ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Zoot Allures » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:14 pm

(Zarathustra, "Of Old and Young Womlets", my translation.)


You know Saully, I once dated a womlet who made a mean omlete. With cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives stacked upon it. His time in the cave, Zarathustra did waste it. No love for a womlet and no chance to taste it.
Zoot Allures
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby perpetualburn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Carleas wrote:
perpetualburn wrote:[G]iven that A) her 15 most recent posts do not demonstrate a pattern ... of repeating the same (word for word) ideas over and over again...

Are you familiar with the concept of analogy? Because this is a bit like trying to explain something to Amelia Bedelia. What I'm trying to do, PB, when I "take the trivial case", is to show you that the general principal on which you're relying (the no-one-thing-was-enough-so-all-the-things-together-can't-be-enough principle) is incorrect, by showing you that it is clearly incorrect in a specific case: repeating the same thing over and over. Just as in the trivial case, no one post is basis enough on which to evaluate the act: to see the harm you need to take each post in the context of all the other posts.


If only someone would bake me a delicious pie for guiding you through the muck of your misunderstanding... I never said that one instance would be enough... I'm asking you how you are able to determine a pattern of misconduct if you refuse to actually look at and comment on the content of a user's posts (and leave the determining factors for a ban (like spamming) undefined))? You say it's based on the context of all other posts. So describe this relationship then. Surely a pattern doesn't form out of nothing?

You say at one point Lys was clearly told to stop doing what she was doing, but what she was doing was never clearly defined in the first place as a bad thing to be doing. You then use this piece of information to form your "context".

MagsJ wrote:To the op... if you too post on Satyr's behalf once more, you too will be permabanned.


I can't wait to hear how you'll justify this, Carleas. Perhaps Mags needs to be warned for her abuse of discretion?
As a pillar of rising smoke did my angel condescend and appear, standing without reserve on the exhausted banks of infinite sorrow.

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
perpetualburn
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby phoneutria » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:28 pm

Really, pb, are you arguing that after posting large amounts of satyr's quotes and being asked "stop posting satyr quotes", she didn't know that what she was doing was frowned upon? She then made 15 or whatever consecutive posts of satyr quotes because she didn't quite know where she fell in between bright lines?
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Aussenseite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Satyr, the man, is a published author. Are works by published authors also not allowed?

Or is it simply a subjective banning of words based on the subjective perception of the man behind the words?

Can we not separate the ideas and the words from the ego? Are we too simple and not intellectual enough to read and form our own opinions of the thought without you overlaying your personal opinion of the man?

Do we need to have our hands held through it, to be lead to a specific bookcase with blinders on or do you really want honest discourse on your forums?

Just wondering.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Being a "published author" is hardly a credential. I think by the time a kid graduates college almost all of them are "published authors" in some place or another. You can publish on the internet, you can self publish, you can publish something that your teacher wrote and get credit as one of the authors. This happens all the time.

If you're trying to compare the dude to an actual, academic philosopher who has published original work in a respected journal, or who has written a book that has been reviewed and accepted by the philosophical community, then I think you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 26064
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:30 pm

AS this will be the only time I shall comment in this thread, here
is my two cents. I don't believe in banning and I really don't believe in
permanent banning. The reason for this is simple. If we are old enough
to vote and old enough to get cigarettes and old enough to get guns, why
are we not old enough to ignore someone? If someone is posting some vile porno,
there are laws that make it illegal for you to post that and that is just dandy, no problem
with me because there are laws that cover you. now if you post stupid shit like several here,
we don't ban them because face it, we can ourselves figure it out that it is stupid and we
don't need to read it anymore. IN other words, allow adults to act like adults and
let us decide for ourselves if we want to get involved in stupid post or not. By banning you,
in essence say, we, the reader is unable or not adult enough to discern the stupidity of said post.
but we are adults. You by banning are saying, we readers are children and need help discerning what
is suitable or not suitable for us regardless of the guidelines. Your defense will be in the guidelines but
guidelines by the very word, GUIDELINE, is not an absolute and unshakable rock which cannot be
argued with. Guide...... think about the word guide. You either accept the idea that us readers are
adults in which case you don't need to involve the act of banning unless it violates some LAW in which
case you are covered. If someone calls me, a shithead, and you decide to ban, I do not want you to ban
for the very simple reason, I am an adult. Being called names as an adult is part of the territory.
I don't need my mom to stick up for me or my wife to stick up for me or my daughter to stick up for
me and I don't need you to ban. Let me react as an adult. I can respond or not and as you have noticed
I don't respond when the poster is not worth it. If you ban on my account, you have taken away the
fact I am an adult and don't really need you to act. I can deal with it. I am an ADULT.

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Aussenseite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:43 pm

mr reasonable wrote:Being a "published author" is hardly a credential. I think by the time a kid graduates college almost all of them are "published authors" in some place or another. You can publish on the internet, you can self publish, you can publish something that your teacher wrote and get credit as one of the authors. This happens all the time.

If you're trying to compare the dude to an actual, academic philosopher who has published original work in a respected journal, or who has written a book that has been reviewed and accepted by the philosophical community, then I think you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

I'm sure that all the philosophers in history that never were published in your beloved (read: institutionalized) journals and approved methods, should likewise be drawn, quartered and likewise silenced.

Consider that, if you would. Just for a moment. Think of all that would have been lost if that seal of approval was a necessary marker of intellectualism. All the ideas trashed, all the works and ideologies erased from historical record.

I have, in my possession, a book written by Satyr some years ago. It is well written, has some very interesting things to chew on. It's probably not to your liking, however... having not been sufficiently steamed, sucked of all value by editors and regurgitated for the general dumbed down masses. Beware free thought, sirs... beware.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Aussenseite wrote:I have, in my possession, a book written by Satyr some years ago. It is well written, has some very interesting things to chew on.


I dare you to quote from it!!! :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 37187
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby phoneutria » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Dude, that's like drawing a mohamed over here. Don't do it, ardi... don't... do... it.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby AutSider » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:25 pm

phoneutria wrote:Dude, that's like drawing a mohamed over here. Don't do it, ardi... don't... do... it.


Hah, that's actually a surprisingly apt analogy!
User avatar
AutSider
BANNED
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Arbiter of Change wrote:
phoneutria wrote:Dude, that's like drawing a mohamed over here. Don't do it, ardi... don't... do... it.


Hah, that's actually a surprisingly apt analogy!

Just creating an account over there/KTS holds the same analogy for us ILPers...they're trying to get more traffic (again) over there aren't they :icon-rolleyes:

perpetualburn wrote:
MagsJ wrote:To the op... if you too post on Satyr's behalf once more, you too will be permabanned.
I can't wait to hear how you'll justify this, Carleas. Perhaps Mags needs to be warned for her abuse of discretion?

I am a moderator, not anybody here's child!

Perhaps KTS should work on the abuse they bestow upon their members, and not worry about our moderating processes here, but thank you for your concern.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20298
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka/LDN Town

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby perpetualburn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm

MagsJ wrote:
perpetualburn wrote:
MagsJ wrote:To the op... if you too post on Satyr's behalf once more, you too will be permabanned.
I can't wait to hear how you'll justify this, Carleas. Perhaps Mags needs to be warned for her abuse of discretion?

I am a moderator, not anybody here's child!


Someone sounds cranky... The truth can often be difficult for children to swallow.

Perhaps KTS should work on the abuse they bestow upon their members, and not worry about our moderating processes here, but thank you for your concern ;)


Even Erik isn't banned at KTS. In fact, he's back to being blue! But the abuse is almost too much to bear...
As a pillar of rising smoke did my angel condescend and appear, standing without reserve on the exhausted banks of infinite sorrow.

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
perpetualburn
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby MagsJ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Trying to psychoanalyse me? Don't bother, you'll always be wrong ;) and using one's words against them is a futile hope that they'll stick... futile being the operative word.

The rest of your post is not my concern, but that of KTS.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20298
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka/LDN Town

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:40 pm

Aussenseite wrote:
mr reasonable wrote:Being a "published author" is hardly a credential. I think by the time a kid graduates college almost all of them are "published authors" in some place or another. You can publish on the internet, you can self publish, you can publish something that your teacher wrote and get credit as one of the authors. This happens all the time.

If you're trying to compare the dude to an actual, academic philosopher who has published original work in a respected journal, or who has written a book that has been reviewed and accepted by the philosophical community, then I think you've got an uphill battle ahead of you.

I'm sure that all the philosophers in history that never were published in your beloved (read: institutionalized) journals and approved methods, should likewise be drawn, quartered and likewise silenced.




Drawn and quartered? See this is the shit I'm talking about. I mean that statement is just about as close to a flat out lie and one can be. You guys are all drama and no substance. That literally made me laugh out loud. Do you consider yourself an honest person? Silenced? The bastard has his own forum and runs it like the moderator of an aol chat room in the 90s. He's literally the only one who gets to say anything, except people who are just saying the same thing as him.

You say you have a copy of a book of his that's well written and philosophical?

I have to ask how many books you've ever read and what you're basing that assessment off of.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 26064
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Peter, can you ignore a person who's sitting in front of your house blasting speakers all day?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 26064
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 pm

yep, I just take out my hearing aid. I can't hear a thing without it.

Seriously, ok, maybe not so seriously, I can ignore them. It is not hard. I don't take anyone serious
and them banging the drum won't get me to take them anymore serious. Just ignore those banging on drums.
After a while, you don't even hear um.

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8307
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Aussenseite » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:02 pm

mr reasonable wrote:Drawn and quartered? See this is the shit I'm talking about. I mean that statement is just about as close to a flat out lie and one can be. You guys are all drama and no substance. That literally made me laugh out loud. Do you consider yourself an honest person? Silenced? The bastard has his own forum and runs it like the moderator of an aol chat room in the 90s. He's literally the only one who gets to say anything, except people who are just saying the same thing as him.

You say you have a copy of a book of his that's well written and philosophical?

I have to ask how many books you've ever read and what you're basing that assessment off of.

You are right, I did wax a little poetic because I take censorship and banning pretty seriously. A lie however is stretching it a bit and getting a bit overly dramatic and dishonest yourself, aye?

I speak just fine on KTS, and am rarely mocked and when I am, it's usually because I said something stupid and was being called out on it so that I take a little deeper look at what I had said. I value that, just as I value you calling me out on my dramatic statement earlier. I am an honest person, but am occasionally rifted by my female hormones to be a little more Scarlett O'Hara than I meant to be. C'est la vie.

His book is a little difficult to read, as it was written many years ago but it is intelligently written and makes some good points and observations. I have read a great many books, and while it's not among the best literature I have ever read, it certainly has it's place and was a great introduction to differing ideas. As I've said, if you can set aside your subjective ideas of who he is, you might find what he is about more interesting that you think. I'd challenge you to try it, but most people just can't do it. They are too tied up in their perceptions of who and not objective enough to read the what and have honest discourse about it. A thick skin might be necessary in the case of Satyr but the payoff is a more open mind, another facet to the great kalidescope we call thought.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Erik_ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 pm

Perpetualburn wrote:

Even Erik isn't banned at KTS. In fact, he's back to being blue! But the abuse is almost too much to bear...


I'm black and blue, and I cherish every bit of the abuse :wink:
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Zoot Allures » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:21 pm

I bet you do. You better get back over there. Don't keep her waiting for you, Erik.
Zoot Allures
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2607
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 am

Primal Rage wrote:Perpetualburn wrote:

Even Erik isn't banned at KTS. In fact, he's back to being blue! But the abuse is almost too much to bear...


I'm black and blue, and I cherish every bit of the abuse :wink:
Don't come crying back to us, you dirty, dirty man... you'll deserve everything you get :violence-smack:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20298
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka/LDN Town

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:32 am

If only someone would bake me a delicious pie for guiding you through the muck of your misunderstanding... I never said that one instance would be enough... I'm asking you how you are able to determine a pattern of misconduct if you refuse to actually look at and comment on the content of a user's posts (and leave the determining factors for a ban (like spamming) undefined))? You say it's based on the context of all other posts. So describe this relationship then. Surely a pattern doesn't form out of nothing?

You say at one point Lys was clearly told to stop doing what she was doing, but what she was doing was never clearly defined in the first place as a bad thing to be doing. You then use this piece of information to form your "context".




You people delude yourselves. It is no different on Know Thyself, to any other slave ideology. You are led by Satyr and he is acknowledged by the contributors as their authority. If one reads what is written on that forum, there are no differing values, beliefs or opinions. The content is really a system, of "comforting pats on the back". There is no dissension, no controversy.

There is no evidence of original thought that deviates from Satyr's view points, only repetitive nodding of heads, all in favor say Aye" and sometimes there is not even that, sometimes silence, heads bowed in reverence, like Lyssa, it always comes down to "Satyr" for her. Is that original thought?

It is indeed easier to be led by Satyr, than think for yourselves for some people.

"A man who does not think for himself does not think at all".

Let's get real, for a moment.

A middle aged man who thinks he is Hannibal! HA

"You fly back to school, now, little Starling".
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
User avatar
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby perpetualburn » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 am

A Shieldmaiden wrote:You people delude yourselves


Says the Christian who has as her avatar a Viking character...Hell, you're not even a good Christian the way you try to slander people.
As a pillar of rising smoke did my angel condescend and appear, standing without reserve on the exhausted banks of infinite sorrow.

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/f6-agora
perpetualburn
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:57 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby von Rivers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:18 am

perpetualburn wrote:Says the Christian who has as her avatar a Viking character...Hell, you're not even a good Christian the way you try to slander people.


Yes she is.
User avatar
von Rivers
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5846
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 4:24 am

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby Erik_ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:29 am

MagsJ wrote:
Primal Rage wrote:Perpetualburn wrote:

Even Erik isn't banned at KTS. In fact, he's back to being blue! But the abuse is almost too much to bear...


I'm black and blue, and I cherish every bit of the abuse :wink:
Don't come crying back to us, you dirty, dirty man... you'll deserve everything you get :violence-smack:


Mmmm

So saucy....

Want to be my online Domme? :evilfun: ;)
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: ILP rules and the permaban of Lys?

Postby phoneutria » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 am

Mo is here, everyone. Mo is here.
*pant*
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

PreviousNext

Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]