James Clavell

Share and discuss.

Re: James Clavell

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:02 am

If your child is a prodigy, my recommendation is to take their college money and hire very wise men whose leanings suit your child's particular brand of genius, or otherwise invest it, in consultation with your child, in projects that will actually nutrify their mind. Probably best first to let them taste freedom a few years. Like Nietzsche said, is it a crime not to know what you want to do with your life before you are 23?

And in this day and age, there is hardly a book you cannot buy for less than $500 (a day's tuition in many universities) that won't tell you what you need to know far better than any university course.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 pm

Done with Noble House and Tai-Pan, and now I don't know what to do with myself.

Reaching for Whirlwind with a trembling hand.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:03 pm

It is possible that Gideon Raff's "The Spy" show with Sacha Baron Cohen is an even better work on a similar subject.

It's less far-reaching, but because Raff is so well informed on the particulars of his more limited scope, and it is such a magnanimous hard scope, it might be superior.

To think that a dude like Eli Cohen existed blows the mind.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:05 pm

Fuck it all I'm re-watching it.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:25 am

It's funny, watching it this time around, the moment he does the slightest spy shit I get nervous and have to press pause.

Also, even though I had appreciated it before, I have a million times more appreciation for the acting. The dicator guy is particularly well played, and Baron Cohen's nervous energy is excellently suited.

I don't know if I will finish the episode today, it's that bad.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:36 am

It also brings home the reality that a spy's real work is in not doing any spy shit at all. Just socializing, getting embedded in a millieu. For spy shit, you really shouldn't use a spy, you should use a special forces team, in and out. Of course, the problem is the debreifings.

But I am convinced that being up to date on the highest level thinking, simply by ingraciating yourself, would be ten times more valuable than stealing secret documents that would risk that insight. Of course, now and then a coup is always necessary, but it should be viewed as exceptional.

For debreifings, I suppose the only real way you could do it is by changing the method consistently. No method in itself is fullproof, and prolonging it would allow triangulation. In fact, probably the best way would be a set-up where another operative, not properly a spy, steals memos you write for your own records. All you do is make sure your recording process is known to the thief and consistent enough. Worse case scenario, the thief is caught and treated as a thief, not a spy, and your own cover is not blown even if you are "caught."

I don't mean to tell these people how to do their job or anything. But my word do I suffer when I see him sneaking around and shit. I can't see that the value of it justifies the risk, when his being privvy to the thinking of the leadership is itself extremely valuable.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:39 am

I can't do it, I'll finish it tomorrow.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:35 pm

I would make a terrible spy. I lack too much of a sense of us and them. I see only in intelligence and stupidity.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Previous

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment