Public Journal:

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Public Journal:

Postby d63 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:04 am

In a footnote from Ian Buchanan's guide to Jameson, he describes how a public health campaign in 1990's Australia went horribly wrong when they put up grisly images of car wrecks on billboards in order to discourage unsafe driving practices. What resulted was a kind of romanticism among young men of making it seem glamorous. And, no doubt, the romanticism coming from America in terms of James Dean's death played some part in that. And I can't help but feel there is some kind fundamental relationship at work here... But I'll that explain below.

Now while I don't have the understanding to attribute it Brecht's "estrangement effect" (that will take a couple more readings), I can cite a similar experience in America. The anti-drug films we were shown in grade and middle school in the 60's and 70's attempted to scare us away from psychedelics with their nightmarish portrayal of the experience -that is with some really cheesy effects. What they failed to understand was that horror was the bread and butter of our entertainment given the limited options available to us. What they managed to do, ironically, was intrigue us with it.

What I suddenly realize is the connection of sensibility at work here between Australia and America. I have, for some time, noted that of all advanced nations, Australia seems to have some important overlaps in sensibility with America: most notably those currents of cowboy-like hubris. The question I have to ask is if there is any connection there with the fact that it has been America and Australia that have mainly continued to embrace Deleuze while western Europe has largely moved on. Perhaps it could have to do with how, as is described in the book, many continental thinkers moved from the collective approach to Marx and on to the individual anarchism that we see in D & G's Anti-Oedipus.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

First we read, then we write. -Emerson.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

I refuse to be taken seriously.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

:me
d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 pm

"As Jameson observes in his seminal 1978 essay on psychoanalysis, 'Imaginary and Symbolic in Lacan', what is problematical about psychoanalytic criticism is not its insistence on the on the presence of 'Oedipal' complexes, but rather its failure to pay attention to 'the transformational process whereby such private materials become public. Jameson proposes that this transformational process, aestheticization process, as we might more properly call it, whereby the writer renders their private fancies publically can be understood in terms of Freud's analyses of the function of dream-work." -from Buchanan's guide to Jameson

Oh!!!! But it is more than that -as anyone knows who has had an addiction. Any physical withdrawal symptoms are understandable enough. There is nothing about them that should amaze us. What is amazing, though, is how those physical impulses can translate their selves into the kind of mind games that can take us back to our vices. I once managed to quit smoking for 3 years. But towards the end, I found myself having dreams in which I took a hit off a cigarette and found myself panicking in the dream. In other words, the latent content of my addiction (via aestheticization (managed to manifest in very well constructed/cognitive arguments for returning to my vice. You have to be amazed at the mind's capacity to translate something that base of the brain into something that diabolical.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

d63
ILP Legend

Postby d63 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:42 pm

As I have pointed out before, Lacanian Jouissance (as Žižek points out extensively throughout his writings (is ubiquitous throughout human experience in its recognition of the deep and intimate relationship between pleasure and displeasure. To summarize Lacan: when having sex we experience pleasure at a conscious level while experiencing displeasure at an unconscious one. This is why sex is always an experience of working toward a threshold that will take us out of a place that we’re really enjoying at the time. Lacan then reverses this to recognize that many of our psychological symptoms are the result of experiencing displeasure at a conscious level while actually taking pleasure in it at a subconscious one. And think about it: why else would we keep repeating behaviors that repeatedly give us displeasure unless they were, at some deeper level, actually giving us pleasure?

What I’ve recently come to realize, after reading the Life Explores issue Inside the Criminal Mind: Understanding How Bad People Think, is the extent to which the Jouissance dynamic plays in horror movies. Once again, we have to ask why we keep going back to something that on the surface gives us such displeasure. Why do we repeatedly put ourselves through this?

But the plot thickens when we consider a common trope in horror (an outright form of manipulation when we think about it). A character in the movie opens the basement door and proceeds cautiously down the stairs. We, of course, squirm and think:

YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We literally get angry at the character and may even feel a sense of justice served should that character get killed by whatever’s in the basement. Yet, at the same time, we feel fear for the character. It’s as if the trope manages to evoke hostility, which gives us displeasure at a conscious level, and converts that hostility into fear which also gives us displeasure. But you have to ask how, in the end, this all adds up to a desirable and even pleasant experience.

d63
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to The Sandbox