Board discussion about Ad Homs

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:13 am

Dan brought up my motive for calling someone delusional.

Now that moderation is seeping more into the boards, I’ll open it up with this post as a discussion.

Everyone on ILP Ad Homs.

I’ll give you the most basic and encrypted Ad Hom.

“I disagree; you’re wrong”

Every counter-post has this Ad Hom imbedded in it.

The series goes like this...

“Here’s a fact you didn’t know; you’re uneducated on this, I’m educating you.”

It’s a polite way of saying... you’re dumber than me about this.

And these are the types of subtleties that set posters off.

It’s all there subliminally. I’m not into subliminal shit.

If I don’t think someone knows what they’re talking about, it’s as much an Ad Hom as if I call them delusional.

There are people who really don’t know what they’re talking about. I make an actual argument with different proofs in three different posts (which is no easy feat btw) - and they just repeat the same shit 3 times. By doing this, they’re calling actual genius: stupid.

How am I supposed to respond to that?

I’ve just put 3 times the effort into this argument than the other person did (actually, probably a lot more) and then I’ll eventually call them delusional.

And you know what? They deserve it.

This is a fucking philosophy board. It takes people their whole lives to come up with arguments, I get that, I get the stakes.

When I’m having actual discussions (aside from the spirit shit I talk about) and I come up with three different disproofs (which is hard as fuck to do!) and they just repeat the same shit without addressing one of them)... I’ll Ad Hom them. I’ll call them disingenuous at best.

When I insult someone (aside from simply disagreeing with them). I always have an argument to support the insult. I don’t do this immediately. I do it after repeated lack of engaging with the actual arguments presented.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:28 am

dude did you just write this entire post in an attempt to have a pass to ad hom all the time? like 90% of what you post here is you just telling people that you're some kind of cosmic genius and that they aren't capable of understanding what you understand. if you subtract your bloviating on the inferiority of others there is literally almost nothing left.
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32406
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:dude did you just write this entire post in an attempt to have a pass to ad hom all the time? like 90% of what you post here is you just telling people that you're some kind of cosmic genius and that they aren't capable of understanding what you understand. if you subtract your bloviating on the inferiority of others there is literally almost nothing left.


Oh, isn’t that precious coming from you.

A man who hasn’t debated or put forth an argument of any decent sort in close to a decade.

Debate me.

Seriously, debate me.

Nah, didn’t think so.

I suppose you’re just trying to be polite to me right?

As if you ever are.

You’re a troll Mr. R.

I actually do, not kidding here, actually debate things and add content on ILP.

I’ll debate you yesterday if you want.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:16 am

lol you're proving my point
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32406
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:43 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:lol you're proving my point


Ok. If you’re not a troll. We’ll debate two different sides:

Seriously, a debate in the debate forums:

Me: all sex is psychopathy

You: at least one instance of sex is not psychopathy

Seems easy right?

Here’s the do or die moment for your trolldom
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:46 am

your claim is that all sex is psychopathy and you're calling me a troll. am i understanding this correctly?
pending
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 32406
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:07 pm

“I disagree; you’re wrong”
That's not an ad hom. It's also not an argument.
“Here’s a fact you didn’t know; you’re uneducated on this, I’m educating you.”
That's also not an ad hom. Depending on the intent, it may be a statement of fact or an attempt to intimidate or manipulate.

An ad hom is the use of a personal quality to supposedly invalidate an argument.

For example, "You went to the University of Kalamazoo, therefore your argument is incorrect". "You're gay, therefore your argument is flawed."
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:41 pm

“You don’t know what I know, therefor you’re wrong”

It was a nice try though.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:43 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:your claim is that all sex is psychopathy and you're calling me a troll. am i understanding this correctly?


Trolls don’t make arguments that are valid and sound.

That’s called philosophy. Something you don’t do here.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:46 pm

“You don’t know what I know, therefor you’re wrong”
One reads that often on ILP.

But it's also not a legit reason why an argument is wrong.
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm

phyllo wrote:
“You don’t know what I know, therefor you’re wrong”
One reads that often on ILP.

But it's also not a legit reason why an argument is wrong.


It’s more than just actually saying it, it’s already implied in disagreements.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:09 pm

You choose what to think. You can choose to see that something is implied. You can choose to see an insult behind any statement.

Or not.
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:38 pm

phyllo wrote:You choose what to think. You can choose to see that something is implied. You can choose to see an insult behind any statement.

Or not.


If I tell you to fuck off, do you see it as a choice to decide whether I’m insulting you?

If I put you on a rack and torture you for 40 years in a basement, is it your choice whether that’s an insult?

How about we use your insult on top of that?

You put me on a rack and torture me for 40 years, and everytime you do it, you tell me, “well that’s just your opinion, actually, you have the choice to not see this as anything but two people just having a simple disagreement, why are you so weak?”

And here’s the question I pose to you.

Do you think your argument is sound?

I live in a world full of psychopaths. I have to deal with it everyday.

Is your solution to make me like you? More psychopathic than me?

Personally, empaths are more valuable than psychopaths. As hard as it is, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 pm

If I tell you to fuck off, do you see it as a choice to decide whether I’m insulting you?
A direct statement is different from an implied meaning.

None the less, the person on the receiving end of the "fuck off" chooses how to think about it and how to react to it.
If I put you on a rack and torture you for 40 years in a basement, is it your choice whether that’s an insult?
This is again different from statements. But the person on the rack chooses how he thinks about it.
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:13 pm

phyllo wrote:
If I tell you to fuck off, do you see it as a choice to decide whether I’m insulting you?
A direct statement is different from an implied meaning.

None the less, the person on the receiving end of the "fuck off" chooses how to think about it and how to react to it.
If I put you on a rack and torture you for 40 years in a basement, is it your choice whether that’s an insult?
This is again different from statements. But the person on the rack chooses how he thinks about it.


Dude... wow.

Even a masochist has a limit.

You’re just talking out your ass right now to defend some nonsense you said earlier to defend your ego.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:24 pm

You have no choice in what you think and do?

That's sad.
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:57 pm

phyllo wrote:You have no choice in what you think and do?

That's sad.


You know what’s sad. That you think having a choice is accepting shit on a stick even though you hate it.

You’re starting to lose my fondness of you. Not that you care.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm

There are things that I have control over and things that I don't have control over.

I don't have control over what Ecmandu does or thinks.
User avatar
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 13131
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Board discussion about Ad Homs

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:37 pm

phyllo wrote:There are things that I have control over and things that I don't have control over.

I don't have control over what Ecmandu does or thinks.


That’s not true. You could appeal to ban me from ILP, and if the admin and mods don’t care about arguments (or they just don’t like me), you can help control my life.

When it comes to controlling thoughts or even hearts...

That shit can easily be done by the spirit world.

When you’re in those planes of existence, the only thing you have left is your consent structure “I don’t want this”. You can be moved like a puppet, but there’s always (seems to be anyways - it might even be worse than this), your internal ability even though your thoughts and actions are controlled like a puppet, for some YOU that still exists with a consent structure and still has the capacity to think “I don’t want this”.
The purpose of life is to give everyone individually what they always want at the expense of no being - forever.

The biggest problem of life is the, “hey, I don’t want this to be happening” problem for everyone.

Welcome to thinking.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 16011
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am
Location: Duh. Existence. I'm sure that'd be wrong on SAT's!


Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users