Petition to perma-ban Harbal

A forum about the forums

Moderator: Carleas

Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 pm

For obvious reasons.

It's actually very sad that I have to ask for this. He should have been perma-banned long time ago.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:31 am

I disagree. He is so directly and unilaterally trollish that he forms no danger of anyone taking him seriously. See him as a homeopathic troll.
Image
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
User avatar
Jakob
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7193
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: look at my suit

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:00 am

It's actually very sad that I have to ask for this. He should have been perma-banned long time ago.


He has the finest sense of humour and expresses himself beautifully.

Rather you went than he.

Has that Nazi Forum you visit given YOU the arse. :lol:
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
User avatar
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Jakob » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:55 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:
It's actually very sad that I have to ask for this. He should have been perma-banned long time ago.


He has the finest sense of humour and expresses himself beautifully.


Voila. No surprises here.

Please ban this other person as well, mods - verify her trolling in any of my threads.

She has never made a serious OP, only makes sideline posts, has a grudge and cant help shitting on things that were made with love.

Send her home to the daddy she never loved.
You can't cure everyone.
Image
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
User avatar
Jakob
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7193
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: look at my suit

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Carleas » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

How is this problem not solved by adding Harbal and whoever else you don't want to hear from to your 'foes' list?
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 6107
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Magnus Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I vote for eliminating that feature -- the foe list -- altogether, because it has never really been a proper solution. It just ruins the continuity of discussions.

What's your excuse for preserving trolls on a philosophy forum? What kind of forum atmosphere do you want to create? Do you want people who will carefully listen to each other or do you want people who will create drama? Is this a reality TV of some sort? If the latter, then fine, but then, good people of the world will leave, and rightfully so.

Out of all the philosophy forums on the web, this is probably the one with the least strict moderation rules . . . not a good thing. The only reason I am here is because of Historyboy. He introduced me to this forum. Otherwise, I'd never have joined this place.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Magnus Anderson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Jakob wrote:I disagree. He is so directly and unilaterally trollish that he forms no danger of anyone taking him seriously. See him as a homeopathic troll.


This line of thinking depresses me. It depresses me because it betrays a need to prove to others that you are not weak, but strong, which is to say, that you're capable of enduring violence. It's unnecessary. It's what bullies want you to do so that they can continue bullying you.

We have a power to eliminate bullies. It's not like we do not have it. We do have it. It's just one click way. We shall not allow bullies to paralyze us psychologically into not being able to use it. Moreover, we have a very clear reason to ban this particular bully. It's not like our judgment is blurred by our emotions. It's pretty clear that Harbal is a troll. So we should ban him.

And being a need (to prove that you're strong), rather than will (which is outward looking), it's selfish, which manifests itself when you take it for granted that everyone will be able to endure violence. Why are you so sure of that?
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:16 am

I've been on the net for over 20 years...

It never even occurred to me to ignore someone...

I think you have an issue..
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Carleas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:What's your excuse for preserving trolls on a philosophy forum?

I reject the premise of the question. What you're really asking is, "What's your excuse for preserving [people Magnus Anderson deems trolls] on a philosophy forum?" And the answer is that what ruffles Magnus Anderson's feathers isn't what ruffles everyone's feathers; trolls-for-you is not the same thing as trolls simpliciter.

So foe people you don't like and don't deal with them, problem solved.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 6107
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Back when all there was, was usenet and irc, they still exist btw!! It was much crazier !!

If you can't handle the insanity, I don't know what to say to you.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Back when all there was, was usenet and irc, they still exist btw!! It was much crazier !!

If you can't handle the insanity, I don't know what to say to you.


I'm not saying Harbal is insane btw..,

Just that you may have a low threshold
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Harbal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
I'm not saying Harbal is insane btw..,
I'm so glad about that, I'm not too keen on being known as the mad troll.
User avatar
Harbal
Thinker
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:36 pm

Harbal wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:
I'm not saying Harbal is insane btw..,
I'm so glad about that, I'm not too keen on being known as the mad troll.


There's nothing terrible about being a forum's honorary troll. Wear it like a badge of honor and with pride Harbal.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Image
User avatar
Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit
 
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:31 am
Location: Concrete Wilderness.

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:41 pm

HaHaHa wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:
I'm not saying Harbal is insane btw..,
I'm so glad about that, I'm not too keen on being known as the mad troll.


There's nothing terrible about being a forum's honorary troll. Wear it like a badge of honor and with pride Harbal.


Well... To give Harbal a little advice...

Don't just say "you're wrong" when an argument hasn't even been given yet which counters the op, and then say nothing else !!

Say, "you're wrong because..." And list a reason that us not just ad hom !
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Harbal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Jakob wrote: See him as a homeopathic troll.
How does that work? Presumably you get your post disrupted and then offered treatment for your minor ailments.
User avatar
Harbal
Thinker
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Harbal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Ecmandu wrote:
Well... To give Harbal a little advice...

Don't just say "you're wrong" when an argument hasn't even been given yet which counters the op, and then say nothing else !!

Say, "you're wrong because..." And list a reason that us not just ad hom !
Yes, you are perfectly right. All I would say in my defence is that I try to only do it when the post in question is so absurd that the reasons for criticising it are self evident.
User avatar
Harbal
Thinker
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:18 pm

Harbal wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:
Well... To give Harbal a little advice...

Don't just say "you're wrong" when an argument hasn't even been given yet which counters the op, and then say nothing else !!

Say, "you're wrong because..." And list a reason that us not just ad hom !
Yes, you are perfectly right. All I would say in my defence is that I try to only do it when the post in question is so absurd that the reasons for criticising it are self evident.



Yeah... So you should say "its self evident you are wrong because..."

You have to dig in with the "crazies", otherwise they aren't people, and neither are you!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:18 am

Carleas wrote:
Magnus Anderson wrote:What's your excuse for preserving trolls on a philosophy forum?

I reject the premise of the question. What you're really asking is, "What's your excuse for preserving [people Magnus Anderson deems trolls] on a philosophy forum?" And the answer is that what ruffles Magnus Anderson's feathers isn't what ruffles everyone's feathers; trolls-for-you is not the same thing as trolls simpliciter.

So foe people you don't like and don't deal with them, problem solved.


What you and other people don't understand, being selfish people that you are, who can't see outside of the confines of egoism, is that this isn't a personal problem. It cannot be solved with a personal solution such as foe-ing people (which is, moreover, not even good at that because it ruins the integrity of discussions.)

Harbal is indeed a troll and that is an objective truth, not a matter of perception the way you and other subjectivists think.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:20 am

I understand very well that it is not in some people's natures to be objective. And nature being fixed, something that cannot be transcended, there is nothing I can do about that, except to limit their behavior, to make it appear as if it belongs to another nature, which I do not want to do, and definitively not at the present time.

With that in mind, I will be leaving this topic, because as it reveals itself to me, it is futile. It is futile to ask so much as to ban someone who is apparently a troll because some people are by their very nature egoists who will be more than willing to preserve/protect such trolls.

What I want to say before I leave is the following, and this will be directed to people who need to hear this, not to Carleas and the rest who will dismiss it.

Carleas is apparently a people pleaser. He's your regular mass hedonist who takes people's wishes for granted and then works to make sure that everyone is pleased, rather then looking objectively at reality, beneath the surface of these wishes. This is his preferred mode of government because he himself is an egoist who wants to be pleased.
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Ecmandu » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:45 am

Carleas likes giving to others so he can receive joy. *gasp*

You know... Magnus, after reading your threads, I still believe I exist and I still respond to my name!!

Damned egotists !! Always being logically consistent!!

Unlike myself!!!

Just like me for being Magnus you assholes!!!

Otherwise you're a non contradictory egoist!!!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby MagsJ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:06 am

Harbal is not against being moderated one bit, but when I started moderating you the abuse was atrocious... you have only calmed down these last few months, but yet you are still here.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

You’re suggestions and I, just simply don’t mix.. like oil on water, or a really bad DJ - MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 20575
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Suryaloka/LDN Town

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Harbal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:50 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:
Carleas is apparently a people pleaser.

He doesn't seem to be making much headway with you.
User avatar
Harbal
Thinker
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 12:53 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Moreno » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 am

Harbal wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:
Well... To give Harbal a little advice...

Don't just say "you're wrong" when an argument hasn't even been given yet which counters the op, and then say nothing else !!

Say, "you're wrong because..." And list a reason that us not just ad hom !
Yes, you are perfectly right. All I would say in my defence is that I try to only do it when the post in question is so absurd that the reasons for criticising it are self evident.

That's no defense. It will never be self-evident to the person making that post, so as a communicative act you are simply derailing. People get to be wrong. They get to present ideas that are wrong and get criticism that is useful. And what is self-evident to you may of course also be wrong. To just come in and insult or write 'you're wrong' puts you outside potential criticism. Whereas if you take the time to demonstrate your criticism, suddenly you are now open to criticism. You may give yourself a pass because you have decided something needs no criticism, it is so obviously wrong, but what you are actually doing is avoiding showing your own process of thinking, and that keeps you safe from criticism where it might actually have some bite. I can't know if that's why you avoid justifying your positions, but it certainly seems like a possiblility.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Re: Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Postby Carleas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm locking this topic, it's effectively an ad hominem against Harbal. I should have done so immediately, and I apologize for the lapse.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 6107
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA


Return to Meta



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users