The Thinker Is Not The Content of Thoughts

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

The Thinker Is Not The Content of Thoughts

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Since we can agree or disagree with thoughts and distract ourselves with other thoughts in order to stop thinking thoughts we disagree with,

then/because the content of thoughts are not essential to who we are…

therefore forgetting/unlearning the content of thoughts is not really a loss…

especially if all legit learning is really a remembering that builds on the basic substance from which we get our substance

So - the Word becoming a baby that had to learn/remember & grow … didn’t give up divine substance.

Just like our evil does not taint the divine substance we are in.

It is not what goes in from outside, but what comes out from inside that taints/purifies.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Re: The Thinker Is Not The Content of Thoughts

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:28 pm

This Op seems rather garbled to me. Perhaps I do not understand it. I can't figure out if the good that you say is the substance of thought is really an evil intrusion into an otherwise divine source. It is from what comes from without that defiles a person. Within, we are pure and righteous. Acceptance of evil is a thought. Acceptance of the good is awareness of spiritual reality. Which is it?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:23 am

Ierrellus wrote:This Op seems rather garbled to me. Perhaps I do not understand it. I can't figure out if the good that you say is the substance of thought is really an evil intrusion into an otherwise divine source. It is from what comes from without that defiles a person. Within, we are pure and righteous. Acceptance of evil is a thought. Acceptance of the good is awareness of spiritual reality. Which is it?

I agree with you, it isn’t very coherent.

It sounds like she’s talking about the experience of meditation, when thoughts just keep flooding your mind to begin with, and only after a while and more practice do you learn to let them pass. It is true that after a while you realise that you are the observer of those thoughts and that they seem to be coming from another place.

But then she goes on to make an analogy with the divine child, but she mixes it with the word of her thoughts. So then you have the confusion of distinguishing what she means. Clarity would help.
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:48 am

The title is interesting to me though. It seems the difference between me and an AI is that on the desk top that is my mind the data is processed by my experience. There is something that it is like to be me having the experience and processing the data. Does anyone one know who this experiencer/thinker is? How do we know there isn't one thinker who is doing all the thinking behind all our thoughts?
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:10 am

If thoughts are Ideas,
And Ideas are Viruses,
Then who creates them?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:49 am

When we don’t actively reject the privation (when we allow more than the good)—we are the intentional source of what comes out from inside that taints us—even if we first learned it from our internal/external environment.

What matters more than the environmental source of privation is just rejecting the cognitive distortion & holding fast to the good (whole) it implies.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:19 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:If thoughts are Ideas,
And Ideas are Viruses,
Then who creates them?

Perhaps the conscious and the unconscious mind creates them through what we observe, hear. touch, smell and taste in the world lol.
BE MELTING SNOW. WASH YOURSELF OF YOURSELF.

YOU WANDER FROM ROOM TO ROOM
HUNTING FOR THE DIAMOND NECKLACE
THAT IS ALREADY AROUND YOUR NECK!

DANCE UNTIL YOU SHATTER YOURSELF!

THERE IS A VOICE THAT DOESN'T USE WORDS. LISTEN!

LIFE IS A BALANCE BETWEEN HOLDING ON AND LETTING GO!

LET SILENCE TAKE YOU TO THE CORE OF LIFE!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:05 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:Perhaps the conscious and the unconscious mind creates them through what we observe, hear. touch, smell and taste in the world lol.

Somebody creates them, my dear, but not who you might first suspect.

How many of your thoughts, are actually "yours"?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality