"0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consistent

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:38 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Is it not spacetime that moves relative to light?

If that's your point of view, what happens to space-time when two photons arrive at nearly the same location from opposite directions? Space-time moved one way relative to one photon, and the other way relative to the other photon?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:49 pm

If I’m not talking gibberish: If matter is slowed up energy, then a photon doesn’t approach a photon (if true energy), but is everywhere already. When energy is released it returns to everywhere. But how it is “felt” (sensed) in spacetime is slowed up because we aren’t just energy.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:38 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:Are you another James S Saint follower?


No, I'm an Einstein debunker. MD's Box proves it.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:44 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:If I’m not talking gibberish: If matter is slowed up energy, then a photon doesn’t approach a photon (if true energy), but is everywhere already. When energy is released it returns to everywhere. But how it is “felt” (sensed) in spacetime is slowed up because we aren’t just energy.


Energy is not a substance, it is a mathematical calculation of power multiplied by time.

A toaster plugged into a 120 volt outlet, drawing 10 amps of current is 1,200 Watts of power. If the toaster consumes 1,200 Watts for 2 minutes it consumed 1,200 x 2 = 2,400 watt-minutes of ENERGY. Power x time = energy. It is a calculated number, not an object.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm

numbers don’t explode or heat stuff

they just explode or heat stuff… better
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:24 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:numbers don’t explode or heat stuff

they just explode or heat stuff… better


Man-Hours don't explode or heat stuff either. Man-Hours are a CALCULATION of people and time.

4 workers for 1 hour is 4 man-hours.
1 worker for 4 hours is 4 man-hours.

Energy is the same concept, it is a CALCULATION of power and time.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:02 pm

triggered

e=mc^2 doesn’t include time duration
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:10 pm

feels like conservation requires my instinct/intuition be accurate on this, but. what do i know?
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:17 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:triggered

e=mc^2 doesn’t include time duration


Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time
Energy = Power x Time

Sooooooo:

Energy = ((Force x Distance)/Time) x Time
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:35 pm

you are an ass
a=force
s1=energy
s2=power

sooooooo ass=e^3
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:39 pm

Motor Daddy wrote:Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time
Energy = Power x Time

Energy and work are synonymous?
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby obsrvr524 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:Found this stackoverflow answer on this topic

https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/282877/73404

and this wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyl%27s_tile_argument

I have never heard a sensible argument for space being granular - but I have never looked for one. Those you sited just say that someone said such and such - no actual argument. I would like to hear even one. The existence of circles proves continuous space for me.
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:10 pm

obsrvr524 wrote:
Flannel Jesus wrote:Found this stackoverflow answer on this topic

https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/282877/73404

and this wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyl%27s_tile_argument

I have never heard a sensible argument for space being granular - but I have never looked for one. Those you sited just say that someone said such and such - no actual argument. I would like to hear even one. The existence of circles proves continuous space for me.

You might have misread something. Those are both literally reiterations of the argument you were making, against discrete space, and for continuous space.
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby obsrvr524 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:17 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:You might have misread something. Those are both literally reiterations of the argument you were making, against discrete space, and for continuous space.

I understood that but when they mention a counter-argument - it is just a hear-say presentation - ""Kris McDaniel says ---".
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:44 pm

They give a source with an ISBN.
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby obsrvr524 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:58 pm

-
I am sure I could eventually run something down - just don't really have the time right now.
              You have been observed.
    Though often tempted to encourage a dog to distinguish color I refuse to argue with him about it
    It's just the same Satanism as always -
    • separate the bottom from the top,
    • the left from the right,
    • the light from the dark, and
    • blame each for the sins of the other
    • - until they beg you to take charge.
    • -- but "you" have been observed --

The prospect of death weighs naught upon the purpose of life - James S Saint - 2009
obsrvr524
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4231
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:30 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:
Motor Daddy wrote:Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time
Energy = Power x Time

Energy and work are synonymous?


Power is the rate at which work is done. Energy factors in time.

Amps x volts = watts. A 120 volt .5 amp light bulb is a 60 watt light bulb. 60 watts is the power, which has no clue how long you leave the light on. Leave that 60 watt light bulb on for 100 hours and you've consumed 60 x 100 = 6,000 watt-hours of energy (6 kw-hrs of energy), which is power x time, which is ((force x distance)/time) x time.

Simples.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 pm

But you didn't answer my question
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:21 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:But you didn't answer my question


The answer to your question is no.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Flannel Jesus » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:45 pm

But when you divide and multiply by the same value, they cancel out.

Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time
Energy = Power x Time

Energy = work x time / time
Time / time = 1
Energy = work
User avatar
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:01 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by Motor Daddy on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm

Flannel Jesus wrote:But when you divide and multiply by the same value, they cancel out.

Work = Force x Distance
Power = Work / Time
Energy = Power x Time

Energy = work x time / time
Time / time = 1
Energy = work


Power is work divided by time, not work x time.
Energy is power x time.

Power would be the RATE of work. It is how much work is being done per second, or minute, or hour.

Energy is taking that rate of work, say 60 watts, and multiplying the rate times the duration of work.

It is similar to saying the rate of motion is 3 feet per second, and then multiplying that rate by 10 seconds to arrive at a distance traveled of 30 feet.

3 feet per second is the rate of travel. Take that rate and multiply it by the duration of travel to arrive at 30 feet traveled.

There is rate and there is duration, they do not cancel out.
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 pm

If power is work/time, & work is energy transferred, then energy does not include duration.

*mic drop*
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Motor Daddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:30 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:If power is work/time, & work is energy transferred, then energy does not include duration.

*mic drop*


Energy factors in duration. Look at your electric bill, it will tell you how many kw-hr of ENERGY you used.

A 60 watt light bulb is the rate of work, which is the power of the light bulb. Energy factors in duration, and the electric company keeps track of the kw-hr, and get this...they BILL YOU FOR YOUR ENERGY USE. Can you believe it???

They actually meter the Kilowatt-Hours you use and make you pay for it!
User avatar
Motor Daddy
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Re: "0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consist

Postby Ichthus77 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:32 am

.

Motor Daddy wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:Question. Is it light that travels through spacetime, or other way around? (spacetime, not BeingTime)


Light travels a distance over a duration of time in space.

Space is the infinite volume of existence, irrespective of objects. Space is infinite distance in every direction.

There is 1 gallon of space in a 1 gallon gas can, regardless of how much gas is in the can. The can has a 3 dimensional distance (volume) irrespective of the gas, and that space is measured as 3 dimensional distance.

"Space" has no borders, it continues in every direction infinitely. Light travels in that space a distance per duration of time. Light travel time defines the unit of distance "Meter."

If light travels in space for 1/299,792,458 of a second the distance it traveled is 1 meter.

Objects in relative motion to space will not measure the light to travel that 1 meter compared to their reference frame, because they are in motion in space.


Space is something irremovable from objects & vice versa. Light is energy & determines time, so for it time stops, no? Then, too, motion. Is it not spacetime that moves relative to light? Is the speed of light not actually the speed of spacetime?

Flannel Jesus wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:Is it not spacetime that moves relative to light?

If that's your point of view, what happens to space-time when two photons arrive at nearly the same location from opposite directions? Space-time moved one way relative to one photon, and the other way relative to the other photon?


Motor Daddy wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:If I’m not talking gibberish: If matter is slowed up energy, then a photon doesn’t approach a photon (if true energy), but is everywhere already. When energy is released it returns to everywhere. But how it is “felt” (sensed) in spacetime is slowed up because we aren’t just energy.


Energy is not a substance, it is a mathematical calculation of power multiplied by time.

A toaster plugged into a 120 volt outlet, drawing 10 amps of current is 1,200 Watts of power. If the toaster consumes 1,200 Watts for 2 minutes it consumed 1,200 x 2 = 2,400 watt-minutes of ENERGY. Power x time = energy. It is a calculated number, not an object.


Motor Daddy wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:numbers don’t explode or heat stuff

they just explode or heat stuff… better


Man-Hours don't explode or heat stuff either. Man-Hours are a CALCULATION of people and time.

4 workers for 1 hour is 4 man-hours.
1 worker for 4 hours is 4 man-hours.

Energy is the same concept, it is a CALCULATION of power and time.


e=mc^2 doesn’t include time duration

feels like conservation requires my instinct/intuition be accurate on this, but. what do i know?

Motor Daddy wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:If power is work/time, & work is energy transferred, then energy does not include duration.

*mic drop*


Energy factors in duration. Look at your electric bill, it will tell you how many kw-hr of ENERGY you used.

A 60 watt light bulb is the rate of work, which is the power of the light bulb. Energy factors in duration, and the electric company keeps track of the kw-hr, and get this...they BILL YOU FOR YOUR ENERGY USE. Can you believe it???

They actually meter the Kilowatt-Hours you use and make you pay for it!


What if you work at the speed of light, and you ARE light? Do you get any work done? And do you go through spacetime to do it, or…? (P.s. See parts in bold above. Repeat typo?)
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
User avatar
Ichthus77
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6034
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm
Location: pale blue clump of star particles

PreviousNext

Return to Science, Technology, and Math



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users