Series and Shows

Share and discuss.

Re: Series and Shows

Postby Jakob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:48 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Jakob wrote:The original Twin Peaks.
For its numerous moments of genuine soap, it has as many moments of the gravest, most profound art.
And then those moments where the two combine, which are truly transcendental.
Also, the concept of honor. By the 2000's, it had become possible to convey the idea of honor only in reference to crime. Our culture had fallen by then.
Twin Peaks was made at the peak of the Empire.

#-o

That series was nuts.. only the first few episodes made any sense, then David Lynch lost the making-any-sense plot.. along with his mind? :-s

Whattt??

How dare you.

No, only the first 16 episodes made sense.

Thats when the killah was discovered and died. Then, the show had become so lucrative that they made another 16 episodes which did indeed fail to make sense.

About 5 episodes of the original 16 were directed by Lynch. These stand out to me as THE best art on the screen ever to have been produced.
The remainder of there episodes is directed by anywhere from bad to mediocre to fairly decent directors. Which gives the show an incredibly inconsistent quality.

I’ve gotten into twee British murder mysteries.. Midsomer Murders, Grantchester, Lewis, Morse, Endeavour, Vera, Foyles War, Poirot, Miss Marple, etc.

Had to look up "twee". What a twee word.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Sumbitch. Homeland.
Im watching season 7 now, its so great, the aesthetics wonderful. Claire Danes is the best actress out there.

Its made to misinform and to inform alike, aside from entertain and bring in cash. Its very layered. Mostly the aesthetics though, the portrayal of power. House of Cards in its first two seasons had some of this sleek density but this has far more of it. Deeper. The leader alone is too creepy to disregard.

Produced by one Katie O Hara, who must be a very interesting person to talk to.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
The Wheel - The Tree
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:26 am

anyone who hasn't watched every episode of happy tree friends is dumb
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:08 pm

One of my Sisters talked me into watching ‘The Expanse’.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:48 pm

_
Top of The Pops: The story of 1983 - BBC Two

Playing now..

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:05 pm

WendyDarling wrote:One of my Sisters talked me into watching ‘The Expanse’.

A character in The Expanse said in so many words that in his world there are three kinds of people; bad people, people you follow, and people you protect. Why do I find something profound in that simplicity?
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:59 pm

_
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:00 am

_
Watching QI XL.. a very knowledge-filled episode, it is.

MagsJ

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:21 am

Jack Whitehall, Travels With My Father(Season 5 premieres on Netflix on Sept 14...a guilty pleasure)
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Meno_ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:40 pm

Great shoe, as Ed Sullivan used to say :

https://youtu.be/bhlZdP1uKyc

https://youtu.be/gHDfj4H7eyQ
Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby Meno_ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:24 pm

Meno_
The Invisible One

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Sanctuary (4 seasons) Canadian sci-fi/fantasy/crime drama. It's something to watch.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby MagsJ » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:38 pm

_
Revolting Rhymes is a collection of Roald Dahl poems published in 1982. A parody of traditional folk tales in verse, Dahl gives a re-interpretation of six well-known fairy tales, featuring surprise endings in place of the traditional happily-ever-after finishes. The poems are illustrated by Quentin Blake. Wikipedia

Originally published: 1982

Author: Roald Dahl

Subject: Fairy tales

Genre: Children's poetry, satire

Illustrator: Quentin Blake

..just watched episode 1 of 2 ..I have no idea, when episode 2 is on.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:13 am

_
Red Dwarf-ing it on the Dave channel, whilst listening to Tears for Fears’ Shout.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:45 pm

_
Top Gear, Nepal special - first aired, 2019..

Top Gear sets out on perhaps its toughest road trip ever - a high-altitude voyage from Kathmandu, capital of Nepal, to the Forbidden City of Lo Manthang, a secretive kingdom perched high on the Tibetan plateau, on the far side of the Himalayas. It is a five-day expedition through the highest mountains, deepest gorges and harshest terrain on the planet.

On their journey, the Top Gear presenters battle river crossings, mudslides and dizzying mountain passes on a trip that would test even the hardiest new 4x4s on the planet to the limit. But Paddy, Freddie and Chris aren’t crossing the Himalayas in new 4x4s. They are crossing the Himalayas in a very small old Peugeot, a very small old Renault and Nepal’s first (and only) home-built car.

MagsJ

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:42 am

The Killing American version

The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:23 pm

_
Fictional characters from famous Charles Dickens novels come to life when their paths cross each other in 19th century London.

First episode date: 26 December 2015
No. of series: 1
No. of episodes: 20
Written by: Tony Jordan; Sarah Phelps; Simon Winstone; Julie Rutterford; Justin Young; Chloe Moss
Genre: Drama

..another must (re-)see, for me.

[/quote]

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:44 am

_
My current series crush to must-watch.. Wexford is quite the savage, when it comes to telling people about themselves. :shock: :lol:

__
Twelve series of 'The Ruth Rendell Mysteries' were broadcast between 2 August 1987 and 11 October 2000. Created by renowned author Ruth Rendell, the first six series focused entirely on her main literary character, Chief Inspector Reg Wexford, played by George Baker. Repeat airings of these series changed the programme's title to The Inspector Wexford Mysteries.

F0C7AD59-B087-4433-BDD8-BB7BB40D4FDE.jpeg
F0C7AD59-B087-4433-BDD8-BB7BB40D4FDE.jpeg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 526 times

658F1DCF-E5D6-4A3E-9C15-4BA0E90C0770.jpeg
658F1DCF-E5D6-4A3E-9C15-4BA0E90C0770.jpeg (59.07 KiB) Viewed 526 times

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:02 pm

_
The Royal Ballet’s Swan Lake..

9655ED5B-7476-4E09-AA2E-1F62E6FB5AEE.jpeg
9655ED5B-7476-4E09-AA2E-1F62E6FB5AEE.jpeg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 438 times

MagsJ

Postby perpetualburn » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:56 pm

"Tokyo Vice" (2022)
As a pillar of rising smoke did my angel condescend and appear, standing without reserve on the exhausted banks of infinite sorrow.

"There, where the state CEASETH—pray look thither, my brethren! Do ye not see it, the rainbow and the bridges of the Superman?" -N

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
perpetualburn

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:09 pm

_
The Nordic Darts Masters.. darts is class, of which I’m very good at.

B0329C51-DDD8-4910-8055-C27A22AD3381.jpeg
B0329C51-DDD8-4910-8055-C27A22AD3381.jpeg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 321 times

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:22 pm

_
Absolutely ‘ace’ episode.. a two-parter.

F77A7997-73D7-4869-B71D-73D7982B69AF.jpeg
F77A7997-73D7-4869-B71D-73D7982B69AF.jpeg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 312 times

MagsJ

Postby Sculptor » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:37 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schitt%27s_Creek

Just finished Schitt's Creek tonight.

I loved it all. And would recommend it to anyone of you reasonable and mentally balanced people. It is utterly joyful.
The scripts and characters are great and the acting with consummate skill.
By the time the actors had a couple of shows under their belts, they became their depictions flawlessly, and seamlessly.

It has gay themes but it is not pedagogic, nor moralising, nor judgemental, not teachy or preachy. Gays are not victims, nor are they trying to make a political point they are just people comfortable in their own skin.

I'll miss the show enormously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uWS6CnC2o
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:50 pm

_
Seen this episode before, but love this exchange between Inspector Keating and Reverend Davenport.. :lol:

____
Inspector Geordie Keating: What we need is a regular war, now that would stop this young lot fighting

Reverend Will Davenport: Yea your right Geordie that’s what we need, young men being shot at on a regular basis

101A9A89-E9F6-4C3F-9B56-882720B8A5ED.jpeg
101A9A89-E9F6-4C3F-9B56-882720B8A5ED.jpeg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 310 times

MagsJ

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:21 am

Alfred Hitchcock : gamblers dilemma, how can those who manages the house from it's humble blood soaked beginning, the bosses, pit against the vastly unfortunate who do not know that loss of percentages, now micro managed by AI, with sure results :

https://youtu.be/ucH1623yk1s
Meno_
The Invisible One

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment