A paradox in protecting beliefs from cultural appropriation

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: A paradox in protecting beliefs from cultural appropriat

Postby Sculptor » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:31 pm

There is no paradox in protecting beliefs from CA, since there is no basis for the concept of CA which is essentially a racist concept.
I can only think of one area where such an idea might be applicable to protect the vulnerable.
Westerners' attempts to copyright the genomes of plants and animals found in the third world to stop the countries of the third world from using those plants and animals is economic imperialism.
Ichthus77 loves himself
Sculptor
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:41 pm

_
Sculptor.. why is this Jain Tirthankara dressed in alien garms? Is he culturally appropriating Aliens? I am asking you because you studied History, and not because I’m being facetious.

8D091C6C-9FAD-4E93-9CC3-FF201861EB63.jpeg
8D091C6C-9FAD-4E93-9CC3-FF201861EB63.jpeg (140.31 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Last edited by MagsJ on Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:47 pm

Sculptor wrote:There is no paradox in protecting beliefs from CA, since there is no basis for the concept of CA which is essentially a racist concept.
I can only think of one area where such an idea might be applicable to protect the vulnerable.
Westerners' attempts to copyright the genomes of plants and animals found in the third world to stop the countries of the third world from using those plants and animals is economic imperialism.

Yea, when Monsanto tried to appropriate Nature.. about that, right?

Patenting the natural, in exchange for crappy high-lectin and therefore toxic to humans by default, not superior GMO produce.

Feed the world.. cause global disaster.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. ~MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something important at some point in time.. Huh!? ~MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a very bad DJ ~MagsJ

Examine what is said, not him who speaks ~Arab proverb

aes Sanātana Dharma Pali: the eternal way ~it should not be rigid, but inclusive of the best of all knowledge for the sake of Ṛta.. which is endless.
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:13 pm

Sculptor wrote:There is no paradox in protecting beliefs from CA, since there is no basis for the concept of CA which is essentially a racist concept.

How does it stop them from using them?
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Sculptor wrote:
Ichthus77 wrote:Read the article.

Personality theory also builds off Galen. I’m not dissing all early study.

Like I said elsewhere, going back is sometimes progress.

But saying Newton was into astrology… there is no basis for it.

Yes there is - lots.
He was also an alchemist, and alchemy relies on astrology.
But you do not have to be "into it" to appropriate it.

https://www.newtonproject.ox.ac.uk/sear ... order=desc

This is lazy on your part.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality