What films are you watching right now?

Share and discuss.

Re: What films are you watching right now?

Postby origami » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:30 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
“Oxfords not Brogues” lol.. guess the film?

Kingsman

Featuring a great rendition of Countyr Roads.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm

Always felt the same way about shoes myself.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:53 pm

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:_
“Oxfords not Brogues” lol.. guess the film?

Kingsman

Featuring a great rendition of Countyr Roads.

I haven’t seen the most recent Kingsman and I barely remember the sequel to the first, so a ’watch again..? I think I shall.. the franchise is a definite hoot.

The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:57 pm

origami wrote:Always felt the same way about shoes myself.

In liking both oxfords and brogues, I’ve arrived at an unintended conundrum.. but then again, I always do.. but that’s just me.. personal taste, ruling over geo/political alliances.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Sculptor » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:05 pm

The Boys Season Three.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:05 pm

_
First.. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, now.. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

Seen em already, but who cares.. I can do with the light relief.
Last edited by MagsJ on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagsJ

Postby origami » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:30 pm

MagsJ wrote:

In liking both oxfords and brogues, I’ve arrived at an unintended conundrum.. but then again, I always do.. but that’s just me.. personal taste, ruling over geo/political alliances.

Imagine my situation, where my personal taste is discussing the correspondence between Leibnizian theology and Descartian existentialism.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:41 pm

_
This one.. not seen this one.. watching it now. Interesting. :-k

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 pm

MagsJ wrote:This one.. not seen this one.. watching it now. Interesting. :-k

Lol.. I just realised that I was an SA in that film.. the virus/hospital scenes. 8-[

MagsJ

Postby Ichthus77 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:12 am

Dear Dr. MagsJ,

What is an SA?

Very respectfully,

Ichthus77
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:40 am

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:

Imagine my situation, where my personal taste is discussing the correspondence between Leibnizian theology and Descartian existentialism.

Leibniz asserted that the truths of theology (religion) and philosophy cannot contradict each other, since reason and faith are both "gifts of God" so that their conflict would imply God contending against himself.

Unlike René Descartes, who believed in the primacy of consciousness, Existentialists assert that a human being is "thrown into" a concrete, inveterate universe that cannot be "thought away", and therefore existence ("being in the world") precedes consciousness, and is the ultimate reality.

That situation.. or something else..?

MagsJ

Postby origami » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:46 am

No, Descartes saw himself as "thrown into" also, was probably the first person to frame it that way. His question was how we can even know anything about what we are thrown into.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:53 am

An interesting detour here is that by asking that question, Descartes developed a method that he then applied to geometry. The theory he developed profoundly transformed mathematics forever, and was what both Leibniz and Newton studied to arrive at their individual iterations of calculus, which is still basically the principal mathematical tool used today.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:14 am

Ichthus77 wrote:Dear Dr. MagsJ,

What is an SA?

Very respectfully,

Ichthus77

I feel like the Descartes, etc, convo is worthy of its own thread I can be ignored in.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:44 pm

origami wrote:No, Descartes saw himself as "thrown into" also, was probably the first person to frame it that way. His question was how we can even know anything about what we are thrown into.

By self-abstraction.. we are not part of the moment, but in it.

origami wrote:An interesting detour here is that by asking that question, Descartes developed a method that he then applied to geometry. The theory he developed profoundly transformed mathematics forever,

..in linking the previously separate fields of geometry and algebra.

..and was what both Leibniz and Newton studied to arrive at their individual iterations of calculus, which is still basically the principal mathematical tool used today.

..used in the fields of engineering, medicine, biological research, economics, architecture, space science, electronics, statistics, pharmacology.. and probably more besides.

MagsJ

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:57 pm

MagsJ wrote:By self-abstraction.. we are not part of the moment, but in it.

But it is a mistake of the existentialists, including Descartes, isn't it? What separates you from the moment?

So what I contend with Leibniz is that
MagsJ wrote:a concrete, inveterate universe that cannot be "thought away",
exists and includes you.

MagsJ wrote:..in linking the previously separate fields of geometry and algebra.

Before tha could be done, though, Descartes had to separate geometry from, well, geometry. Only once geometry became about the study of lines instead of the study of shapes did it get so complicated that some algebra became a necessity.

Descartes resisted it until the end, but it was inevitable. Maybe a little like Relativity and Quantic Analysis. Descartes thought that by subtracting the line from the shape, he was laying bare the pre-thrown-into conciousness. Leibniz, believing in no such thing, simply noted that Descartes managed to greatly increase the complexity of the field by removing a limitation. Newton was more ideologically aligned with Descartes, he still believed he was studying the properties of lineness itself, if you will, but he accepted that what the line did was so complicated that you really needed algebra.

By the way, a lot of people miss that far from being a closet atheists, Descartes relied on the figure of God for any of his stuff to work. Because he postulated an absolute difference between thought and existence, he sugested that some famous "evil genius" could manipulate thought into thinking any damn thing. Only the existence of God could bend thought back into reality, and allow it to be applied profitably to things like geometry.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:37 pm

By the way lol none of this is strictly true.

Algebra and geometry had been used together already for centuries, even Galileo was doing it.

In a way, Descartes was a reactionary, wanting to take geometry back to a Greek Platonic geometry that used no algebra.

But because his postulations were so complex, they did the opposite, they proved that there really is no contest, algebra and geometry together are the only true mathematics.

The real revolution with Descartes was divorcing the line from the shape. So once you do that, on the basis of what do you maintain an absolute difference between the study of shapes and the study of quantities? The very debate becomes impossible. Descartes didn't think it became impossible because he believed in some abstracted human consciousness that lay behind the shape. But since there isn't, the line just starts begging the question.

Descartes wanted to abstract to get to the bare core, but what he did was show the power of abstracting, not of the base core. There is no base core.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:48 pm

_
Calculus -and maths itself- derived in ancient times.. though it has been made more fit for current purpose, by being adapted to be made fit for purpose, over time.

origami wrote:
MagsJ wrote:By self-abstraction.. we are not part of the moment, but in it.

But it is a mistake of the existentialists, including Descartes, isn't it? What separates you from the moment?

Thought.. the power of the mind, in rationalising and then reconciling any given situation, so as not to get swept up in the moment but observe it.

MagsJ

Postby origami » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:59 pm

But is not a thought part of the moment?
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 am

_
That might depend on the person and the type of mind they possess.. some [minds] only ever know of the moment, and others an abstraction of it, in removing themselves from the equation/situation.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:49 pm

_
Young Guns

Obvs seen it before.. a(n) [slight] oldie, but a goodie.

John Tunstall (Terence Stamp), a distinguished British gentleman, employs downtrodden youths to tend his herd on the New Mexican frontier. When Tunstall is gunned down by the crooked Lawrence G. Murphy (Jack Palance), a ragtag group of cow hands -- including Doc Scurlock (Kiefer Sutherland), Richard Brewer (Charlie Sheen) and young William "Billy the Kid" Bonney (Emilio Estevez) -- ride forth in search of bloody vengeance for the death of their beloved mentor.

Release date: 12 August 1988 (USA)

Director: Christopher Cain

Music by: Anthony Marinelli; Brian Banks

Box office: $56 million

Production company: Morgan Creek Productions

Distributed by: 20th Century Studios, Lionsgate, Vestron Pictures

MagsJ

Postby origami » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:03 am

I do love a good western

You might want to check out the John Wayne version, Chisum, which is not entirely about but includes that story.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 am

origami wrote:I do love a good western

You might want to check out the John Wayne version, Chisum, which is not entirely about but includes that story.

I’ve probably seen it, but I’ll check it out anyway.. I think I’ve probably seen every single Western ever made, thanks to my dad.

Yea, I love a good Western too..

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:59 pm

_
Zodiac!

“We’re giving some sick basterd a soapbox”

Robert Graysmith, a cartoonist by profession, finds himself obsessively thinking about the Zodiac killer. He uses his puzzle-solving abilities to get closer to revealing the identity of the killer.
Release date: 18 May 2007 (United Kingdom)

Director: David Fincher

Music by: David Shire

Budget: $65–85 million

Adapted from: Zodiac

Distributed by:Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures

MagsJ

Postby origami » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:59 am

"I am alone now, truly alone, and absolutely isolated from any known life. I am it. If a count were taken, the score would be three billion plus two over on the other side of the moon, and one plus God knows what on this side."

Michael Collins

Watching Apollo 13.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment