Kemi Badenoch on Knife Violence

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Kemi Badenoch on Knife Violence

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:52 am

Only by making a virtue of stupidity can communism ever thrive.
There's no one thing that's true. It's all true.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:44 am

What does conservatism mean in the United States? What do they seek to conserve?

Fucking freedom you dopey asshole.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:19 pm

origami wrote:Kemi Badenoch made an argument recently that I thought excellently describes the good guy with a gun thesis. Because guns are simply illegal in England, she was discussing the relationship between knife possession and knife violence. It's gratifying to me that she uses an example that is close to my heart.

Kemi Badenoch grew up in Nigeria. As part of her school curriculum, there was a kind of labour/gardening requirement. Because of the characteristics of Nigerian weather and flora, a machete is required for this task. This meant that every single child (child, mind you) that went to that school was issued with a machete. They did not lock up the machetes after use, Kemi Badenoch slept with one under her bed.

Every single person in that school, if you will, was armed with a machete.

There was 0 machete violence.

I assume this is in response to some rightard women who said knifings were more common in the UK than the US, because you are not allowed to have guns??
I think it is worthwhile to note that knife crime is ALSO much higher in the USA than in the UK. SO using that as an excuse to justify gun ownership is a joke.

You concluding remarks are off the wall meaningless.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:20 pm

Dan~ wrote:I think your post displays a clear message.
Just because someone has a potential weapon,
doesn't mean they will ever use it on other people.

No it means that if they do not have the opportunity to use a weapon then they cannot use it.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:21 pm

MagsJ wrote:_
Knife crime is spawned by greed.. drug sellers robbing each other at knife-point.. sometimes those knives get used.

They make money by selling drugs.. then they wanna take money, to make more money, off of others also selling drugs.

The only way to stop knife crime is to give attackers proper jail sentences.. judges were relentlessly consecutively-lenient on the accused, because the accused were mostly young poor males with a sob-story to tell.

There is a very easy solution to this one: legalise all drugs.

It is shown to be working very well in many places.
Put the money now used on policing the drug war, and on the prison places and spend it on drug rehab and food banks.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:22 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:yes. those young, poor, greedy people with sob stories need to be punished harder. that's it.

Yeah, just mince the poor into Soylent Green, and feed it to the pigs!!
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:25 pm

origami wrote:I think the question that is being posed, with some justice, is whether anybody is compelled to give a shit once you go out and start stabbing people on the streets.

I myself am not a fan of the police, but I for damn sure am against prohibiting people from carrying knives because some low life couldn't be bothered to moderate his conduct.

In any case, it is not knives that stab people. People stab people.

No people do not stab people. People with knives stab people.
And people with guns shoot people; mainly the police.

It takes a lot more balls to stab a person. Guns make it so easy.

It is hard for a child to accidentally stab his mum by finding a knife in her purse, but easy to pull a trigger..
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:27 pm

origami wrote:Let me tell you something, in places where there is no law, people like that simply get lynched.

Please cite!

Oh.. can't you? Where the fuck are you talking about? A weird place in your fantasy land?
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:47 pm

Shut up spaz.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:04 pm

The difference between Smears and you is that Smears could would probably survive a lawless environment. He just uses the state as a revenge tool for a group of people he resents. But you could actually not survive without the state.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:00 pm

What is smear's problem? That he doesn't believe he can join the land owning class.

Now, this is true for a lot of people. But the reason it is a problem in smears's case is that he actually has ambition. To have the ambition, the thirst, and the simultaneous belief that he is barred from true success drives him crazy. Like it would any competitive person.

It's a lie of course. At the beginning of every land owning line is someone who was born without much and made a lot during his life.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby origami » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:03 pm

People that aren't ambitious, like you, are divided into two types:

Those that know they can't survive on their own merit, that's you, and those who know they can.

Those who know they can simply want to be allowed to do it. This is Trump's base. They are experts at some craft, for example, and just want the red tape to disappear for them to do it. They get satisfaction from earning their living. They don't resent the land owning class because they never had that ambition themselves. They see them as partners. And they are correct.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:02 pm

Sculptor wrote:
Knife crime is spawned by greed.. drug sellers robbing each other at knife-point.. sometimes those knives get used.

They make money by selling drugs.. then they wanna take money, to make more money, off of others also selling drugs.

The only way to stop knife crime is to give attackers proper jail sentences.. judges were relentlessly consecutively-lenient on the accused, because the accused were mostly young poor males with a sob-story to tell.

All drugs? I don’t know about that/all..

Which places?

Put the money now used on policing the drug war, and on the prison places and spend it on drug rehab and food banks.

Food banks.. yea, but drug rehab can become a habit by breeding new habits, that then also require rehab.. I’m sure that more 'successful' alternatives have been looked into.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Sculptor » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:06 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Sculptor wrote:

All drugs? I don’t know about that/all..

Which places?

Food banks.. yea, but drug rehab can become a habit by breeding new habits, that then also require rehab.. I’m sure that more 'successful' alternatives have been looked into.

Portugal for one.
Holland has a very liberal policy
And several US states have decriminalised Cannabis.

But why not all drugs?
Drugs have only been made illegal recently.

The war on drugs has not slowed the supply down one jot!
All it has done is fuelled large scale crime rings and impoverished the users, and those that they steal from to get their fixes.
What could be worse?

What would be better is to free up the police to deal with more serious crimes, and release cash to look at the causes of drug taking, and rehab those that want to avoid them.

IN my life I have had: several of the types of cannabis; crack, coke, opium, Magic Mushrooms, LSD acid, MDMA, various types of speed, Alcohol (legal and illegal), Tobacco, Valium, Morphine, other opioids.

I have never had trouble getting the drugs and never in a situation where I thought I might get caught.

The only thing on the list I felt addicted to was tobacco.
Drug taking is a victimless crime. But why is it a crime at all? What right has the government to stop me?

The only way drug taking is NOT victimless is the fact that it being illegal has made victims of the dealers and the violence that ensues from dealing.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:56 pm

So when you make drugs illegal, you don't actually make it more difficult for people to obtain them? It's all the same as if they were freely available (not to mention marketed)?
Magnus Anderson
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:53 am

..to cut a long story short.. they were tryna make the locals their b*tches and run the block/s. In being known for stabbing people up, they were tryna make everyone fear them so that they would hand over their money and drugs without a fuss, each and every time. Dealers gotta pay suppliers, and would you like to be out of pocket when it came to paying your supplier, with neither the drugs nor the earnings from them to pay them back with.

Because you hate police, you would allow the situation / emotion over reason.. you for real? This is insane thinking.

Someone needs to change their name.. as well as their signature.

drug dealers working on credit omglolwtf i cant even
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:56 am

Sculptor wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:yes. those young, poor, greedy people with sob stories need to be punished harder. that's it.

you know some parts of that movie were filmed in birmingham where i'm from
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:57 am

origami wrote:The difference between Smears and you is that Smears could would probably survive a lawless environment. He just uses the state as a revenge tool for a group of people he resents. But you could actually not survive without the state.

wait who do i resent? i've got nothing but love in my heart for all of humanity
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:01 am

origami wrote:What is smear's problem? That he doesn't believe he can join the land owning class.

Now, this is true for a lot of people. But the reason it is a problem in smears's case is that he actually has ambition. To have the ambition, the thirst, and the simultaneous belief that he is barred from true success drives him crazy. Like it would any competitive person.

It's a lie of course. At the beginning of every land owning line is someone who was born without much and made a lot during his life.

i mean if i just wanted some land i could just buy any old piece of land right now it's just that im picky and i kind of would like to get a really good deal on a place that i really like and im also indecisive so i can't decide where i want to live in the event that i sign a mortgage or something and then be stuck there. there are houses in the hood around bham that cost less than a nice car but i just don't want those.
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:So when you make drugs illegal, you don't actually make it more difficult for people to obtain them? It's all the same as if they were freely available (not to mention marketed)?

in america it's easier to get prescription painkillers on the street without a prescription than it is to get them from a doctor, and if you don't have health insurance as many do not, it might actually be cheaper
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby MagsJ » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:51 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:
MagsJ wrote:..to cut a long story short.. they were tryna make the locals their b*tches and run the block/s. In being known for stabbing people up, they were tryna make everyone fear them so that they would hand over their money and drugs without a fuss, each and every time. Dealers gotta pay suppliers, and would you like to be out of pocket when it came to paying your supplier, with neither the drugs nor the earnings from them to pay them back with.

Because you hate police, you would allow the situation / emotion over reason.. you for real? This is insane thinking.

Someone needs to change their name.. as well as their signature?

drug dealers working on credit omglolwtf i cant even

We’re talking about those at the very bottom of that food chain.. avoiding the question, I see. Ok!

It’s not those higher up, that need to defend them-self with a knife, on a street level.. we’re talking about those that need to use knives. Keep up.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:06 am

for me, i always used my words. people need to use their words, not knives. also, just pay for the drugs. going around in life like worried about some movie scene big mean drug dealer that you owe money to coming to beat you up for money is just wild. just pay for the drugs man
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:07 am

like why would i trust someone to owe me some money if that person didn't even have any money? out here selling drugs and can't even manage to get a little bankroll to pay up front? madness. get a job
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby origami » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:32 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:So when you make drugs illegal, you don't actually make it more difficult for people to obtain them? It's all the same as if they were freely available (not to mention marketed)?

It's funny, back when I did drugs I was against them being legalized. I didn't want such a pure thing polluted by the state.

Some people like to sniff on that asshole though.
Ernest Hemingway
origami
Philosopher

Postby Sculptor » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:20 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:
Sculptor wrote:

you know some parts of that movie were filmed in birmingham where i'm from

Aye.
Its a Brum ting

Unless you come from Alabama then you wont know WTF I am talking about.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Society, Government, and Economics