom could do all that was needed while I was away; for indeed Glome had now been nursed and trained till it almost ruled itself.

both quotes from the queen

My favorite thing is that the main character is a woman, a badass, and unattractive.

I have read up to part two and just begun it and I’m not surprised that part one had a false ending. How else is she going to resolve her conflicts with the gods etc.? Of course I am assuming. But, it’s not like it’s the first time I’ve ever read CS Lewis.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:37 am

’Do not do it,’ said the god. ‘You cannot escape Ungit by going to the deadlands, for she is there also. Die before you die. There is no chance after.’

But… who is who in the cave “paintings” stories… and how it relates to Maia’s actual life. I think I understand the metaphor for bearing of anguish (of each other’s burdens)—if there is more to it, it escapes me.

Maybe I am up too late. I’ll take another look tomorrow. I can see how her eyes are opened to her faults. Just unclear how she sees it in the paintings.

Her complaint reminds me of the book of Job married with A Grief Observed (C.S. Lewis wrote it after losing his wife).

Pretty sure “love” is the last word.

Reminds me of Levinas.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:45 am

Oh yeah… the key passage that gives the book its title… and the cover of the book in my possession… prolly help decode what still isn’t registering. I’ll sleep on it.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:39 am

I get it now. :)

I guess some parting instances of talking to myself… I love how in hindsight you can see the god nudging throughout the story (the stroke from without). And I love how it contrasts love with craving. And I love The Fox.

And I love that someone read this before I did and referred to it a bunch of times before I even read it. *Cry. Again.* The sky fell today lol. *Cry*

C.S. Lewis y’ol son of a gun. Every time.

what many see we call a real thing, and what only one sees we call a dream. But things that many see may have no taste or moment in them at all, and things that are shown only to one may be spears and water spouts of truth from the very depths of truth.

“… ‘Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.’ A glib saying. When the time comes to you at which you will be forced at last to order the speech which has laying at the center of your soul for years, which you have, all that time, idiot like, been saying over and over, you will not talk about joy of words.… There was given to me a certainty that this, at last, was my real voice. … How can they meet us face-to-face till we have faces?

The answers bit at the end sort of reminds me of the ending of a beautiful mind :)

Good stuff.

Love covers over a multitude of hate and fear. Poof! Like a disappearing act ;)

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:11 am

“Remember, my son, that you used to have the good things in your lifetime, while Lazarus suffered the bad. Now he is being comforted here, while you are in agony.”

HERE. HERe. HEre. Here. here. her. he. h. .

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:27 am

! h! he! her! here! Here! HEre! HERe! HERE!

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:16 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:I get it now. :)

I guess some parting instances of talking to myself… I love how in hindsight you can see the god nudging throughout the story (the stroke from without). And I love how it contrasts love with craving. And I love The Fox.

And I love that someone read this before I did and referred to it a bunch of times before I even read it. *Cry. Again.* The sky fell today lol. *Cry*

C.S. Lewis y’ol son of a gun. Every time.

what many see we call a real thing, and what only one sees we call a dream. But things that many see may have no taste or moment in them at all, and things that are shown only to one may be spears and water spouts of truth from the very depths of truth.

“… ‘Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.’ A glib saying. When the time comes to you at which you will be forced at last to order the speech which has laying at the center of your soul for years, which you have, all that time, idiot like, been saying over and over, you will not talk about joy of words.… There was given to me a certainty that this, at last, was my real voice. … How can they meet us face-to-face till we have faces?

The answers bit at the end sort of reminds me of the ending of a beautiful mind :)

Good stuff.

Love covers over a multitude of hate and fear. Poof! Like a disappearing act ;)

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat