If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Share and discuss.

Re: If You're Listening To Music Right Now III

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:46 pm

origami wrote:House is terrible.

The track that Magsj posted that you liked (Frederick Stone - Lamentin) is an instance of house music.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby origami » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:00 pm

Yes but I distinctly said that it was in spite of being house.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 pm

_
There is good house and bad house.. there is even some good trance, dare I say.. coz I really dislike trance.

..hell is gabber? Google!?

This is my favourite track, out of what I recently posted.. the lyrics are sung in an exotic foreign tongue, and it’s got beat and melody.

MagsJ wrote:Eastern-inspired trance.. melody and beats.

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:11 pm

Best kind of music to my ears.
I can watch surfing all day long.

Feelings are much like waves. We can't stop them from coming but we can choose which one to surf.
Jonatan Martesson
Last edited by Arcturus Descending on Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:11 pm

MagsJ wrote:..hell is gabber? Google!?

Oh!

:|

Definitely more a guy thing, that.. I don’t think it was ever popular amongst Brits.. we were more rave scene than cray scene.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby origami » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:19 pm

Brits created the greatest rave of all: the jungle rave, and all its descendants.

MagsJ wrote:Definitely more a guy thing, that.. I don’t think it was ever popular amongst Brits.. we were more rave scene than cray scene.

I never heard the term gabber in my life, but I can tell you now the balance tended to be on the female side. Fact, it used to be mostly girls putting them together. Whereas with psytrance raves...

*shudders*

House too can have a very male-heavy equilibrium. Except when it doesn't, which I grant does happen. Often when large stacks of money meet large bags of cocaine.

"Journeys of the mind" tend to be a guy thing. Girls like journeys of the body.

That's what happened with dubstep, too, as it got more cerebral it started chasing the girls away. Girls just like a juicy bass. Who doesn't like a juicy bass?

Bass:

Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:27 pm

Also too there's the fact that th spirit was sucked out of most electronic music, and house just sort of absorbed all partying. House is undisputed master now, basically the only thing that plays where people dance and do drugs that isn't some retro thing.

That's all after my time, though, thank the lord.

There's no such thing as underground anymore. There is just electronic music that mainstream people will do drugs to. House is very unthreatening, very bland, very welcoming to more fragile souls.

The arguable greatest dubstep DJ of all time now does house. There is just no other electronic music that takes itself seriously. Most of the other legends just do explicitly "back in time" type stuff or ambient or whatever.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:30 pm

I don't think it's a coincidence that this coincided with an era where young people are no longer seriously rebellious, they like their rules and they like to follow them.

Only gangsta rap remains underground and rebellious. Everything else is acquiescence.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 pm

I'm player hating, aren't I? Maybe they're all a bunch of party animals and I just don't know it.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:18 am

https://youtu.be/Q95Xma4ms40

Oh this was Herr. Hitler's favorite!
Is the world ready for a repeat performance?
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:30 am

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:31 pm

I dedicate this song to my imaginary boyfriend.
https://youtu.be/eOUtsybozjg
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 pm

MagsJ wrote:..hell is gabber? Google!?

It's a type of rave music that was made popular by the Dutch during the 90s. It has a heavy and fast beat and sounds pretty much like BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. It's like someone took Mortal Kombat theme song and tried to make it more masculine but ended up with something rather silly.

Mortal Kombat theme song
https://youtu.be/EAwWPadFsOA

That wasn't "hard" (i.e. masculine) enough for the Dutch, so they decided to create gabber.

https://youtu.be/XOMT3bRJXOo

"Just make it loud and fast and ignore everything else." Their motto, in a sense. I guess they were super impressed by how heavy rave beats are, so they tried to outdo them.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:49 pm

pedro wrote:House too can have a very male-heavy equilibrium. Except when it doesn't, which I grant does happen. Often when large stacks of money meet large bags of cocaine.

"Journeys of the mind" tend to be a guy thing. Girls like journeys of the body.

That's what happened with dubstep, too, as it got more cerebral it started chasing the girls away. Girls just like a juicy bass. Who doesn't like a juicy bass?

A little bit of theory. Dancing is the process of discovering the natural movement of the body that has the highest degree of simillarity to the sound being played (the creative part) and then executing it (the technical part.) Mind you, as with most things nowadays, the creative aspect is usually neglected. But that's what dancing is. And what's being matched is mostly the rhythm. So, the extent to which a song is danceable is determined by how rhythmic it is. No rhythm means there is nothing to dance to. But also, too much rhythm means it's difficult to dance to (hence "braindance" as a term describing rhythmically complex music such as drill n bass, a descendent of jungle.)

Eurotrance is rhytmically very very poor. Just listen to Ferry Corsten's cover of Samuel Barber's Adagio for String (originally not a dance song.) What do we have here? Very basic percussion (4/4 beats, snare/clap every other beat, hats between beats), bass line that adds some rhythm, synthlines that add some rhythm before the crescendo . . . and that's it. There is even a ~40 sec long perod during which only the main melody plays (and another half a minute of build up.) The crescendo is just Adagio for Strings on top of the same exact basic percussion and bass line. What's there to dance? The track's appeal lies entirely in the melody and the supersaw synth lines that carry it on top of the bass line. It's a mental type of music, appealing to emotions, and in this regard, feminine. But as far aa rhythm is concerned, it's masculine.

Goa and psy trance, on the hand, are lacking in melody, tend to be cold and often menacing and have a futuristic "the kind of music space aliens listen to" vibe. In this sense, they are quite masculine. But at the same time, they have a lot more rhythm than eurotrance does, and since they tend not to be rhythmically complex, they are very danceable. There is also a type of psy halfway between the two called "full on psy" or so.ething like that e.g. 1200 Micrograms - Mescaline (Astrix Remix) and GMS - Tudo Mund. It preserves the rhythm and adds some melody on top of it. Spearheaded by the Isralis, this was the dominant type of trance music on the Balkans (at the time when eurotrance was all the rage elsewhere in the world.)

House music, on the other hand, was invented by black gays in Chicago during the mid 80s and after the fall of disco. In a way, it is "new disco". It gave rise to such genres as techno (they wanted to call it "Detroit house" but a marketing savvy person suggested calling it something else to imply it's something entirely different.) Techno, in turn, gave rise to rave music (which gave rise to jungle), trance and other genres. In a way, house is to other EDM genres what philosophy is to sciences. I suppose that's why it's such a broad and diverse genre. Anyways, being gay music, literally speaking, it has a feminine bent. It's generally not lacking in rhythm, and certainly, far more rhythmic than eurotrance and hardcore/gabber.

Arty & Mat Zo - Rebound
(They call it "trance" but I'd say it's more "anthem house" that is nowadays known as "trouse" which is short for "trance house". They love renaming genres.)
https://youtu.be/Kmp3MguaTSA

Swedish House Mafia - One
(Anthem house a.k.a. trouse)
https://youtu.be/GKZgTk1dSJg

Axwell - Watch the Sunrise
https://youtu.be/dseJfdlUdNQ

Steve "Silk" Hurley - Jack Your Body
(Chicago house)
https://youtu.be/mQcg-dRg5h4
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby gib » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:45 pm

Hello folks, 3 songs from my latest music mix:

You can check it out here: Summer 2022
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

"Why, I haven't been that entertained since the stock market crash of 1929! Ha! Ha! Ha!... So many orphans."
- Alastor the radio demon

"I want to watch the scum of the world struggle to climb up the hill of betterment only to repeatedly trip and tumble down to the fiery pit of failure."

"`With all due respect’ is a wonderful expression because it actually doesn’t specify how much respect is due."
gib
resident exorcist

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:05 pm

_
No one needs to understand.. nor neither know or bother care, about Us.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 pm

MagsJ wrote:Ok, so.. the intro reminds me of another track (I can’t remember which, right now) and then the guitar rift and ensuing percussion and reverb at 41 seconds in (and also sprinkled throughout) is everything/divine/a god-damn vibe. -The rest of his playlist, I can take it or leave it.

En encore

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:32 am

MagsJ wrote:Soothing tones.. much-needed and necessary..

This ^^^ la perfection!

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:34 am

_
When you high, but you ain’t on drugs #highonlife.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:23 am

MagsJ wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Soothing tones.. much-needed and necessary..

This ^^^ la perfection!

Epic, even.. sensationnelle

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:38 am

The Swan Lake is really phenomenal. Thanks MagsJ
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:24 pm

Sculptor wrote:It's alright if you just dropped a handful of MDMA, but its not what I call music.

It's a bit hypocritical to say that Rebel Rebel is music but that Baya Baya (house) and Played A-Live (trance) aren't. Plenty of rock is more repetitive, less melodic and generally speaking less interesting than a lot of electronic dance music. I was sitting in a restaurant the other day while "Dancing with myself" was playing on the radio. I was convinced it's a Bruce Springsteen track. The dull mood that is present in both tracks got me fooled. Personally, I'd pick Music Instructor's Supersonic over Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA on any day.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:26 pm

_
The thing I like about Ellie, is that she is a drummer unto her own self.. as a fellow
drummer, I approve greatly.

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:27 pm

if I fall you’re going down with me
https://youtu.be/R3swHt97Qtw

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:59 pm

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment