Inflation

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:
origami wrote:Three Mile island meltdown: Despite the media uproar and the de-commissioning of Reactor Unit 2 (where the facility's leak occurred), nobody actually died as a result of the accident or the radiation that came from the facility.


K: ahhh, no one died.... it must be safe then.. my bad...

Kropotkin


Lol what would you name as a thing that makes it unsafe then? If nobody dies from it, what is a reason to say it is unsafe?
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:29 pm

origami wrote:50 people died from the Chernobyl meltdown.


K: that must mean nuclear reactors are safe then?

Kropotkin
Now if only I could get the other "members of the collection of truth"
to put me on ignore, life would be good..

PK
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11189
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:31 pm

Hahahahahaha I don't know, what would you say it means?
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

A dark side of the wind industry that many media outlets have failed to report on is the thousands of documented cases of serious accidents. These include numerous documented cases of turbines falling over, blades flying off, injuries to workers and the public, and at least 99 reported fatality accidents.

Of the deaths, 67 were wind industry and direct supporters workers or small turbine operators and 32 were public fatalities.

Chernobyl is already doing better than wind turbines. I won't insult anyboy's intelligence by posting deaths of people resulting from failures in oil extraction or refining operations.
Last edited by origami on Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:33 pm

origami wrote:
Peter Kropotkin wrote:
origami wrote:Three Mile island meltdown: Despite the media uproar and the de-commissioning of Reactor Unit 2 (where the facility's leak occurred), nobody actually died as a result of the accident or the radiation that came from the facility.


K: ahhh, no one died.... it must be safe then.. my bad...

Kropotkin


Lol what would you name as a thing that makes it unsafe then? If nobody dies from it, what is a reason to say it is unsafe?


K: my friend had her car recalled recently... the brakes would suddenly
come on and stop the car.. on freeways and other random places.. no one died,
so that must mean that the car is safe because no one died...
I assume then you would happily drive that car? I will let her know
she has a buyer for her car...

Kropotkin
Now if only I could get the other "members of the collection of truth"
to put me on ignore, life would be good..

PK
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11189
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:35 pm

On the other hand, I can quote millions of deaths that have been caused by failed brakes. How many can you quote from nuclear energy?
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Chernobyl is essencially a worst case scenario nuclear energy catastrophy. And 50 peple died. Including from delayed effects of radiation.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:44 pm

What's the matter, are you running out of fear to monger?

What's next, the fact that prices have gone up 8% accross the board is unrelated to oil, a basic material needed for all stages of production for all industries, going up at least 200%, 300% if measured from just before to highest point?

Russia must be assailed at all costs? We must fear Russia more than we dislike prices going up arbitrarily?

What's next? What should the people fear that is going to cost them tens of billions of dollars?
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Nobody is buying this stupid shit anymore.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:56 pm

Maybe we should fear an obscene joke from Trump.

"OMG he said ass!!!"
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 pm

as I mentioned, there is a zone setting Chernobyl apart from
the rest of the country... that zone is called the
"Chernobyl exclusion zone" which covers an area of roughly
a 1,000 miles... Russia which is a rather larger country can
separate out something a 1,000 miles... now put a 1,000 miles
from say, Chicago... that would mean we could not have
inhabited cites within a 1,000 miles... it would mean we
have isolated everything a 1,000 miles from Chicago...
which is basically everything on the east coast and out to maybe
Denver and down to Florida... up to Canada...

but hay, that means us on the west coast, we are safe..
and I'm good with this... ( and I say this having grown up outside
of Chicago and have most of my family living within 600 miles of
Chicago)

Kropotkin
Now if only I could get the other "members of the collection of truth"
to put me on ignore, life would be good..

PK
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11189
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Inflation

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:07 pm

origami: Maybe we should fear an obscene joke from Trump.

"OMG he said ass!!!"

K: no one has ever seen IQ45 laugh... the man has no sense
of humor of any kind.. he couldn't tell a joke to save his life...
probably because he is the biggest joke in America today..


Kropotkin
Now if only I could get the other "members of the collection of truth"
to put me on ignore, life would be good..

PK
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11189
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Just because the government says that area has to be closed off, doesn't mean it actually has to be.

In fact, you could go visit the core of the Chernobyl site today, and be just fine. It is not dangerous.

This is why, of all the accidents in nuclear operations in the US you quoted earlier, no exclusion zzones of any magnitude have been necessary.

If radiation at dngerous levels really spread out over a 1000 mile area, the wind would carry it and kill people elsewhere. It didn't.

So maybe radiation isn't a magic demon force, but a momentary flash that disippates fairly quickly and only dangerous to people in the vicinity.

You know, like the science and the history shows.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Peter Kropotkin wrote:origami: Maybe we should fear an obscene joke from Trump.

"OMG he said ass!!!"

K: no one has ever seen IQ45 laugh... the man has no sense
of humor of any kind.. he couldn't tell a joke to save his life...
probably because he is the biggest joke in America today..


Kropotkin


He laughs all the time. It's just that a person consumed by bitterness like you doesn't even perceive laughter when it happens.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 am

origami wrote:It's funny, I both intensely hate and love that guy.


I hated him the first time I heard of him 10 years ago. I was in England back then, so that's why. Now that he speaks against NWO agenda and whatnot I kind of no longer do. And he's from England, so he can't really be that bad of a comedian, can't he? Nothing is worse than an American when it comes to comedy (and British people tend to be pretty good at it.)
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 am

origami wrote:He laughs all the time. It's just that a person consumed by bitterness like you doesn't even perceive laughter when it happens.


He obviously missed all those Trump gifs.
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6114
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:49 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:
origami wrote:He laughs all the time. It's just that a person consumed by bitterness like you doesn't even perceive laughter when it happens.


He obviously missed all those Trump gifs.


He would probably miss a beautiful woman walking right in front of him.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:32 am

The Fed started printing untold trillions of dollars and most of it is going unaccounted for.

Whomever ordered this and controls it, is responsible for weakening the US, and therefore the world, economy.

I suspect the WEF decided to weaken the Dollar, to prepare for whatever they have planned next.


World power is shifting out of the hands of USA, and toward Globalists/Internationalists.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7941
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:35 pm

Printing money if fine. In fact, the Fed is now printing less money (that's what higher rates in practice means).

What matters is that there is economic activity to back up the value of that new money.

We are now in a recession, and oil is at almost all time highs.

Bye bye dollar value. See you.

It will have its benefits, it will make US manufacturing more competitive. But that would be a good thing as part of a considered economic policy, not these nutjobs bankrupting the planet.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:43 pm

Here is how printing money works:

Imagine you have 2 stocks of Apple, and Apple has 100 stocks. So you own 2% of Apple. The totality of the value of all Apple stocks is about $1000, so you essencially own $20. One day, Apple finds itself needing cash, and it issues new stock, so that Apple has 200 stocks, and your 2 stocks are now 1%. But the price of apple stock went up too, and the totality of Apple stocks is about $2000, so you still basically own $20.

If Apple issues new stock, but there is nothing to support the value of this new stock, then your 2 stocks go down in value.

It's the same thing with money. Each dollar is essencially a stock in the US government.

In practice, the government likes to make sure that the amount of printing slightly outpaces the value of the dollar, for many reasons. If money gains value or stays the same, it loses its value as currency, as nobody will want to spend something that holds or gains value. If they let it get out of hand, then nobody will want to hold any dollars at all, because every second they have dollars they get significantly poorer. This ideal rate is somewhere between 2 and 3% inflation.

Right now, we are at about 8% inflation or more, even though the government is printing less money. This is because, even though the rate of money printing has decreased, the price of the dollar has decreased faster. There are less things you can do even with the current amount of existing dollars. Just like Apple stock can go down in price without Apple issuing any new stock.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Re: Inflation

Postby origami » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:05 pm

Raising interest rates means that it becomes more expensive for any bank to borrow from the Federal Reserve. So less money is printed, because less money is borrowed. It also means that anybody that wants to get a loan from a bank will also have to pay higher interest rates, and pass closer scrutiny from the bank, right at a time when the economy is crashing and companies are in dire need of money.

So what these rate hikes are doing is basically guaranteeing that a recession happens, and that it gets as bad as absolutely possible.

Borrowing money is expensive.

Making things is expensive, because oil is $120.

Whatever inventory you have left, nobody wants to buy even at the old prices, because they are going broke too, and you can't sell it at the old prices, because the price of oil makes the cost of your inventory to you higher. Where you would want to lower prices to attract buyers in an economy where demand is low, you actually have to raise them.

This is what is known as stagflation.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
origami
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron