(Dis)organized religion?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

(Dis)organized religion?

Postby Ichthus77 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:55 pm

So. When we come to learn that we hold two opposing ideas or thoughts to be true (not just hold them up to examine them), it causes cognitive dissonance that requires action.

Not to act is to act—to remain indefinitely undecided is to decide in favor of disorganized (confused) thinking. It is to invite mental weakness.

To hold thinking in stasis, or let the group-think (hive mind) absorb/absolve it, invites atrophy.

Religion is worldview, even if the view is blind to god(s). Do you want a disorganized worldview, or an organized one?

Of course, it must be open to updates, as evidence (including intuition) requires, as in science (never should have divorced from philosophy). But that is a far cry from disorganized.

The push against organized religion is as asinine as a push against peer-reviewed scholarship. It is a bad meme (as defined how Richard Dawkins coined it).

[Know any good systematic atheology — or other worldview — that is organized according to the same topics in common to every good systematic theology/worldview?]
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Re: (Dis)organized religion?

Postby Dan~ » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 am

What is your question here?
Not to act is to act—to remain indefinitely undecided is to decide in favor of disorganized (confused) thinking. It is to invite mental weakness.

Being neutral is often a good idea.

You seem to be saying, yes and no are both vital. But no room for maybe.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting my free game projects.
ImageImage
Truth is based in sensing, in vision. And we can only see when we are alive.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 am

Two propositions are contradictory iff they cannot both be true and they cannot both be false.

> You must say yes to both if true or no to both if false.

Two propositions are contraries iff they cannot both be true but can both be false.

> You must say yes to one if true (& no to the other false one), or no to both if false.

Two propositions are subcontraries iff they cannot both be false but can both be true.

> You must say yes to one if true (& no to the other false one), or yes. to both if true.

A proposition is a subaltern of another iff it must be true if its superaltern is true, and the superaltern must be false if the subaltern is false.

> You must say yes to both if super is true, or no to both if sub is false.

Maybe only happens *before* you know the true is true (say yes) and false is false (say no). When it’s maybe, we’re examining the evidence (including from intuition). If we’ve stopped examining the evidence, we’ve decided yes or no about existence—but that is not the same as *trusting* that existence. Even the demons *know*… but, they lack/withhold trust. And you can decide to trust a maybe while you continue to examine evidence.

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:45 pm

From the OP: “Of course, it must be open to updates, as evidence (including intuition) requires, as in science (never should have divorced from philosophy). But that is a far cry from disorganized.”

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ichthus77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:59 pm

A synthesis combines “yes” and discards “no”.

The original synthesis never had any “no” to discard, except that it holds a no/yes space to make our “yes” possible.
Attachments
B8701035-31FE-43A3-B86E-58C9453AAD3A.jpeg
B8701035-31FE-43A3-B86E-58C9453AAD3A.jpeg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Return to Religion and Spirituality