Architecture, Paintings, Statues, Sculptures etc. (no Music)

Share and discuss.

Re: Architecture, Paintings, Statues, Sculptures etc. (no Mu

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:25 pm

_
The most unusual city in the world, a’la The Jetsons stylee..

Wikitravel: “Ashgabat is a showpiece capital. It has been designed, at the cost of billions of dollars, to show the world about the glories and accomplishments of the Turkmen. The city looks like none other on Earth – a thoroughly artificial collection of white marble buildings across a long, dry valley. At sunrise or sunset, there's a beauty to this uniform, outsized ambition, as if the set of a science-fiction film suddenly became an actual human settlement. During the scorching days, when walking from monument to monument across the shadeless streets, or trying to locate anything resembling normal human life in the center, Terry Gilliam's Brazil seems like the most accurate comparison”.

F98CB9FB-35D0-489C-902D-FC03EC4FE117.jpeg
F98CB9FB-35D0-489C-902D-FC03EC4FE117.jpeg (157.06 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

A9C94128-0781-47E6-BD52-A5AC21BFBED9.jpeg
A9C94128-0781-47E6-BD52-A5AC21BFBED9.jpeg (142.16 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

B6AC568F-D8AE-445F-B0F4-233BE1C4A178.jpeg
B6AC568F-D8AE-445F-B0F4-233BE1C4A178.jpeg (151.28 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:30 pm

_
After Turkmenistan gained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, Ashgabat experienced a second birth. Today, modern Ashgabat is jokingly called the “city of the dead”, because it is almost impossible to see people in the new districts of white marble. The city holds the Guinness Book of Records title for most white marble on Earth. It holds several records, in fact: the world’s largest enclosed observation wheel, the largest fountain, the largest mural of a star. The new airport has the world’s largest image of a Turkmen carpet, adorning the main passenger terminal. Until recently, the capital even boasted the world’s tallest flagstaff. All of these new toys, these buildings, parks and roads, were supposedly built for the people. They paid for it with their silence.

871048BF-68DF-4FF5-B58F-F9FFBA8EBC60.jpeg
871048BF-68DF-4FF5-B58F-F9FFBA8EBC60.jpeg (164.8 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

2305EBDF-2260-46B1-8DF3-1B287AB7455F.jpeg
2305EBDF-2260-46B1-8DF3-1B287AB7455F.jpeg (205.14 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

04D56C41-6D31-480B-83EE-858E0855EFE3.jpeg
04D56C41-6D31-480B-83EE-858E0855EFE3.jpeg (108.55 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ

Postby Kathrina » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:18 am

MagsJ wrote:_
The most unusual city in the world, a’la The Jetsons stylee..

Wikitravel: “Ashgabat is a showpiece capital. It has been designed, at the cost of billions of dollars, to show the world about the glories and accomplishments of the Turkmen. The city looks like none other on Earth – a thoroughly artificial collection of white marble buildings across a long, dry valley. At sunrise or sunset, there's a beauty to this uniform, outsized ambition, as if the set of a science-fiction film suddenly became an actual human settlement. During the scorching days, when walking from monument to monument across the shadeless streets, or trying to locate anything resembling normal human life in the center, Terry Gilliam's Brazil seems like the most accurate comparison”.

F98CB9FB-35D0-489C-902D-FC03EC4FE117.jpeg

A9C94128-0781-47E6-BD52-A5AC21BFBED9.jpeg

B6AC568F-D8AE-445F-B0F4-233BE1C4A178.jpeg
After Turkmenistan gained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, Ashgabat experienced a second birth. Today, modern Ashgabat is jokingly called the “city of the dead”, because it is almost impossible to see people in the new districts of white marble. The city holds the Guinness Book of Records title for most white marble on Earth. It holds several records, in fact: the world’s largest enclosed observation wheel, the largest fountain, the largest mural of a star. The new airport has the world’s largest image of a Turkmen carpet, adorning the main passenger terminal. Until recently, the capital even boasted the world’s tallest flagstaff. All of these new toys, these buildings, parks and roads, were supposedly built for the people. They paid for it with their silence.

871048BF-68DF-4FF5-B58F-F9FFBA8EBC60.jpeg

2305EBDF-2260-46B1-8DF3-1B287AB7455F.jpeg

04D56C41-6D31-480B-83EE-858E0855EFE3.jpeg

All these buildings are supposed to look imposing, but to me they do not look beautiful at all.

What do you think?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kathrina

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 pm

Kathrina wrote:All these buildings are supposed to look imposing, but to me they do not look beautiful at all.

What do you think?

I find the whole place intriguing.. for me, it’s not about the architectural aesthetics of the buildings, but it’s history and unique design. I sometimes tend to subjectivity remove myself from situations, in favour of an objective view of some things.. not all things.

I do find the futuristic highways and city-scape aesthetically pleasing, as I’d envisioned a world like that by now, so I’m quite pleased that this place exists.

MagsJ

Postby Alf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:12 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Kathrina wrote:All these buildings are supposed to look imposing, but to me they do not look beautiful at all.

What do you think?

I find the whole place intriguing.. for me, it’s not about the architectural aesthetics of the buildings, but it’s history and unique design. I sometimes tend to subjectivity remove myself from situations, in favour of an objective view of some things.. not all things.

I do find the futuristic highways and city-scape aesthetically pleasing, as I’d envisioned a world like that by now, so I’m quite pleased that this place exists.

For me, all these "architectures" are nothing but megalomania.

The capital Astana (Kazakhstan) is similar to the capital Ashgabat (Turkmenistan). Both are megalomaniac "projects".
Alf

Postby Otto » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:01 am

Japan_Torii.jpg
Japan_Torii.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:55 pm

Alf wrote:The capital Astana (Kazakhstan) is similar to the capital Ashgabat (Turkmenistan). Both are megalomaniac "projects".

Aren’t all Grand Designs bourne of such, and other differing types of such..?

MagsJ

Postby Alf » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:23 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Alf wrote:The capital Astana (Kazakhstan) is similar to the capital Ashgabat (Turkmenistan). Both are megalomaniac "projects".

Aren’t all Grand Designs bourne of such, and other differing types of such..?

The degree of the beauty can be greater than the degree of the megalomaniac.
Alf

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:15 am

Alf wrote:The degree of the beauty can be greater than the degree of the megalomaniac.

Please call the city’s Planning Department’s complaints division for your architectural complaint, and the Presidential HR complaints division for your megalomaniac-ruler complaint.

MagsJ

Postby Alf » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:04 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Alf wrote:The degree of the beauty can be greater than the degree of the megalomaniac.

Please call the city’s Planning Department’s complaints division for your architectural complaint, and the Presidential HR complaints division for your megalomaniac-ruler complaint.

I have no „architectural complaint“.

In the meantime, I have experienced so many different kinds of madness in so many different people that nothing surprises me any more and I am practising ever greater serenity, tranquility.
Alf

Postby Alf » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:14 pm

Alf (12 Sep 2017, 16:26) wrote:The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

40000_Years.png
40000_Years.png (242.77 KiB) Viewed 899 times

:-k
Alf

Postby Alf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:15 am

Alf (14 Sep 2017, 01:41) wrote:I mean, if you look at the following two pictures again and think about art history:

Alf wrote:The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

40000_Years.png
40000_Years.png (242.77 KiB) Viewed 896 times

You will probably find very artful times and nearly artless times between them , won't you?
Alf

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Alf wrote:I have no „architectural complaint“.

In the meantime, I have experienced so many different kinds of madness in so many different people that nothing surprises me any more and I am practising ever greater serenity, tranquility.

I see.. such people need to be kept at arms distance.. or further.

That city has free-energy, so quite a benevolent act to pass. I don’t find that showing off your capital’s wealth a malevolent thing, as even third-world cities do it.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Alf wrote:
Alf (14 Sep 2017, 01:41) wrote:I mean, if you look at the following two pictures again and think about art history:

Alf wrote:The earliest human cave painting is about 40000 years old. And the human internet picture I posted above is about 4 days old.

40000_Years.png

You will probably find very artful times and nearly artless times between them , won't you?

Art appreciation..?

I wouldn’t want to see either depiction over and over again, and after 40,000 years I’m sure there’s room for both of them. Sorry, but I’m not of your everything has to be classical ilk.. you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all.. I like visual variety.

MagsJ

Postby Otto » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:32 am

Bb.jpg
Bb.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Otto

Postby Otto » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 am

Otto wrote:
Bb.jpg
Bb.jpg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Sorry.
Otto

Postby Otto » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:43 am

Because I meant this work of art:

Bb.jpg
Bb.jpg (254.76 KiB) Viewed 875 times

Actually, it should look like this:

Bb.jpg
Bb.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Otto

Postby Alf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:12 am

MagsJ wrote:Sorry, but I’m not of your everything has to be classical ilk.. you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all...

No. There is not only the classical style. And the rest is not only the same thing. There are many styles.
Alf

Postby MagsJ » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:51 am

Alf wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Sorry, but I’m not of your everything has to be classical ilk.. you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all...

No. There is not only the classical style. And the rest is not only the same thing. There are many styles.

Do you have a favourite style(s)?

I’d say, that mine are definitely.. Gothic/Gothic revival, Regency, Victorian, Georgian, and then.. the North, East, Europe, the rest of the world.

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/20 ... ers-photos

MagsJ

Postby Alf » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:30 am

MagsJ wrote:
Alf wrote:

Do you have a favourite style(s)?

Yes, I have several favourite styles.

I just don't like the new styles, because they simply no longer have anything to do with aesthetics in the positive sense (beauty), but only in the negative sense (ugliness, destructiveness - and the excuses for this are also ugly and destructive).
Alf

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:35 am

Alf wrote:I have several favourite styles.

I just don't like the new styles, because they simply no longer have anything to do with aesthetics in the positive sense (beauty), but only in the negative sense (ugliness, destructiveness - and the excuses for this are also ugly and destructive).

Gargoyles and Grotesques? not all Olde artistic creations are beautiful, but I appreciate and admire them none-the-less.

Bigger structures.. like buildings and cities, are more difficult to hide One’s distaste over.. I’m quite un-keen on the design of the UAE cities and states.. far too arrogantly-opulent for my more ‘pared down’ tastes.

MagsJ

Postby MagsJ » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 pm

_
:shock:

16DA5FDE-B50C-48FD-B595-1D55E9EA0728.jpeg
16DA5FDE-B50C-48FD-B595-1D55E9EA0728.jpeg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 823 times

MagsJ

Postby Alf » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:03 pm

Where can this church be found? In England?
Alf

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:31 am

Alf wrote:

I’ll get back to you on that, but what of the gargoyles and grotesques and arrogantly-opulent towns and cities?

MagsJ

Postby Chakra Superstar » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:47 am

Alf wrote:

All Saints Church in Hereford, England, from what I read.

The church was built in the 1300's but the carving was only noticed when an additional floor was added (for a restaurant, I think) and this was discovered that during the restoration. I wonder if it supposed to tell us something about the church's priest?... or perhaps the sculptor was saying he was fucked over by the church?... or he might have tripped -- almost falling to his death -- and saw this I'm-fucked-image flash past him? Believing it was a message from God, he felt compelled to carve it?

Chakra Superstar
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment