SITE SUGGESTION: Ethics subforum.

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

SITE SUGGESTION: Ethics subforum.

Postby Ben JS » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 pm

A bit late to the party, but I think an ethics subforum would be pretty awesome.
I think it would belong listed among the other primary subforums such as science & religion.

To my mind, ethics doesn't easily fit neatly into any of the other categories,
yet still deserves it's own place beyond the melting pot that is the general philosophy subforum.
-
You may or may not have noticed, but we have a very passionate user named thinkdr who primarily focuses on ethics.
I think they alone have shared enough material to make the subforum an interesting place.
-

If any other users like this idea, feel free to chime in.

Thanks for your time, reading and any consideration offered.
Formerly known as: Joe Schmoe

As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison. [...] For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. - Mandela

Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering. - Dalai Lama

I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics. - Schweitzer

If you have any sense my friend, don't plant anything but Love. - Rumi

To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom. - Krishnamurti

We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist and forever will recreate each other. - Chardin

Ben JS
Human Being

Re: SITE SUGGESTION: Ethics subforum.

Postby Ichthus77 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 am

That is the Society, Government, and Economics forum.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Follow me for more excuses.
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Postby Ben JS » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:57 am

That currently may be it's best fit, but it faces the same issue as if something was posted to the general philosophy section - it's a melting pot where all sorts of different subjects are floating about. My idea was a space where ethics, morality and values can be discussed outside the mess and weeds of other issues - where people specifically looking to talk about ethics can go.

In fairness though, in order for it to be a viable place, people may have to volunteer / curate topics to be transferred over. Work for users / moderators alike, and based on the state the site's in, doesn't seem too likely... but even if this site turns into more of an archive, an ethics section would be a nice place to order things - and would encourage discussion specifically in that realm.
Formerly known as: Joe Schmoe

As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison. [...] For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. - Mandela

Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering. - Dalai Lama

I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics. - Schweitzer

If you have any sense my friend, don't plant anything but Love. - Rumi

To love is not to ask anything in return, not even to feel that you are giving something- and it is only such love that can know freedom. - Krishnamurti

We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist and forever will recreate each other. - Chardin

Ben JS
Human Being

Postby Ichthus77 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:52 pm

One could argue why have a philosophy forum on a philosophy site, as it covers everything.

This is also true of ethics, really. Of Society, Government, and Economics.

All else are just special categories underneath, really.

But I can see a “Theories in Ethics” or “Ethics Theory” subcategory underneath either Philosophy or the previously mentioned.
Fall semester ends 12/16/22. Apologies if I do not reply immediately.

“In choosing myself, I choose the other.”
- A marriage of Sartre & Levinas

“ Gloria Dei est vivens homo. “
Trans.: The glory of God is man fully alive.
- Irenaeus

Excuse #2 why I’m not dating: I want to be able to say I haven’t shaved in a decade.

Excuse #1 “I wouldn’t want to join any club that would have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

Excuse #3: I wouldn’t want to get too attached right before Mutually Assured Destruction.

Follow me for more excuses.
Ichthus77
ILP Legend

Return to Meta