Poll: What motivates your behavior?

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

What motivates your behavior?

A. avoid displeasure, seek pleasure
14%
B. others’ approval
43%
C. internal locus of joy regardless of (dis)pleasure, or (dis)approval
43%

Total votes : 7

Re: Poll: What motivates your behavior?

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:06 am

So. In the other thread you were saying doing something with your body and not just your spirit is important to you. Does your patch resolve that?

Seriously, I don’t even care about your answer. I already know it doesn’t. You’d rather lose your freaking mind on a god delusion than ask a real God to help you see with his eyes.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Follow me for more excuses.
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:21 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Why not? They should. I’d do it for them.

lol That sounds like something I would say - have said. But do they really have to? Should they because "I" would? Do they have to "reciprocate?
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:28 pm

Ichthus77"

You’d rather lose your freaking mind on a god delusion than ask a real God to help you see with his eyes.

How would you go about discerning, Ichthus, when you are ACTUALLY seeing with His eyes and not just seeing how YOU want things to look or be? That IS important to know. I mean besides perhaps bible verses.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:37 pm

Does the Board only give three options or is that your choice? There ought to be more - like seeking balance, seeking fairness.

Insofar as the three are concerned, sure, at different times they motivate my behavior to some degree but there are also underlying choices which we may not even be aware of.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:00 pm

Arcturus, no one has to treat the other as self. It is always a choice. Not like obeying gravity.

The Bible records the history of how God has shown who he is to us, and who we are to him & each other. It boils down & adds up to treating others as selves.

Seeing with his eyes sees others as selves & self as others. It builds/branches from there.

Does seeking balance or fairness bring you pleasure? Do you do it for approval? When you don’t find it, does it rob your joy-despite-(dis)pleasure/(dis)approval?

Thanks. If I don’t reply immediately, it’s a school day.

- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:01 pm

"Ichthus77" wrote:

Arcturus, no one has to treat the other as self. It is always a choice. Not like obeying gravity.

This is true. It is a choice. For some, treating others as they would treat themselves might not be a good thing. We do not always treat ourselves in the best possible way.

The Bible records the history of how God has shown who he is to us, and who we are to him & each other. It boils down & adds up to treating others as selves.

That would be providing that we took the wisdom and knowledge from the bible; for instance, proverbs, and applied it to ourselves and then others.

Seeing with his eyes sees others as selves & self as others. It builds/branches from there.

Is that such an easy thing for you to do though?

Does seeking balance or fairness bring you pleasure?

I would not say pleasure. Eating peanut butter cups and walking in the rain gives me pleasure. Striving for balance gives me focus, can be challenging, not necessarily pleasurable, but where else would one want to be? The same with fairness. That is helping to right the world a bit each time.
More a sense of peace, not pleasure, although unconsciously, who knows? Perhaps a wee bit.

Do you do it for approval? When you don’t find it, does it rob your joy-despite-

You mean seeking balance and fairness?
My whole life I have been seeking balance and I am a libra. lol Means nothing of course.
Yes, of course, when we seek balance and that is off a bit or more, sure it robs me of some joy. I think sometimes forgetting to seek balance in a good way - not being so attached to being "there" can help the joy to flow more naturally. I may be wrong though.

It is more or less the same with fairness. One might say that fairness is a kind of balance but of the heart not so much the mind, if that made sense to you.

Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 pm

Sorry, Arc. Just saw this. I think pleasure, when we move to the third option, is encompassed as the sort of satisfaction I talk about here, and enables us to encompass serving others as if serving God, whose love we always have: https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.p ... 8#p2882318

- Irenaeus

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics