A Discussion of Moderation

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: A Discussion of Moderation

Postby encode_decode » Sat May 29, 2021 6:28 pm

Otto wrote:If I may guess:

Magnus Anderson and Obsvr could be sock-puppets of James S. Saint.

Magnus functions as a provocative questioner and moralizer, Obsvr functions as an admirer and deputy ("on earth") of James S. Saint ("in heaven").

:lol:

But please note that this is not an assertion, but a guess.

Uh, no. Not even close.

I will build a nerdlike structure in 2021
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Otto » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:21 am

encode_decode wrote:
Otto wrote:If I may guess:

Magnus Anderson and Obsvr could be sock-puppets of James S. Saint.

Magnus functions as a provocative questioner and moralizer, Obsvr functions as an admirer and deputy ("on earth") of James S. Saint ("in heaven").

But please note that this is not an assertion, but a guess.

Uh, no. Not even close.

That was not even close a guess?

I can guarantee you, that was a guess.

You wouldn't happen to be, after the above two, the third sock puppet, would you? :lol:

Just joking .... Sorry.
Otto

Postby encode_decode » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm

Otto, Otto, Otto...whatever shall we do with you?

Otto wrote:That was not even close a guess?

I can guarantee you, that was a guess.

You wouldn't happen to be, after the above two, the third sock puppet, would you? :lol:

Just joking .... Sorry

There is no need to be sorry, I found it rather, hilarious. What purpose would James have for even one sock puppet? There are plenty of puppets already!

Yes, you made a guess. In terms of estimation, however, there is an error in the judgment of the value regarding James having the motivation behind using a sock puppet, to begin with.

encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:58 am

encode_decode wrote:
Kathrina wrote:Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.

Yes, I agree with: good questioner - actually a good question can encourage a fruitful conversation much like a good argument.

I agree too, Kathrina.

One can't really do much wrong with a question in an opening post. Well, it has to be appropriate to the forum and the subforum where the thread with the question is to be opened, and it has to be serious, understandable and not offensive.
Alf

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 am

Artimas wrote:I would mod but would have to get on here more, like I used to.

Would you "invest" more time in ILP if you were a moderator?
Alf

Postby Meno_ » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 am

The standard should stay liberal, all points of view have some merit, some more then others, for the sake of preserving freedom of speech.

All else are twisted and hidden prejudicial cover-ups.

But maybe a ILP voting should commence, although it may become a microcosm of what's 'out there' and mimic the hurrendous political atmosphere of senseless confusion.

But even confusion has a meaningful correlate to some reason for allowence.

Moderators should be a cut above!
Meno_
breathless

Postby Alf » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:45 pm

Meno_ wrote:The standard should stay liberal, all points of view have some merit, some more then others, for the sake of preserving freedom of speech.

But maybe a ILP voting should commence, although it may become a microcosm of what's 'out there' and mimic the hurrendous political atmosphere of senseless confusion.

Do you mean that moderators should be a class of their own?

Do you want class warfare?

Are you still a Hungarian communist?

Come on, comrade, have a drink first. :lol:

- Https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtop ... 2#p2686202
Alf

Postby Meno_ » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:18 am

Alf wrote:
Meno_ wrote:The standard should stay liberal, all points of view have some merit, some more then others, for the sake of preserving freedom of speech.

Actually, maybe. But as being Hungarian, i'm hangin'.

But maybe merely a hun-g-Aryan.
Meno_
breathless

Alf wrote:

Meno_
breathless

Alf wrote:

Meno_
breathless

Alf wrote:

Meno_
breathless

Postby Sleyor Wellhuxwell » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 pm

"Hun-g-Aryan"?
Sleyor Wellhuxwell

Postby encode_decode » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 am

A sensation really...in more way than one...

Meno_ wrote:Actually, maybe. But as being Hungarian, i'm hangin'.

Attila the Hun-g-Aryan - terror of Romans and seed of formation, having too, Venetian results.

"the Sword of Attila had been presented to Otto of Nordheim by the exiled queen of Hungary, Anastasia of Kiev"

Quite fitting...all things considered.

encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Otto » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 pm

Otto von Northeim was one of my ancestors. As true as I write here, folks.

If he were a moderator here, all would be right with the world again. **

Also:

A new moderation is no solution.
What we need is an old revolution.

Otto

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:23 am

Otto wrote:Otto von Northeim was one of my ancestors. As true as I write here, folks.

If he were a moderator here, all would be right with the world again. **

Also:

A new moderation is no solution.
What we need is an old revolution.

Ahh.. I had wondered if there was any connection between you and a famous Otto.. I’m sure his moderation style would be awe-inspiringly impeccable.

I had also wondered who the Saxons actually were.. never having met an actual Saxon, so now I know the Saxon lineage.

Why is it Anglo-Saxon, and not just Anglo or Saxon? Did they merge at some point?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Postby Otto » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:15 pm

The Anglo-Saxons were called "Anglo-Saxons" because they came from Saxony (Old Saxony) and from Angles. Today there are still areas and peoples called Saxons and Angles. Westphalia, Engern and Eastphalia belong to Saxony. Angeln is a peninsula in Schleswig-Holstein.

Otto von Northeim came from Northeim in the Eastphalian part of Saxony (Old Saxony).
Otto

Postby Otto » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Alf wrote:
encode_decode wrote:
Kathrina wrote:Or a question! A good philosopher should be a good questioner.

One could proceed in such a way that opening posts that do not contain arguments or questions are moved to the non-philosophical chat subforum. In case of repetition, a warning or ban will be issued.

Yes, I agree with: good questioner - actually a good question can encourage a fruitful conversation much like a good argument.

I agree too, Kathrina.

One can't really do much wrong with a question in an opening post. Well, it has to be appropriate to the forum and the subforum where the thread with the question is to be opened, and it has to be serious, understandable and not offensive.

Like this one: "Isolated in this Webforum?"
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 am

Otto wrote:The Anglo-Saxons were called "Anglo-Saxons" because they came from Saxony (Old Saxony) and from Angles. Today there are still areas and peoples called Saxons and Angles. Westphalia, Engern and Eastphalia belong to Saxony. Angeln is a peninsula in Schleswig-Holstein.

Yes, but why not just Angles or Saxons.. why Anglo-Saxons? Are they not separate Peoples? Did they bandy-together and become one Peoples? I am part Angle, so have a bit of a vested-interest in the 'why'.

Otto von Northeim came from Northeim in the Eastphalian part of Saxony (Old Saxony).

Nice..

A1B2DD24-19F0-4D03-B8DD-AFE2D3444C60.jpeg
A1B2DD24-19F0-4D03-B8DD-AFE2D3444C60.jpeg (164.87 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Angeln..

5B4CE862-4F6F-4D13-86A4-40F61698E51B.jpeg
5B4CE862-4F6F-4D13-86A4-40F61698E51B.jpeg (130.98 KiB) Viewed 211 times
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ
I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Huh! - MagsJ
You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
MagsJ

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:36 pm

Otto wrote:
Alf wrote:I agree too, Kathrina.

You have no shame, Otto...sneak in a quick advertisement...

I like it.
encode_decode
Philosopher

Postby Otto » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Otto wrote:The Anglo-Saxons were called "Anglo-Saxons" because they came from Saxony (Old Saxony) and from Angles. Today there are still areas and peoples called Saxons and Angles. Westphalia, Engern and Eastphalia belong to Saxony. Angeln is a peninsula in Schleswig-Holstein.

Yes, but why not just Angles or Saxons.. why Anglo-Saxons? Are they not separate Peoples? Did they bandy-together and become one Peoples? I am part Angle, so have a bit of a vested-interest in the 'why'.

Nice..

A1B2DD24-19F0-4D03-B8DD-AFE2D3444C60.jpeg

Angeln..

5B4CE862-4F6F-4D13-86A4-40F61698E51B.jpeg

Angles and Saxons are or - let's say - were separate people. They became one people, more or less. If someone tried to separate them again today, it would be pretty difficult, I guess.

By the way, the name "England" contains the word "Angles". You certainly know that.

And because I don't want to drift from the topic of this thread: An Anglo-Saxon as moderator would certainly be a good solution for ILP. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

encode_decode wrote:
Otto wrote:
Alf wrote:I agree too, Kathrina.

You have no shame, Otto...sneak in a quick advertisement...

I like it.

Thanks Encode.

I try my very best. :wink: ( :lol: )
Otto

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:37 pm

Otto wrote:Angles and Saxons are or - let's say - were separate people. They became one people, more or less, yes, because if someone tried to separate them again today, it would be pretty difficult, I guess.

By the way, the name "England" contains the word "Angles". You certainly know that.

I do indeed.. the Angles had a massive influence on the integral structure and infrastructure of Great Britain, with whole swathes and/or parts of the country being named after them.. including TV and radio broadcasting networks, a Religion.. tho I’m RC, and then you have angles.. geometry, and angling.. fishing, amongst (so many) other concepts and objects.

I am not so learn-ed on all things Saxon I’m afraid, as my European lineages descend from the Angles.. tho I have visited ancient and medieval Saxon towns, villages, and churches etc. in England. My mother’s maiden-name actually means English, but I only found that out last year, when I was researching the more in-depth origins of my ancestry.

And because I don't want to drift from the topic of this thread: An Anglo-Saxon as moderator would certainly be a good solution for ILP. :)

Are you implying your interest.. along with that notion? a calm and objective demeanour would certainly be a prerequisite for the post.
MagsJ

Postby Maia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 am

MagsJ wrote:
Otto wrote:Angles and Saxons are or - let's say - were separate people. They became one people, more or less, yes, because if someone tried to separate them again today, it would be pretty difficult, I guess.

I do indeed.. the Angles had a massive influence on the integral structure and infrastructure of Great Britain, with whole swathes and/or parts of the country being named after them.. including TV and radio broadcasting networks, a Religion.. tho I’m RC, and then you have angles.. geometry, and angling.. fishing, amongst (so many) other concepts and objects.

I am not so learn-ed on all things Saxon I’m afraid, as my European lineages descend from the Angles.. tho I have visited ancient and medieval Saxon towns, villages, and churches etc. in England. My mother’s maiden-name actually means English, but I only found that out last year, when I was researching the more in-depth origins of my ancestry.

Are you implying your interest.. along with that notion? a calm and objective demeanour would certainly be a prerequisite for the post.

The Angles settled in the Midlands, East Anglia and the North of England, while the Saxons settled in the South. This is still reflected in dialectical differences between those areas, and in names of counties, for example. The Angles, who, unlike the Saxons, migrated here as an entire tribe, were more numerous and for centuries were the dominant element in the population, and gave their name both to the language, English, and to the country, England. The term Anglo-Saxon dates from the time of Alfred the Great, who wanted to distinguish the Saxons in England from the Old Saxons who remained behind in Europe.
Maia
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 pm

_
@Maia: Ahhh, that’s where the Saxons mainly are.. in the South.

I did not know that the Angles migrated here in almost their entirety, but that would explain their influence on all things English and the language and Place names themselves, due to their dominant presence.. of numbers.

Maia said: “The term Anglo-Saxon dates from the time of Alfred the Great, who wanted to distinguish the Saxons in England from the Old Saxons who remained behind in Europe”. —that’s the pivotal moment in time and the reason behind the why that I was seeking. Saxons still remain in Saxony, but Angeln still remains uninhabited to this day.. since the Angles’ mass-migration to England.

My mind is now at peace on the matter, thanks. :D
MagsJ

Postby iambiguous » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Note to Wendy:

See how it works?

Just like the "telephone" game. There's the thread's OP...and then the posts at the end of the thread. You tell me how they are connected. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 am

iambiguous wrote:Note to Wendy:

See how it works?

Just like the "telephone" game. There's the thread's OP...and then the posts at the end of the thread. You tell me how they are connected. :wink:

No one, other than a moderator or “The Moderator on High”, can stop you from derailing thread after thread, but that wasn’t my only complaint about that particular copy/paste. My other problem with that Satyr paste was bringing unwanted, and quite frankly, overt harassment of an ILP member from another forum into that ILP member’s thread so that you are essentially harassing him as well, creating unnecessary drama. If Satyr interests you so much, bring over all the threads where he calls you a chimp amongst other creative names and place them in the sandbox where we can all weigh in, rather than hiding the shit where he holds you in high regards in the rant house. Or perhaps you would welcome my connecting the dots with copy/pasting Satyrs colorful posts about you in your non-rant house threads?
Member of The Coalition of Truth - member #2/2

"facts change all the time and not only that, they don't mean anything...."-Peter Kropotkin :evilfun:
"I can hope they have some degree of self-awareness but the facts suggest that
they don't..... "- Peter Kropotkin
. :evilfun:
"you don't know the value of facts and you don't know the value of the ‘TRUTH”... " -Peter Kropotkin :lol:
WendyDarling
Heroine

PreviousNext

Return to Meta