A look forward in hope

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

A look forward in hope

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:34 am

As so often in human history, we stand at a point from which we do not know exactly where the road leads. The clouds of war and destruction are ominously close, hatred echoes in countries where we didn’t expect it, and insecurity spreads across the most populous countries where war has supposedly been banished. We thought we could move into a future free of armed conflict and export the prosperity we ourselves enjoy. However, we did not reckon with the corruption, nationalism, xenophobia, disorientation, and conspiracies that we ourselves partly caused. We have not integrated people who think differently, who imagine a different future, who have their own dreams, and we have not reckoned with the militant representatives of fundamentalist faiths who believe they have to defend their religion against a rampant atheism and decadence.

I think this is mainly because, although we had our own problems, we still considered ourselves better than those who had not achieved what we thought we had achieved. We couldn't even imagine how those we were supposedly trying to help would view us. We actively avoided seeing our societies through their eyes and self-critically assessing what we represented. This is not the first time we have done this. Indigenous societies have suffered time and again from our arrogance, and in the 17th century, indigenous representatives of what would later become North America and Canada looked upon our cities with disgust and took offense at being called "savages." It has been our own problems, which we seem to have always mentally repressed, that have been our undoing over and over again in the past centuries, and which today are contesting our supposed moral supremacy in the current conflicts.

The German philosopher Friedrich Hegel once said, "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history." As we follow current events, it seems that there is a real resistance to learning from history, so one has to wonder if we want to dare to look forward. The current cornerstones of our societies are being deconstructed by young people, with no real vision for the future. Many older people believe they can romanticise the past and do not see the need for self-criticism. Moral institutions undermine their authority through scandals caused by ideologically inflated delusions, and role models are sought among artificial figures who stand out through wealth and self-indulgence and are so morally unstable that they often fall prey to substance abuse at an early age.

Looking forward, we must ask ourselves if this is what we are trying to recommend ourselves with. Is it a basis for a future in which it becomes possible for as many people as possible to pursue a life according to their dreams, but also in which, those who struggle with disadvantages are also integrated? Many people experience the disadvantages of individualism, but still do not want to give it up, even though our society functions mainly through people competing to promote consumerism. This competition leads to conflicts and stress that make people sick, and causes subcultures of creativity to stand apart, contributing little to the shaping of society as a whole. There is a lack of collective effort to realize a common vision, because many see the reward for their effort flowing into corporations that build immense wealth but contribute nothing to the common good.

One vision that might help us achieve a semblance of hope is the idea of unity, which is surprisingly a vision of ancient traditions and a modern theory of reality. The origin of the material cosmos is a mystery that humanity has struggled to understand for millennia, and the idea that the universe is infinite and unitary seems to hold up. All of reality, visible and invisible, in this vision is permeated with consciousness. All points in space, time and consciousness are connected. Everything contains consciousness, in various degrees, without exception. And an underlying consciousness is the creator of reality, life, matter, energy, light and sound - and what humans have called God.

The strength of such a vision is that, with a degree of willingness, we can see how all faiths and concepts of reality converge on this understanding. It is a common denominator. Whatever name your tradition has used, Allah, YHWH, Brahman, Christ, Ein Sof, Krishna, Shiva, Vishnu, OM, Tao, Wakan Taka and many more, or whatever circumscription or euphemism you have used, if we can unite and accept that we all have discovered some aspect of the “Ground of Being” in our traditions, we could look ahead. Resistance to this only means further conflict and suffering.

What do you think?
The only wisdom we can hope to acquire
Is the wisdom of humility: humility is endless.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Re: A look forward in hope

Postby Sculptor » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:21 pm

If only the human being could learn to grow up and put aside his childhood of dependency on his various tribalisms and the infancy of religions.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Mad Man P » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:49 pm

Bob wrote:What do you think?

I have had trouble communicating my thoughts to you in the past, but there's an optimist inside me somewhere enticing me to try again, that perhaps an interesting dialogue could be had.

Resistance to this only means further conflict and suffering.

Yes it does... but it also means freedom of thought.
You can attempt to persuade, with the threat of conflict and suffering, but you are fighting the promise of freedom every damned time.

You cannot have freedom of thought, whether individual or tribal, without risking conflicts of interest.. and those risk devolving into hatred and malice.
How do you propose we retain people's freedom to think differently and never have it result in rejecting the "unifying force", in whatever form it may take?
How will you solve that problem, do you imagine?
We surrender our individuality, our loved ones, our hopes and dreams, we sacrifice them to a higher power for fear of conflict and war?

