Sorting Cattle

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Sorting Cattle

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:52 am

There is a famous autistic cattlewoman (with many doctorates in psychology and such) who realized that cattlemen were scaring the shit out of cattle when they were sorting them by making them go through transparent fences with straight, jagged angles. She suggested that much less livestock would be lost and the process would be much easier (thus less expensive) if the fences were made opaque and curved out, obviously the design was much more specific and complex, so that the cows felt at peace during the sorting process.

This was very succesful.

What do you think: is it better to ease the minds of the cattle, also thereby reducing loss of capital, or is there something ceremonially important about the ritual of scaring the shit out of the animals as they get herded? Are we cheating nature out of something by making the experience soothing and without clear transition? Or is it just a win-win all around?
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Re: Sorting Cattle

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:55 am

This is her:

Temple Grandin
Temple Grandin.jpg
Temple Grandin.jpg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Pedro I Rengel
ᛈᛖᛉᛖᛉ

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:43 am

a lot of people are really big on the whole "it is good to minimize suffering" bit
pending
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Sculptor » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:28 am

Pedro I Rengel wrote:There is a famous autistic cattlewoman (with many doctorates in psychology and such) who realized that cattlemen were scaring the shit out of cattle when they were sorting them by making them go through transparent fences with straight, jagged angles. She suggested that much less livestock would be lost and the process would be much easier (thus less expensive) if the fences were made opaque and curved out, obviously the design was much more specific and complex, so that the cows felt at peace during the sorting process.

This was very succesful.

What do you think: is it better to ease the minds of the cattle, also thereby reducing loss of capital, or is there something ceremonially important about the ritual of scaring the shit out of the animals as they get herded? Are we cheating nature out of something by making the experience soothing and without clear transition? Or is it just a win-win all around?

What the fuck is a transparent fence??
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 pm

_
Apparently, non-petrified meat tastes better.. probably due to cortisol and other chemicals not being released during the slaughtering process.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Return to Science, Technology, and Math