Squared Circle

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: Squared Circle

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:59 pm

I want him to say it.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:00 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:So what you're saying is, if I measure the surface area of a sphere, and I take the square root of that number, it won't allow me to draw a circle that will perfectly encase the sphere?

Is that what you are goddamn motherfucking telling me?

Area is 2 dimensional. If you take the surface area of a sphere, and lay it flat into a 2 dimensional plane, you get what looks like a flat map of Earth, which is broken up, misconfigured BULLSHIT! YOUR mind makes sense of that flat map. Otherwise it is complete BS!
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:So what you're saying is, if I measure the surface area of a sphere, and I take the square root of that number, it won't allow me to draw a circle that will perfectly encase the sphere?

Not even close. :-?
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:02 pm

THE SQUARE ROOT OF THAT SURFACE AREA
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:03 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:

Is that what you are goddamn motherfucking telling me?

Area is 2 dimensional. If you take the surface area of a sphere, and lay it flat into a 2 dimensional plane, you get what looks like a flat map of Earth, which is broken up, misconfigured BULLSHIT! YOUR mind makes sense of that flat map. Otherwise it is complete BS!

The earth is an oblong sphere btw.

I want him to respond to this post.

https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 2#p2861662
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:Go to school, mate. I am not going to sit here trying to teach you high school maths (It was hard enough to bring myself to explain perimeter versus area to Ec).

When you tell me how you arrived at the coordinate 7.5,5.125 then we can make further progress. Until then you are BULLSHITTING. You refuse to acknowledge that pi needs to be a NUMBER, and when you give a finite number for pi, you TRUNCATED pi. That means you did not, nor is it possible to have a finite area of a circle with a truncated calculation of pi.
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:08 pm

-
Surface area of sphere = \(4\pi r^2\)
Sqrt of that would be \(2r\sqrt\pi\)
Area of circle - \(\pi r^2\)
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:
obsrvr524 wrote:Go to school, mate. I am not going to sit here trying to teach you high school maths (It was hard enough to bring myself to explain perimeter versus area to Ec).

When you tell me how you arrived at the coordinate 7.5,5.125 then we can make further progress. Until then you are BULLSHITTING. You refuse to acknowledge that pi needs to be a NUMBER, and when you give a finite number for pi, you TRUNCATED pi. That means you did not, nor is it possible to have a finite area of a circle with a truncated calculation of pi.

Don’t worry about obsrvr.

His numbers are not constants.

He’s using your logic and your arguing with him.

Silly if you ask me.

The thread is about whether a circle can equal a square.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:11 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:THE SQUARE ROOT OF THAT SURFACE AREA

That surface area is NOT a square, and it is not a circle.

A 2x2 square has an area of 4 square units. The square root of 4 is 2, so since it's a square, the square root of 4 means the sides are all 2.

The circumference of a circle is Pi x D. The area of a circle is pi(r^2). So you can calculate the area of a circle to be say 4 square units of area. 4 divided by 3.14159 will give you the diameter, which divided by 2 will give you the radius. Since the area is pi(r^2) you can divide the area by pi to arrive at r^2. THE SQUARE ROOT of r^2 is the radius.

So it works with squares and circle using square roots.

But take a flat map of Earth and how are you gonna use square root to figure out what?????
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:11 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:-
Surface area of sphere = 4πr2
Sqrt of that would be 2r√π
Area of circle - πr2

Perimeter of circle 2πr.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:11 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:-
Surface area of sphere = \(4\pi r^2\)
Sqrt of that would be \(2r\sqrt\pi\)
Area of circle - \(\pi r^2\)

Still no 7.5,5.125!! LOL
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 pm

I'm talking about the perimeter of the circle as compared to the surface area of the sphere, not the area of the circle.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 pm

Circum-spherence.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm

But none of that will make sense, if you stick to the idiocy that there is no correspondence between a circle and a sphere.

I have never heard such a banality in all of the days of my life.
Last edited by Pedro I Rengel on Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby obsrvr524 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:

When you tell me how you arrived at the coordinate 7.5,5.125 then we can make further progress. Until then you are BULLSHITTING.

Okay mate - that saves me the trouble of having to detail out the much more accurate procedure that yields a circle with area = 1.00000000000118...

You are on your own.
              You have been observed.

obsrvr524
Philosopher

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:

Dude is right though.

If you have to round off at a certain order of fraction, it is not actually pi.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I'm talking about the perimeter of the circle as compared to the surface area of the sphere, not the area of the circle.

And I am telling you that AREA is a TWO DIMENSIONAL calculation. The Earth is 3 dimensional. A 2 dimensional map of Earth is in NO WAY a representation of a 3 dimensional object. LOOK AT A MAP OF EARTH. It is not a circle, and is not a square. IT is like camel humps. LOL

It is YOUR BRAIN that interprets that map into some form of useable information. Otherwise it is total BS!
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Here’s a question. What shape happens when you spin a square so its center stays in one spot but its four corners rotate to touch all possible points around the center?
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:17 pm

He has a right to ask for the mathematical operation used.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby MagsJ » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 pm

_
I love these kinds of threads and discussions.. :)
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:I'm talking about the perimeter of the circle as compared to the surface area of the sphere, not the area of the circle.

And I am telling you that AREA is a TWO DIMENSIONAL calculation. The Earth is 3 dimensional. A 2 dimensional map of Earth is in NO WAY a representation of a 3 dimensional object. LOOK AT A MAP OF EARTH. It is not a circle, and is not a square. IT is like camel humps. LOL

It is YOUR BRAIN that interprets that map into some form of useable information. Otherwise it is total BS!

Look fella. Stop all this because you are saying some stupid shit.

Whatever point you want to make, is cancelled the moment you commit to the statement that there is no correspondence between a sphere and a circle.

This is... this is worse than bad.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:18 pm

Now I going to fuck with you guys.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed right?

Even if you cut a sphere into the teeniest sliver at the largest end in the center... and blew all the rest up...

Did you destroy the sphere or not?

This is a metaphysical question.

You may have encrypted it, but did you destroy it?

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:21 pm

Ecmandu wrote:

Now I going to fuck with you guys.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed right?

Even if you cut a sphere into the teeniest sliver at the largest end in the center... and blew all the rest up...

Did you destroy the sphere or not?

This is a metaphysical question.

You may have encrypted it, but did you destroy it?

Your problem is that you are thinking in terms of matter. Which is understandable because you arrived at this somehow through dumb everyday notions. but if you drop the word matter, you are actually eye to eye with the highest avantgarde of tested physics.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:21 pm

Iow, it's not actually metaphysical.

You're welcome.
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Motor Daddy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:22 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
Motor Daddy wrote:

Look fella. Stop all this because you are saying some stupid shit.

Whatever point you want to make, is cancelled the moment you commit to the statement that there is no correspondence between a sphere and a circle.

This is... this is worse than bad.

There is ZERO correspondence between a circle and a sphere. A circle is an area of TWO DIMENSIONS and a sphere is an object of 3 DIMENSIONS. You can not transform a 3 dimensional object into a 2 dimensional area. IT CAN'T BE DONE!
Motor Daddy
Philosopher

PreviousNext

Return to Science, Technology, and Math