Fear might well quell your speech and action, but only until such a time when you believe you might win the war and finally be free...

I do not believe you've figured out how to square that circle... and yet that seems to be your claim, but perhaps I've misunderstood you.
Last edited by Mad Man P on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Mad Man P
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:58 pm

A slave consumes hope from others.
A master creates hope for himself.

Which one is the OP?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Sculptor » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:21 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:A slave consumes hope from others.
A master creates hope for himself.

Which one is the OP?

You do talk a lot of rot most of the time. And this is no exception.
Since a slave is not free, whatever he does is to be laid at the door of the Master. So it is bleeding obvious even to a weak minded person like yourself that slavery consumes hope. And it is the master doing the consuming.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm

Lol @ all of you when the Master who thinks your steps washes your feet in fire.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby felix dakat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:02 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Lol @ all of you when the Master who thinks your steps washes your feet in fire.

It seems like you’re just Master baiting.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Sculptor wrote:If only the human being could learn to grow up and put aside his childhood of dependency on his various tribalisms and the infancy of religions.

Could you imagine that the various religious traditions were each in their own way portraying a transition in human awareness and ability to think, which are still a part of our natural process of growing up (as in integral theory), from which lessons can be learned that could protect us from making mistakes that people of the past have made? The idea behind the transmission of these traditions is to enable the following generations to progress beyond the stage of past generations without going through the tribulations themselves.

The problems we are having with fundamentalism is due to the arrogance of societies that disregard their traditions, and which are conceived of as being a threat – which they are. Admittedly, this anxiety doesn’t enable the traditional societies to progress in awareness, but throws them back onto their traditions, which they attempt to protect by taking them literally. A natural progress is thereby inhibited and would be best assisted, if a universal acceptance of the cultural differences produced exemplary behaviour. Unfortunately, the societies that consider themselves more advanced do not display any signs of this.

The integral process of accepting the steps through which we grow as individuals and as societies as a natural development, which we encourage, could have the desired effect of advancing the awareness of all of humanity, and support the vision of a collective future.
TS Eliot
When you are out of touch with reality you will easily embrace a delusion, and equally put in doubt the most basic elements of existence. If this reminds you of the mindset of the present day materialist science and philosophy establishments, as well as of the loudest voices in the socio-political debate, we should not be particularly surprised, since they show all the signs of attending with the left hemisphere alone. I live in the hope that that may soon change: for without a change we are lost.
McGilchrist, Iain . The Matter With Things: Our Brains, Our Delusions and the Unmaking of the World (S.562). Perspectiva Press. Kindle-Version.
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:37 pm

felix dakat wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:Lol @ all of you when the Master who thinks your steps washes your feet in fire.

It seems like you’re just Master baiting.

My lips are hermetically sealed.

Sorry. It had to be said. How does one not??? It would’ve been a grave injustice that reverberated throughout all eternity.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:56 pm

Mad Man P wrote:I have had trouble communicating my thoughts to you in the past, but there's an optimist inside me somewhere enticing me to try again, that perhaps an interesting dialogue could be had.

Well, there is nothing like trying. I would put aside assumptions though that I consider myself capable of squaring the circle. I have put forward a thesis, as modest as it may appear, and I am asking for comments.

Mad Man P wrote:
Resistance to this only means further conflict and suffering.

Yes it does... but it also means freedom of thought.
You can attempt to persuade, with the threat of conflict and suffering, but you are fighting the promise of freedom every damned time.

You should do something about your English, it sounds very aggressive. You pursue an idea that you have set in your mind and fail to pick up on where people are going with their thoughts.

Conflict and suffering aren’t a threat, they are already here. I’m looking for a way to discontinue the bane of humanity, not propose a new threat. Freedom, as a famous songwriter noted, “well, that's just some people talkin'” as long as it doesn’t bring warmth and comfort to someone out in the cold. Our notion of freedom in as being as “free as a bird” is relatively modern individualistic idea, whereas freemen initially had the right to live within walls, safe from robbers and murderers.

Mad Man P wrote:You cannot have freedom of thought, whether individual or tribal, without risking conflicts of interest.. and those risk devolving into hatred and malice.
How do you propose we retain people's freedom to think differently and never have it result in rejecting the "unifying force", in whatever form it may take?
How will you solve that problem, do you imagine?
We surrender our individuality, our loved ones, our hopes and dreams, we sacrifice them to a higher power for fear of conflict and war?

The idea that we can’t accept that different cultures have developed different traditions is not what we are observing. In the individualistic West, various traditions are being “appropriated” all the time, which is negatively formulated, but is what has always gone on throughout history. We learn from each other, and as long as we pose no threat, we exchange ideas. There are people all across the globe developing cooperative methods of sustainable living, but the ideology of competition prevents us from making progress.

We have also witnessed a cross-cultural understanding amongst some of the most conservative traditions, and a common agreement that each tradition must continue to progress in its own way. In fact, if you take the example of some of the pioneers of cross-cultural discussions, like Fr Bede Griffiths, Fr Thomas Merton, Dalai Lama, Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki, Abraham Heschel, Buddhadasa, Thich Nhat Hanh, the depth of human experience that these people shared is remarkable.

The main point that came out of these dialogues was that no one need surrender their individuality, their loved ones, their hopes or dreams, but in fact it was agreed that the best way ahead was to be true to them as far as they didn’t infringe on those of others – much like we already live in society. The only thing that we have to surrender is the idea of supremacy and dominion, which has been a problem even within Christianity, let alone in conflict with other traditions. This is the problem with what we observe being expressed in Russia at present.

Mad Man P wrote:Fear might well quell your speech and action, but only until such a time when you believe you might win the war and finally be free...

I do not believe you've figured out how to square that circle... and yet that seems to be your claim, but perhaps I've misunderstood you.

The very thought of being at war is a hurdle that needs to be overcome. Instead, we could understand ourselves as all on a journey to a common goal, travelling from different beginnings, along different roads, but finally joining our experience to the collective whole.
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby felix dakat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:36 pm

The purveyors of peace who seem to have started by finding peace in themselves and counsel others to do the same have always made the most sense to me. Begin by becoming aware of what is immediate to centered consciousness i.e. the body-mind and work out from there. The hope is that it has a butterfly effect.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:30 pm

Fun random fact. My university campus has a street named Mariposa.

The more you know…

…the more you have no freaking clue.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 pm

Ichthus77 wrote:Fun random fact. My university campus has a street named Mariposa.

The more you know…

…the more you have no freaking clue.

You know, sometimes I get the feeling that you're drunk when you post. Could that be?
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:58 pm

Not a chance.

- Irenaeus
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:26 am

A slave is defined by purposelessness and hopelessness.
A slave has no control over his/her fate, no purpose.

That you cannot understand this, demonstrates your (A)morality openly.
You are a slave, not a master.

I'm beginning to believe that Mastery is genetically inherited, and cannot be 'educated' nor 'indoctrinated' nor 'built' from the blood of the slave class.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:27 am

Mastery is directly proportional to Morality.
Slaves have little-to-no Morals/Values/Purpose/Meaning in life.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 am

The Slave is attracted to the Master, not the other way around.
There is no Gravity nor value derived from the Slave—no soul, no spirit, empty.

This is why the Slave "looks forward in hope", to the hope granted to him/her by the Master.
Slaves do not produce Hope; Slavery is a form of hierarchical parasitism.

Slave-nations cannot produce History or Culture.
A brief look at human history proves this within the first few pages.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:36 am

What is the greatest difference between Master and Slave, except Ambition?
Willpower, Capability, Ethos of Magnificence, the Master has (genetic) Dreams the Slave cannot comprehend.

Hope is a Somatic phenomenon.
Those with low/no morality, have no Dreams worth remembering, let alone any worth realizing.

When Power is granted to the Slave, Anarchy and Destruction follow.
When Power is granted to the Master, Monarchy and Creation follow.

Hope is perverted in the Slave-class.
Slaves "hope" for the Apocalypse and Cataclysm.
Slaves "hope" for death, suffering, and torture.
The Slave "hope" is Nihilism.

Which does the OP represent???
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Sculptor » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:37 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:A slave is defined by purposelessness and hopelessness.

I'm beginning to believe that Mastery is genetically inherited, and cannot be 'educated' nor 'indoctrinated' nor 'built' from the blood of the slave class.

No surprises there.
We all know that you are self deluded and think yourself superior.
But most of the people on the forum know you are just a slave to the endemic ideology which makes you think that way because that is how the establishment control people like you. They throw you a few maggoty carrots to make sure you are alienated from the people; because a divided people are most likely to be enslaved, Divide and rule.
And you have not only sucked but you have swallowed as well.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:39 am

What do the Abrahamic religions teach?
Jews-Christians-Moslems?

That if you die, then you go to Paradise.
Utopia is on the other side of Death.

How is this not a Slave-morality?
How is this not a Slave-mindset?
How is this not a Slave-dialectic?

"Paradise"
But only after You Die.
Is this not a call for you to kill yourself?
Show me where I'm wrong.
I know most of you morons on this forum are dying to prove me wrong, so do it....
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:41 am

It's not about me "knowing" my superiority.
It's more about a Guess. Philosophy is guessing, until it becomes Science.
But when you keep guessing right again, and again, and again, and again, then it starts to solidify into Belief.

I'm waiting ...prove me wrong.
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:34 am

felix dakat wrote:The purveyors of peace who seem to have started by finding peace in themselves and counsel others to do the same have always made the most sense to me. Begin by becoming aware of what is immediate to centered consciousness i.e. the body-mind and work out from there. The hope is that it has a butterfly effect.

I can only agree with you, but there seems to be the question “what is a human being?” that we haven’t been able to satisfactorily find a consensus on, and when you don’t have agreement on such a basic question, humans tend to challenge each other on it. I believe that we are an emanation of a cosmic consciousness, manifest in mortal bodies, but having a divine spark, as it were. If we could understand, wake up to the idea that it is to this common beginning that we will all return, perhaps we could make something better happen than we read in history books and current affairs.
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:58 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:A slave is defined by purposelessness and hopelessness.

If mastery is depicted by repeating the same old garbage over and over again, then I’m glad I’ve foregone your development. Your incessant repetition reveals a lack of acknowledgement from your peers, and you’re seeking it here.

If you have inherited this condition, then you clearly are unable to make any progress. Perhaps you are just working your way backwards.

Mastery is directly proportional to Morality.
Slaves have little-to-no Morals/Values/Purpose/Meaning in life.

So you see yourself as a morally superior person, with higher values, and with a purpose or meaning in life. That must be to be the biggest bore in the world, that tugs on the shirt of anyone who will listen, telling them what they don’t want to know.

The Slave is attracted to the Master, not the other way around.
There is no Gravity nor value derived from the Slave—no soul, no spirit, empty.

This is why the Slave "looks forward in hope", to the hope granted to him/her by the Master.
Slaves do not produce Hope; Slavery is a form of hierarchical parasitism.

This does beg the question as to why you are attracted to us on this forum, and why you don’t look for someone who may be attracted to you … because we are not.

Slave-nations cannot produce History or Culture.
A brief look at human history proves this within the first few pages.

I doubt whether you have ever opened a history book. It would be boring for you because you do not appear in it. The sorry fact is that you know that you are a nobody …

What is the greatest difference between Master and Slave, except Ambition?
Willpower, Capability, Ethos of Magnificence, the Master has (genetic) Dreams the Slave cannot comprehend.

Well, why don’t you run off and show someone what ambition you have. You could demonstrate your willpower and create something someone might remember you by. They might even remember your name. We won’t …

Hope is a Somatic phenomenon.
Those with low/no morality, have no Dreams worth remembering, let alone any worth realizing.

When Power is granted to the Slave, Anarchy and Destruction follow.
When Power is granted to the Master, Monarchy and Creation follow.

Well, go off and look for your monarch, and try and create something worthwhile.

Hope is perverted in the Slave-class.
Slaves "hope" for the Apocalypse and Cataclysm.
Slaves "hope" for death, suffering, and torture.
The Slave "hope" is Nihilism.

Which does the OP represent???

“A look forward in hope” is an expression meaning a desire for a future in which humanity can build a future in which children can flourish, accompanied by an expectation or belief in fulfilment.

So, you are now back on “ignore” …
TS Eliot
Bob
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Bob wrote:So, you are now back on “ignore” …

You never fail to disappoint though!

Utopia, AFTER you die, and as long as you do exactly as I say.
If you look at me wrong, then you go to Hell instead.

Is this not your 'Hope'???
Still waiting to be wrong ...please? Anyone?!
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:11 pm

This Slave-Dialectic is too predictable.
How many Millenniums is "Humanity" going to tolerate this bullshyte?

Again, how am I wrong?
Utopia (what you claim is your "Hope"), AFTER you die,
And AFTER you do exactly as I say, for your whole lifetime,
If you fuck up once, then you burn in the Lake of Fire.

What is "Hopeful" about this?
Isn't this the basis of your Hope?

And then you have the nerve to attack me???
Did I invent your Superstitions?
Did I place you into this bondage?
Do I not show you your chains?
Yet still you deny they bind you?
Urwrongx1000
ILP Legend

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality